EARL STRICKLAND Returns to TEAM USA

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Earl's entertainment value peaked a LONG time ago. This won't turn out well. If he gets bar-b-q'd in his first match it will be all downhill from there. Wouldn't be surprised if Matchroom has a shill spectator who's job will be to have a fight with the guy. WWF is right.
Or if we get an Echo Variant - a boo and hiss track played to an empty stadium.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
love this news!

this whole format has always really been about entertainment,

the Euro team generally has the personality of drywall
Watching one of the all-time greats go out like this is not too entertaining in my book. His pissy outbursts were tiring yrs ago.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kind of look at this a little differently, I guess.

If your sitting on team Europe, who is the one person you absolutely DONT want to see on team USA...?

Congrats to Earl, and a big "Holy Shit" to JJ. (y)
Really? I bet their whole team is laughing their ass off. Not ONE of them will be intimidated by Earl.

BlueRaider

Registered
I was going to say the same thing.

Maybe a few years ago when I was naïve in thinking we had a chance, I would have been totally against this pick.
USA won back-to-back "a few years ago." It seems to me that team chemistry + coaching are perhaps more important than just raw talent in the MC.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? I bet their whole team is laughing their ass off. Not ONE of them will be intimidated by Earl.
It has been a while since I heard this so I don't know if it is still accurate, but back when europe was beating the US multiple years in a row, Darren Appleton said that the only US player that Europe would have feared was Earl. He could move the cue ball around better than anyone that had been playing for the US. Again, that was a while a go so I don't know if that is the feeling now.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an accident waiting to happen, and you can't look away. What's the over/under on how many meltdowns he will have?
Strictly for television ratings imo. But hey, that's what the MC is all about, getting TV ratings. $$$
Brilliant move by Matchroom!
Getting TV ratings on Sky Sports in the UK is a must for Matchroom.
This is their premier event and if this event flops in the ratings it could be devastating for all other Matchroom pool events being on mainstream TV.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been a while since I heard this so I don't know if it is still accurate, but back when europe was beating the US multiple years in a row, Darren Appleton said that the only US player that Europe would have feared was Earl. He could move the cue ball around better than anyone that had been playing for the US. Again, that was a while a go so I don't know if that is the feeling now.
Think those days are over. Their team is young enough that most of the players have only heard the stories. Look, he's in this deal for ratings. Simple as that.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Wouldn't be surprised if Matchroom has a shill spectator who's job will be to have a fight with the guy. WWF is right.
you-suck-jackass (1).gif

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Think what you will, but IMHO, nobody told Jeremy who he should pick. If you think so, you don't know JJ.
I would be willing to bet that Shane was involved, but not MR.

I think It will come out soon enough, just ask him, as I'm sure he'll be asked this silly question more than any other this year.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
This decision really just shows how bad USA's "pool crisis" is.
If the USA would have five or six high level players, nobody would even consider to put Earl on the team.
But if you have to decide between a handful of midiocer players, why not choose the guy who at least has the potential to cause some drama.

Wouldn't be surprised if Corey is the next pick for team USA, since it looks like the pool of players for Team USA seems to get smaller an smaller every year.
Ridiculous... I would think that it might've been suggested by Barry that they put Earl on the team. Everything is pointing to Barry looking to really promote and push pool. Earl draws audience. It'll be good for his viewership in the UK and for drumming up interest elsewhere. Aside from that Earl still has the ability to turn it on and beat anyone, so it definitely isn't a "we've got no one, let's settle for Earl" thing.

Jaden

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the same folks who are noted for saying "anything can happen in short races" are now saying we don't have a chance and Earl is a gaff pick? Well, which is it? You can't have it both ways.

Maybe MR and JJ believe that anything CAN happen in a short race. And if Earl happens to catch a gear and grab magic in a bottle one more time Just think about the mileage MR can get out of it...

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I kind of look at this a little differently, I guess.

If your sitting on team Europe, who is the one person you absolutely DONT want to see on team USA...?

Congrats to Earl, and a big "Holy Shit" to JJ. (y)
Exactly. Great point. They are already saying "oh fuk". They gotta deal with Earl, the mind games could be just enough to throw them off just a touch. And listening to Earl in their ears when they are shooting will be marvelous to watch.

This is gonna be fun. Of course, in a short race, the Euro's will not like this pick. Some guys need to shoot to warm up, get their gear going. Earl could wake up out of a dead sleep and fire in a 9 ball at 40mph. lol

Just sit back and enjoy.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
How do I get in touch with Earl? I'm sure he won't mind another paid sponsor. If he's going across the pond, might as well make as much cash as he can. I'm ready and willing to sponsor Earl. If anyone knows how to contact him, let me know. I spent a weekend with Earl when he played Archer in 2013 in Nebraska. That most fun I ever had at a pool tourney. Time to pay it forward, lol

Last edited:

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think those days are over. Their team is young enough that most of the players have only heard the stories. Look, he's in this deal for ratings. Simple as that.
Ohh I agree. Hence why I said it was like that and didn't know if it was that way now. He definitely isn't what he used to be. However he still has the potential to catch a gear so. I don't expect much from him but I could also see him playing well.