Interesting pool story in the news

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perry Mariano is a long time friend of mine. He is a good man who has dedicated much of his time and money to supporting the pool industy in the Philippines. Dennis Orcollo would have never made it over here without his support!

One other unsung hero of pool in the Philippines is a wealthy businessman named Sebastian Chua, who created Star Billiards, a huge pool complex on his company property in Quezon City. All aspiring players can practice free of charge all day and well into the night on the 30 or so high quality pool tables set up there. Chua also provides them with free refreshments. He does this for no other reason than to give the players an affordable place to hone their skills playing against each other. He asks for nothing in return. I've been there a few times and met Mr. Chua. There is nothing like this in the USA! It is the defacto training ground for pool players in the Philippines.

I salute these men and others like Mr. Puyat for creating an enviroment that has fostered and encouraged so many young men in their journey to become professional pool players. EVERY filipino champion you see who is playing successfully now has been supported and aided by these men.
This is so heartwarming and inspiring to read about, Jay. Few better to movingly, eloquently and clearly "sing" about such men -- sparsely sung-about heroes -- than yourself.

And now, a very practical suggestion: think about presenting these specific facts and the provocative human interest elements exactly as stated within, to the attention of the editors of at least half-dozen widely read weekly news magazines, also the editors of general interest sports magazines, and to the attention of those who welcome special-segment material such as yours -- that radiates positivity -- for various leading TV news programs.

Do this purposeful contacting with the specific intent of piquing the attention of exactly the right wealthy individuals and business entities who can become so stimulated & sufficiently motivated as to cause parallel creative things to come about for our beloved sport. Definitely worth the effort to try this. I know you have the passion. See what it can lead to.

Arnaldo

JC

Coos Cues
Put a strawman and then fight against it, like you are doing here. Go back, read the post by JC that started it all and then get back to me.
So even though I accurately described a huge portion of the pool culture in the previous paragraph you mostly objected to the use of the word bum?

You tell me what a bum is then.

middleofnowhere

Registered
So even though I accurately described a huge portion of the pool culture in the previous paragraph you mostly objected to the use of the word bum?

You tell me what a bum is then.
The term "Bum" has probably changed. It used to refer to a vagrant. Today it usually reffers to someone who is selfish with their time and interests. Such as a "Surf bum, Tennis bum, ski bum".
A person who devotes a great deal of time to a specified activity.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In my opinion someone who wants to get a sponsorship in any sort of sport has to be dedicated, focused and behave like a genuine athlete. There might be some exceptions in the American pool scene, but it's totally different in Europe. Look at all the European top players. They are athletes, but not necessarily fitness-wise. They are highly professional in practice and in tournaments ON and OFF the table. This professionalism is exactly what it takes to get sponsorships in Europe (besides some other minor factors).
You have to be profitable for a sponsor and represent their brand as good as you can. The best examples I have in mind are the Ouschans. Albin and Jasmin are sponsored by their home county and other local businesses from Klagenfurt. They don't take it for granted though. They regularly mention their sponsors on their social media platforms, do collaborations with them and so on.
As an actual athlete you have to work with your sponsors, it's a give and take and it certainly is a lot of work besides just playing pool. Maybe a lot of other players don't want to put in that extra work or don't want to take that kind of responsibility. Just look at the online presence of the top European players in comparison to American players. European players advertise themselves, they keep their followers updated and they are grateful for what they do. For me THAT's the difference in American and European pool these days.
It's called respect for the sport, of which very few Americans players have this for this sport. In AMERICA the MAIN emphasis with most pool players it seems is who can they beat out of some money, rather than dedicate the time and training needed in order to compete on the world stage along with everyone else. To most of them its more important to get the better players to give them some weight so they can make a fair game out of gambling, because heads up they don't stand a chance.

That type of player is a pool BUM! They can't support a place to live, pay electric bills, and thank God they have some friends willing to let them sleep on their couch. Girl friends or wives for the most part, are there to support them, God forbid they actually get a job, because it gets in the way of their gambling. Their biggest fear is not having enough money to cover their next bet, or at a minimum have friends willing to stake them in their next hustle.

And no, not all pool players fit into the BUM category, but a lot DO!!!

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The term "Bum" has probably changed. It used to refer to a vagrant. Today it usually reffers to someone who is selfish with their time and interests. Such as a "Surf bum, Tennis bum, ski bum".
A person who devotes a great deal of time to a specified activity.
So what do you call a pool player who hangs around a pool room all day long, asking anyone who walks through the door if they're looking for action? You see them in pool rooms everywhere, like furniture, just sitting around bullshiting with a friend or two, looking for the SAME action they're looking for, day and night, day after day!

Reactions: JC

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Absolutely not, but while everyone praises Matchroom and Predator for doing so much to help pool, those very same people should be asking themselves where's all the money going if they're doing such a good job of helping pools future, because I can tell you where it's NOT going, and that's to the players that SELL their products and services, without them, they don't have
Absolutely not, but while everyone praises Matchroom and Predator for doing so much to help pool, those very same people should be asking themselves where's all the money going if they're doing such a good job of helping pools future, because I can tell you where it's NOT going, and that's to the players that SELL their products and services, without them, they don't have shit to offer!
So don’t praise them? Maybe after salaries are paid, that’s what left for the players. Or are you suggesting business people at matchroom and predator should be doing it for free or at below market rates?

middleofnowhere

Registered
So what do you call a pool player who hangs around a pool room all day long, asking anyone who walks through the door if they're looking for action? You see them in pool rooms everywhere, like furniture, just sitting around bullshiting with a friend or two, looking for the SAME action they're looking for, day and night, day after day!
I think you're living in the past that's pretty rare anymore today in pool rooms in fact the guy would probably get asked to leave.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I think you're living in the past that's pretty rare anymore today in pool rooms in fact the guy would probably get asked to leave.
It is exceptionally common all over the USA. I wonder if that has just curtailed in Canada for some reason (I don't know, haven't been around Canada recently), or maybe just the case in the specific room/s or localized area that you frequent?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
ANY place USA that has a reputation for action, has the pool BUMS hanging around like the furniture, pool tables, and any pictures on the walls. They migrate in during the afternoons, and leave near closing, daily, unless there's action, anything they can get involved in, even if its just side betting. They have NO life, other than in the pool room, and don't be surprised if you see them sleeping sitting up, they're just resting their eyes, but watch them and see if they don't open slowly if they hear an unfamiliar voice enter the room, if only to see if its NEW BLOOD walking through the door!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So don’t praise them? Maybe after salaries are paid, that’s what left for the players. Or are you suggesting business people at matchroom and predator should be doing it for free or at below market rates?
Oh no, they're doing it RIGHT! Make as much MONEY as you can, and SPEND THE LEAST amount possible to MAKE those profits!!! Convince the public you're here to support this sport, so no one sees you robbing it blind!!!!

middleofnowhere

Registered
ANY place USA that has a reputation for action, has the pool BUMS hanging around like the furniture, pool tables, and any pictures on the walls. They migrate in during the afternoons, and leave near closing, daily, unless there's action, anything they can get involved in, even if its just side betting. They have NO life, other than in the pool room, and don't be surprised if you see them sleeping sitting up, they're just resting their eyes, but watch them and see if they don't open slowly if they hear an unfamiliar voice enter the room, if only to see if its NEW BLOOD walking through the door!!!
You have such a hatred for pool players yet pretend to be their champion. You are one weird guy.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You have such a hatred for pool players yet pretend to no their champions. You are one weird guy.
I know pool players because I too was one of them sitting around in a pool room looking for action for years!! Its a waste of life, because no one has tried to do a damn thing to change the cycle, and those that COULD have, fear changing it because they know they have to give up robbing their little piggy bank!!!! And most pool players are to damn dumb to realize if they get together, they have the power to bring about the changes needed, but they're to simple minded to realize they don't have, and never will have, living on the crumbs others feed them!!!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
"Bar Rats"... They have reserved chairs at the bar, and play only when they have a lock on someone wandering in for lunch.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It is exceptionally common all over the USA. I wonder if that has just curtailed in Canada for some reason (I don't know, haven't been around Canada recently), or maybe just the case in the specific room/s or localized area that you frequent?
You can quickly identify the 'Bar Rats' in Canadian rooms. The action they're after is chump change for the most part. I've seen them in every room I've stepped foot in. Canada is not immune from those sipping a single drink for hours on end hoping to fleece someone for $20.

