Ohio Open, US PRO SERIES

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A set as we have been using it is just more than one of something that is intended to go together. More than one spot shot, when there are intended to be four or more together as is the case here, is a set. More than one game of 9 ball, when they are intended to go together, is a set of 9 ball. Both are sets, just of different sets of different things, just like I said. But you know this, you are just trying to play dumb, and doing a good job I might add. See #2 under the noun definition of set if you really weren't playing and actually did believe that stupidity you are trying to argue.
You sure do love passive aggressive name calling...LOL. Agree to disagree. A set as referenced in the pool world doesn't translate to a single shot shootout, regardless how many shots we are talking about. Why aren't they referring to it as the spot shot set? Because it's a shootout, a contest; not an additional set. Similarly, in hockey or soccer for example, the tie breaker shoot out isn't considered and additional period of the game.

Reference definition #3.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
All you've done is defend it but you don't like it?? Whatever. No one's clueless here but you pal.
All I've defended is that it isn't horrible about picking winners, and that I find it hard to fault somebody for trying something new when the old has substantial history of not working well. Anybody that can read into that that I think this format is the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond clueless, I just don't happen to like clear falsehoods and idiocy (that this was like races to 4 and horrible at picking winners) so I addressed it, would have happened regardless of tournament or topic. You may not have to be clueless by nature, but you sure have chosen to be in this case.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
We will see how this format evolves if they hold it together long term. Pool just isn’t really an interesting thing to watch for anyone but pool junkies and the barrier for entry into the realms of “competent” pool play is too high for most people to bother with. That’s only getting worse as technology advances and becomes more addictive and seductive and people’s threshold for excitement is raised. The better a pool player is the easier and less exciting they make the game seem to uninformed watchers.

I know nothing of the pro pool / event promoting world but it seems like a fine edge to walk, with little financial incentive, plenty of risk, and a lot of players who live in a grey area due to necessity or jazzyJ syndrome. I’m happy to see a clear stream with good commentating. I don’t like the shootout but heyyy

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
You sure do love passive aggressive name calling...LOL. Agree to disagree. A set as referenced in the pool world doesn't translate to a single shot shootout, regardless how many shots we are talking about. Why aren't they referring to it as the spot shot set? Because it's a shootout, a contest; not an additional set. Similarly, in hockey or soccer for example, the tie breaker shoot out isn't considered and additional period of the game.

Reference definition #3.
Just because it can also be called a shoot out does not mean that it isn't also a set. It is clearly a set as well. Things can be categorized multiple ways at the same time, but you already knew that too.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I've defended is that it isn't horrible about picking winners, and that I find it hard to fault somebody for trying something new when the old has substantial history of not working well. Anybody that can read into that that I think this format is the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond clueless, I just don't happen to like clear falsehoods and idiocy (that this was like races to 4 and horrible at picking winners) so I addressed it, would have happened regardless of tournament or topic. You may not have to be clueless by nature, but you sure have chosen to be in this case.
So again, defending is not liking it, right??? I have my clueless moments but this isn't one of them.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
So again, defending is not liking it, right??? I have my clueless moments but this isn't one of them.
This is clearly a massive clueless moment for you. How is saying that it does the same job at picking winners as races to 8 even remotely similar to saying I like this format style?

Look, we all brain fart from time to time, and when we realize it it is best to just acknowledge it and shrug it off rather than to take the path you are choosing which is to continue to double down on obvious stupidity even after you've realized it.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I guess the real question is whether or not railbirds enjoy watching the format...for myself, I say not. But if you do enjoy it, by all means tune in.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look, we all brain fart from time to time, and when we realize it it is best to just acknowledge it and shrug it off rather than to take the path you are choosing which is to continue to double down on obvious stupidity even after you've realized it.
Kinda like you continuing to beat the drum the shootout is a set?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
We will see how this format evolves if they hold it together long term. Pool just isn’t really an interesting thing to watch for anyone but pool junkies and the barrier for entry into the realms of “competent” pool play is too high for most people to bother with. That’s only getting worse as technology advances and becomes more addictive and seductive and people’s threshold for excitement is raised. The better a pool player is the easier and less exciting they make the game seem to uninformed watchers.

I know nothing of the pro pool / event promoting world but it seems like a fine edge to walk, with little financial incentive, plenty of risk, and a lot of players who live in a grey area due to necessity or jazzyJ syndrome. I’m happy to see a clear stream with good commentating. I don’t like the shootout but heyyy
No sport on its own is interesting to watch. The problem with pool isn't that it's not interesting to watch by non serious pool players, it's that it's not marketed correctly to the casual player. The majority of watchers of golf are casual golfers. It's not really that interesting to non-golfers, although the format they've chosen and the colorful antics of some players helped to create interest to non-golfers. Also, pool is one of the few sports that doesn't garner fame outside of the sport and a lot of that has to do with the lack of money in the sport. If being a pro pool player meant becoming rich and famous, you would see a lot more casual player AND non-player interest.

Jaden

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Absolutely. Poker got a huge boom when Chris moneymaker won a $40 online satellite to the WSOP and walked away with millions. The next few years the entrants blew up. Plus you got the characters.

I love the pool stories. I don’t mind commentators talking shit about back in the day but a lot of people complain about that and say it gives pool a bad image. I don’t know. I’m a criminal minded bastard so I don’t know what normal people are up to or thinking about. I think player bios/interview/story type stuff interspersed throughout a tourney would be a cool thing

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda like you continuing to beat the drum the shootout is a set?
Nope, kind of like you continuing to say it isn't when you know it is and after it was proven to you beyond all doubt. Both terms are fully appropriate.
My God!!! Who gives a crap what the spot shot competition is technically called?!? I sure as hell don't. It's proves nothing. Move on with your lives...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the god of pool speaks, you better listen.
Its an open form full of opinions. None carry more weight than another. No clue who you were aiming at but if its me i really prefer 'king of pool'. Not quite so pretentious. Just don't forget to kiss the ring. ;) Need to relax brother.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its an open form full of opinions. None carry more weight than another. No clue who you were aiming at but if its me i really prefer 'king of pool'. Not quite so pretentious. Just don't forget to kiss the ring. ;) Need to relax brother.
Yes, I did leave that a little open-ended, didn't I?

As long as it's NOT a penis ring!

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
I find it hard to fault somebody for trying something new when the old has substantial history of not working well.
I can agree with this. I liked Jaden’s suggestion of a third set, win by two. I think the crux of the biscuit here is that the spot shot shootout will help keep the overall game time down. Will it continue in it’s current iteration or evolve?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In the end, the only questions that matter are these:

1) Will the elite pros enjoy this format enough to participate or will they choose to play in other events instead?
2) Will fans enjoy this format enough to attend / watch the stream?

It's certainly OK for them to be trying something new, but I, for one, don't enjoy the tiebreaker format. Perhaps other fans do, and perhaps the pros will gradually come to love this format. I'll keep an open mind, for I'd certainly like to see these events succeed and prove financially sustainable.