Judd is bad for pool

CaptainBly

Registered
Well, Trump is out. So no more concern from the Snooker crowd. He is an unbelievable shooter. Just a great straight stroke. IF, he concentrated on 9 ball he would be one of the top players, no doubt. His skills are that good. This week, however, he just missed to often and the misses left to many open shots. His break, at least today, was not bad but not top level good. Overall I thought he had a good showing.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, Trump is out. So no more concern from the Snooker crowd. He is an unbelievable shooter. Just a great straight stroke. IF, he concentrated on 9 ball he would be one of the top players, no doubt. His skills are that good. This week, however, he just missed to often and the misses left to many open shots. His break, at least today, was not bad but not top level good. Overall I thought he had a good showing.
He may be a great Snooker player, but in pool he is lowly shortstop speed. That's reality baby!

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He didn't do much more than I expected beforehand. Well... his break was better than I expected, come to think of it.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought he would do better than he did being that I thought snooker players were the best cueists. Maybe I was wrong about that. He had some good moments but a little more bad. He did seem to take it well and show good sportsmanship.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I think some have the wrong idea about what this was, this was a high profile sportsman helping to promote a Matchroom event of a different discipline, clearly this was not an attempt at becoming a "pool player". Firstly the preparation would have been quite different and second there is no good reason to give up a multi million dollar career especially when he is currently the best Snooker player in the world.
Any Pool players care to try out at Q School?

CaptainBly

Registered
I think some have the wrong idea about what this was, this was a high profile sportsman helping to promote a Matchroom event of a different discipline, clearly this was not an attempt at becoming a "pool player". Firstly the preparation would have been quite different and second there is no good reason to give up a multi million dollar career especially when he is currently the best Snooker player in the world.
Any Pool players care to try out at Q School?
I really hope no one thought this was a serious career changing attempt. I 'm pretty sure that everyone knows the #2 world Snooker player isn't coming to pool to earn nothing. He makes millions of dollars a year playing snooker.
But then again, maybe some don't get that?

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd was the second best thing that happened to pool in years. The first best thing was Jayson Shaw kicking his ass. The idea that a snooker player would never miss on a pool table and beat high level pool players with ease was dispelled to the dark pits of the snooker snobs imagination.

Judd brought more eyeballs and interest to the game than anyone else in decades. YouTube viewership of Judd vs Theron was 12,000. Right after that, views went down to 5000 for Shaw vs. Grabe.

Judd was good for pool. Very good.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Trump dog some shots too. One straight in the corner.

I think with some practice, he could be fargo @760.

Would like to see him challenge players like Donny Mills or Tyler Styer.

sonny burnett

Registered
I saw Trump dog some shots too. One straight in the corner.

I think with some practice, he could be fargo @760.

Would like to see him challenge players like Donny Mills or Tyler Styer.
I'll have to give Judd the doubt about that one corner pockett giving everyone fits, aka Billy T.

I think Diamond tight is different than snooker tight. Back in the early 90s Mothers in Charlotte put in new Diamonds in the back room with one snooker table. They measured the same but you touched the lint on the Diamonds it rejected the ball like it hit a trampoline with the snooker pockets receptive to the same shot. I'm sure there's some learning curve involved but certainly not enough to make a difference when Jayson caught the overdrive gear.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I think he did fine, with the template.

If he improves his shot selection, his overall game would skyrocket, quality-wise.

Just little things, like draw/ follow for a given shot, bumping balls, going out of a corner short vs. going long...

He's a BAD DUDE and he does not miss often. At this point, he turns the table over on errors too often...and he does it in a different way than a top pool player would, considering the top guys are concerned with pro side of the pocket, 2-way shots, position for the rest of the run...
I agree...

Pool snobs need to realize once Trump gains some table IQ he'll compete with the best.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m sure he will cry himself to sleep on the millions he made playing snooker instead of in parents basement like most pool players in the us lol
Some things in life aren't just about money. Just as most top pool players know they will never be competitive in snooker, most top snooker players should know they can't just pick up a pool cue and beat the top pool players. Being good at either one, and I mean really good, requires a learning curve that starts at a very young age. By the time you're 20 or so it's alreadty too late to make an effective cross over.

There have been rare exceptions with mid level snooker players like Chris Melling making waves in pool, and Steve Davis beating some very good pool players after he had worked at his pool game for some period of time. Jim Rempe was a top flight pool player who dedicated himself to snooker for two years, installing a 6x12 in his home. He really gave snooker a try and actually managed to get through the qualification process and into some high level snooker tournaments. He did manage some wins and may have made the final 32 a few times but eventually gave up the fight, saying he (or any other poolplayer) had no chance of winning over there.

The only other poolplayer that might have been able to break through would have been Harold Worst. He grew up in Grand Rapids and dappled in all the billiard disciplines there. He was a Three Cushion world champion at 24 and a dominant pool player in his 30's. He entered one big snooker tournament (the Michigan State championship) that had many good players from Canada in it. Harold made it to the finals and actually may have won it. I'm sorry but my memory is cloudy here. Worst was a man like no other I've seen this side of Efren Reyes, in that he could learn any billiard game quickly, and competed against the very best in a short period of time. I have no doubt that if he had applied himself 100% to snooker he would have been competitve with the best players. He was a savant with a cue in his hands.

Then there was Snooker Sam Blumenthal from Florida who was a great pool and snooker player. It took George Chenier, the long time Canadian champion, to take him down at snooker.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some things in life aren't just about money. Just as most top pool players know they will never be competitive in snooker, most top snooker players should know they can't just pick up a pool cue and beat the top pool players. Being good at either one, and I mean really good, requires a learning curve that starts at a very young age. By the time you're 20 or so it's alreadty too late to make an effective cross over.

There have been rare exceptions with mid level snooker players like Chris Melling making waves in pool, and Steve Davis beating some very good pool players after he had worked at his pool game for some period of time. Jim Rempe was a top flight pool player who dedicated himself to snooker for two years, installing a 6x12 in his home. He really gave snooker a try and actually managed to get through the qualification process and into some high level snooker tournaments. He did manage some wins and may have made the final 32 a few times but eventually gave up the fight, saying he (or any other poolplayer) had no chance of winning over there.

The only other poolplayer that might have been able to break through would have been Harold Worst. He grew up in Grand Rapids and dappled in all the billiard disciplines there. He was a Three Cushion world champion at 24 and a dominant pool player in his 30's. He entered one big snooker tournament (the Michigan State championship) that had many good players from Canada in it. Harold made it to the finals and actually may have won it. I'm sorry but my memory is cloudy here. Worst was a man like no other I've seen this side of Efren Reyes, in that he could learn any billiard game quickly, and competed against the very best in a short period of time. I have no doubt that if he had applied himself 100% to snooker he would have been competitve with the best players. He was a savant with a cue in his hands.

Then there was Snooker Sam Blumenthal from Florida who was a great pool and snooker player. It took George Chenier, the long time Canadian champion, to take him down at snooker.

i would say mark gray is the most successful snooker convert, followed by tony drago. both of them practiced pool more than snooker by the time they were at their pool playing heights. to think judd trump could beat elite pool players without dedicating himself to pool is ludicrous

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
i would say mark gray is the most successful snooker convert, followed by tony drago. both of them practiced pool more than snooker by the time they were at their pool playing heights. to think judd trump could beat elite pool players without dedicating himself to pool is ludicrous
Agreed. Both these guys made their mark (gray) playing pool.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Well I finally managed to watch the Shaw/Trump match, and Trump's game was pretty much what I expected. Weak in the moves aspect.

I struggle to see how any mid ~700 player would have done better than Trump honestly. The point jumped out on him in the first rack, and Shaw didn't give him another look for another what..?.., 6 racks? I'm not surprised at the miss in that first frame either. Just clipped a point that wouldn't be there in a snooker pocket. Same thing happens to 800 players all the time. That said, a miss is still a miss, and by my count Shaw actually missed more often...lol.

Frankly, the critics are being a tad harsh imo. However at this moment in time, they could repeat that set a dozen times and I think Shaw wins at least 10. I won't give him 100% because we all know how fickle the pool gods can be at some times.

I don't know how long it would take for Trump to up his table IQ. That's really an experience thing, and I have to think he can't be bothered to burn too much time in something that may actually hurt his professional of choice.

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will be interesting to have Mike calculate his FargoRate and robustness. I bet he will have an article with it.

Based on the three rated players he played, JT shot about a 730 speed across those 49 games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

telinoz

Registered
I'd like to see Shaw and Judd in a race to 20 alternate break just to see how close it could be
It would be nice to see that, alternate break makes a difference.
Judd is on Fargorate now, with a 725P.
Shaw is 825.
The Fargo matchup for R11 (can't do 20) is as expected, for 20 I would say Shaw 20, Judd 11. Best case.

Judd is good for pool, more TV viewers and you'll see more interest in Pool when British Open starts in May next year. He handled himself well, he is a classy professional after all.
His attitude was spot on, the last interview he said he needs to spend a year practicing and I think he has the pool bug :cool:
I look forward to seeing him play again.

Expect more cross overs, especially with British Open. It is after World Snooker championships.
Mark Selby is a former World 8 ball champion, on smaller ball tables but knows his way around pool patterns and tight tables. He could transition well. I see more of them playing Chinese 8 ball as well, good money in that.

That will be the difference though, more will take a serious go at 9 ball if the money increases vs. Some playing for fun when there is no Snooker on.
Matchroom will keep adding events, they seem to have a long term plan now and this is a good thing.