Generally they are not 'players', but have just enough skill to take a kid's lunch money.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll chime in here for a moment. I will never fault a man for pursuing what he loves to do, as long as he does not do harm to others. After all I fit the critieria for a poolroom bum when I was a young man. That's all I wanted to do every day, go to the poolroom and try to find a game. Win or lose that's what made me content at that time of my life. Thank God my love for the game evolved into a desire to have my own poolroom, after I had seen so many guys who were just like me but twenty and thirty years older. I knew I didn't want to be fifty and broke!

I did see guys who went off the deep end and ended up old and miserable, and I saw just as many who made something out of their life. As or me I wouldn't trade my "poolroom" education for anything! I learned some very important things that have helped me immensely in the business world. How to spot a con man being just one of them. Being able to negotiate a business deal/contract is not that much different than making a game playing pool. It's all about getting a feel for your opponent and finding out what works for both you and them.

Once again, my point of view is that most pro pool players down deep inside really love the game and the thrill that comes with competing against other good players. You can't put a dollar value on that.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'll chime in here for a moment. I will never fault a man for pursuing what he loves to do, as long as he does not do harm to others. After all I fit the critieria for a poolroom bum when I was a young man. That's all I wanted to do every day, go to the poolroom and try to find a game. Win or lose that's what made me content at that time of my life. Thank God my love for the game evolved into a desire to have my own poolroom, after I had seen so many guys who were just like me but twenty and thirty years older. I knew I didn't want to be fifty and broke!

I did see guys who went off the deep end and ended up old and miserable, and I saw just as many who made something out of their life. As or me I wouldn't trade my "poolroom" education for anything! I learned some very important things that have helped me immensely in the business world. How to spot a con man being just one of them. Being able to negotiate a business deal/contract is not that much different than making a game playing pool. It's all about getting a feel for your opponent and finding out what works for both you and them.

Once again, my point of view is that most pro pool players down deep inside really love the game and the thrill that comes with competing against other good players. You can't put a dollar value on that.
And that we can BOTH agree on!!!

I couldn't quit the hustle, the gambling, had no desire to, but I had a wife and 2 girls to support. As I became better and better at working on pool tables, in 1989 I had to ask myself a serious question. And that question was do I want to continue this life of being a pool player, living like a vampire, out every night looking to make some money, or do I want to be a pool table mechanic. Well, the calls to work on pool tables was more guaranteed to come in more often than the calls to match up with someone. So, in January 1990, I played Harry Platis for the last time, 14.1 race to 125, $16,000 on the light. He had me 121-52 and my whole life seemed to flash before my eyes, but I pulled it together one last time, ran 73 and out, took the cash, and quit playing pool for money right then and there. Been working on pool tables steady ever since then. From 1983-1990 working on pool tables was a past time that helped support my need to gamble, but for the last almost 32 years, its been my life, and I have NO regrets!!!

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Oh no, they're doing it RIGHT! Make as much MONEY as you can, and SPEND THE LEAST amount possible to MAKE those profits!!! Convince the public you're here to support this sport, so no one sees you robbing it blind!!!!
Honestly, I’m ok with that. They are a business and I, assume, in it to win it.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
And that we can BOTH agree on!!!

I couldn't quit the hustle, the gambling, had no desire to, but I had a wife and 2 girls to support. As I became better and better at working on pool tables, in 1989 I had to ask myself a serious question. And that question was do I want to continue this life of being a pool player, living like a vampire, out every night looking to make some money, or do I want to be a pool table mechanic. Well, the calls to work on pool tables was more guaranteed to come in more often than the calls to match up with someone. So, in January 1990, I played Harry Platis for the last time, 14.1 race to 125, $16,000 on the light. He had me 121-52 and my whole life seemed to flash before my eyes, but I pulled it together one last time, ran 73 and out, took the cash, and quit playing pool for money right then and there. Been working on pool tables steady ever since then. From 1983-1990 working on pool tables was a past time that helped support my need to gamble, but for the last almost 32 years, its been my life, and I have NO regrets!!!
Sounds like you and toupee Jay have made better career choices than some pool addicts.