What air compressor are you using?

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got rid of my big noisy air compressor in my shop because I’m running out of room and damn that thing was noisy!!! What compressor are you guys using and what size and scfm? I want something that will fit under a work bench and is quiet. Im looking at a California Air 10020chad right now but I’m open to other options

I’m going to build a new shop in about 3 years and I’ll put my compressor and vacuum system outside then but for now I need something that is small and quieter.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
What are your requirements? Are you running an air grinder? spraying clear? I need quite a bit of CFM for my air spindle setup, so I have a large 6HP compressor in a shed I built next to the shop. If you want really quiet, Fortress Ultra Quiet from Harbor Freight are actually pretty decent. I have a small one for doing tables, and it's really quiet.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
California Air Tools is the most quiet afaik. I have two. One for spraying has aluminum tank. 8 gallon tank is fine for spraying .
For coring , 15 gallon is much better . https://www.amazon.com/California-Air-Tools-15020C-Compressor/dp/B00QFH5NCM
I was looking at the 15020C or the 10020CHAD but I may save up a lil more and go with the 20 gallan 4 hp model? I think it would do anything I would ever need it to do in my cue shop.

I went and bought a used Charge Air Pro 4 hp 20 gallon that looks and works as new off FB Marketplace yesterday for $100 that fits the under my work bench bill but it’s almost as noisy as my old compressor. I know I’ll be able to sell it for more than I paid for it, until I can afford the compressor I need.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
abac-spinn-jpg.613079
If you want a quiet system that delivers plenty of air, you have to step out of the consumer and even the prosumer market.
My compressor has a 200L tank, 3hp motor, airdryer all hooked up to a Prevost air line system. Cost was about $3000.
The one I have seems to be sold all over Europe, I'm sure you can find a similar one in the states.
abac spinn.jpg

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're going to spend real money on a compressor I would strongly encourage you go with a rotary screw type compressor. They are, by far, the quietest compressors available.

Additionally, compressors that require oil are much more quiet than oiless types.

And if you're sticking the compressor under a bench grab some plywood and insulation and put a box around it.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I wish I had a way of figuring out how loud 70 decibels is.
Not being smartassed, but there is probably an app for that.

I'm currently in the market for a quieter compressor myself. My dog doesn't mind the lawnmower, weedeater, vaccuum or any other loud tools, but let me break out the compressor and her ass hides in the back of the closet scared to death lol. I have to wrap it in a blanket and put in the shed with 100ft hose when I need air to keep her from freaking out. Thanks for the suggestions guys (y)

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
If you're going to do any coring/spraying with your compressor I would suggest a minimum of a 25 gal unit. I bought a less expense model (oil motor) for around 300$ over 15 years ago. Just change the oil every year and they'll last for a good long time. I built an insulated closet in the corner to put it in and piped the shop with multiple air outlets. Even in the closet it is a little noisy when it kicks but not as bad as just hanging out in the shop. If I had it to do over it would be in a closet outside of the shop area. Not gonna happen....when I'm done building in this shop...I'm done.
Even with the 25 gal unit I only run about 3 or 4---12 inch cores and let it cool down for a few after. It just can't keep up to reload the tank when doing a core.
Which reminds me............I need to change the oil! 👀

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
If I decide to buy a new compressor I think I will buy one of these decibel testers first. Thanks for the link.
You can use it to see what different noise levels are of different things and it'll give you a better idea of approx. where 70 db sits in the grand scheme of things.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Kobalt quiet series is around 70 decibels but it doesn't put out much volume. I'm going to go with a California Air compressor for now and buy a screw type with dryer when I build my new shop.

I picked up a 1 hp 8 gallon California Air on FB Marketplace and you can hardly hear that thing run! I have a decibel meter app on my phone and it was registering 68 db

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I had a way of figuring out how loud 70 decibels is.
A regular speaking voice is about 60db, a washing machine is about 70db, a vacuum cleaner is in the 75db range. So even if it doesn't sound like a drastic difference, if it's an enviroment you spend a lot of time in, there's quite a difference between 70db and 60db. A regular piston compressor is 90db or more.
Mine is 61db, which means I can carry on a conversation while the compressor is going and not hear much more than a faint humming in the background. I had a 25 gal/ unit and that ran out of air way to often. My current unit is 50 gal/200L, which strikes just the right balance.
I can't stress the difference of a fixed pipe system enough, no leaks and the air is much drier as the hose reels tends to collect moisture.

Last edited: