It’s a Billiard not a Carom!!!

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I know it shouldn’t bother me as much as it does BUT… When im watching a match and I hear the commentators say carom instead of billiard it drives me nuts!!!

A carom is when you use another object ball to make the ball you are shooting. A billiard is when you use the cue ball to make a ball by deflecting it into another ball.

Why is this so hard to remember?

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it shouldn’t bother me as much as it does BUT… When im watching a match and I hear the commentators say carom instead of billiard it drives me nuts!!!

A carom is when you use another object ball to make the ball you are shooting. A billiard is when you use the cue ball to make a ball by deflecting it into another ball.

Why is this so hard to remember?
Evidently it's also hard to describe. Your description of a carom could also apply to a combination. ;)

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a kiss shot is neither but both.

you actually also hit the cueball on a miscue

where does the shaft of a cue start on a one piece cue

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's because they are...

CAROM - NORTH AMERICAN•BILLIARDS
noun

1. a stroke in which the cue ball strikes two balls successively.
verb

1. make a carom; strike and rebound.

IOW, the op is just stuck on his own understanding of the terms, not the accepted definitions...
The way I have always described those shots are:

A carom, or billiard, is when the cue ball hits one ball and then the cue ball hits another ball or makes another ball.

A combination is when the cue ball hits a ball(s) and a ball, other than the cue ball, hits or makes another ball.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The way I have always described those shots are:

A carom, or billiard, is when the cue ball hits one ball and then the cue ball hits another ball or makes another ball.

A combination is when the cue ball hits a ball(s) and a ball, other than the cue ball, hits or makes another ball.
1 ball hits another ball then 1 ball goes in, that's a carom.
Cue ball hits one ball and hits another and pockets or just moves that ball , that's a billiard.
Lowest numbered ball hits another ball and that ball goes in? Combination .

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 ball hits another ball then 1 ball goes in, that's a carom.
Cue ball hits one ball and hits another and pockets or just moves that ball , that's a billiard.
Lowest numbered ball hits another ball and that ball goes in? Combination .
You are correct.

I forgot about the “kiss”.

I know what the shot is, but had a Presidential moment.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the universal word “dab” to describe a pool shot of most any kind.

dabbing them since 81,
Fatboy🤩

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave says:

Billiards shot: a shot (also called a “billiard”) where the CB is kissed or caromed off an OB (e.g., to pocket another OB).

Carom shot: a shot where the CB is deflected off one OB and into another to pocket the second ball (i.e., a “billiard” or “CB kiss shot”).

Combination shot: a shot where the CB hits an OB into another to pocket the second ball.

Kiss shot (or “OB kiss shot”): a shot where an OB is deflected off another and then into a pocket.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the 'Billiard Congress of America Official Rules and Records Book.

BILLIARD. (Carom games) A count or score; a successful shot.
CAROM. (General) To bounce off or glance off an object ball or cushion; a shot in which the cue ball bounces off one ball into another is termed a carom.
COMBINATION. (Pocket games) Shot in which the cue ball first strikes a ball other than the one to be pocketed, with the ball initially contacted in turn striking one or more other balls in an effort to score.
KISS. (General) Contact between balls. (See kiss shot)

KISS SHOT. (Pocket games) A shot in which more than one contact with object balls is made by the cue ball; for example, the cue ball might kiss from one object ball into another to score the latter ball. Shots in which object balls carom off one or more other object balls to be pocketed. (Also called carom shots)

KISS-OUT. (General) Accidental contact between balls that causes a shot to fail.
the link above is a great reference
you can see that they dont have a definition for billiard for pocket games

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People like to nit pick little stuff to feel important.

Soda, or Pop is also interchangeable, drinks.

Downunder they call Beer, Piss. Think they might be on to something as if your drink many BeerS, you do Piss.🤩
Also, after you finish the first one , the next 20 taste like piss.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
S
Dr. Dave says:

Billiards shot: a shot (also called a “billiard”) where the CB is kissed or caromed off an OB (e.g., to pocket another OB).

Carom shot: a shot where the CB is deflected off one OB and into another to pocket the second ball (i.e., a “billiard” or “CB kiss shot”).

Combination shot: a shot where the CB hits an OB into another to pocket the second ball.

Kiss shot (or “OB kiss shot”): a shot where an OB is deflected off another and then into a pocket.

Count me as “guilty” in using carom, billiard, and kiss interchangeably in American pool. I don’t consider the term “kiss” different other than distance. And even that’s a bit vague for me. Same with ticky. There’s some undefined distance off the cushion that it’s no longer a ticky for me.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the 'Billiard Congress of America Official Rules and Records Book.

BILLIARD. (Carom games) A count or score; a successful shot.
CAROM. (General) To bounce off or glance off an object ball or cushion; a shot in which the cue ball bounces off one ball into another is termed a carom.
COMBINATION. (Pocket games) Shot in which the cue ball first strikes a ball other than the one to be pocketed, with the ball initially contacted in turn striking one or more other balls in an effort to score.
KISS. (General) Contact between balls. (See kiss shot)

KISS SHOT. (Pocket games) A shot in which more than one contact with object balls is made by the cue ball; for example, the cue ball might kiss from one object ball into another to score the latter ball. Shots in which object balls carom off one or more other object balls to be pocketed. (Also called carom shots)

KISS-OUT. (General) Accidental contact between balls that causes a shot to fail.
the link above is a great reference
you can see that they dont have a definition for billiard for pocket games
Maybe the OP just learned something. Maybe not. Within those definitions, carom shot is both described with the cueball doing the caroming (Carom) and object ball caroming (Kiss Shot).

Last edited: