Another One Bites The Dust…………But This Time It’s A Long Standing Pool Room.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I will say what I have said many time before.

IN WILLIES WORLD, the Willie Mosconi’s autobiography, early on it was stated Pool has never been as big as year Willie was born. 1913.

middleofnowhere

Registered

IN WILLIES WORLD, the Willie Mosconi’s autobiography, early on it was stated Pool has never been as big as year Willie was born. 1913.
That was a whole different time. Movies were in their infancy, vaudeville was a big form of entertainment, and these are the same people that would spend hours in a wax museum. I can easily imagine pool having a pretty good draw.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

That was a whole different time. Movies were in their infancy, vaudeville was a big form of entertainment, and these are the same people that would spend hours in a wax museum. I can easily imagine pool having a pretty good draw.

Correct different time, and computers, and computer games were not competition. Hell there was not even tv.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Correct different time, and computers, and computer games were not competition. Hell there was not even tv.
In 1918 Charlie Chaplin before he was producing his own films was paid one million dollars for 8 films. A ticket price was 20 cents. Can you imagine the number of tickets it took to make that profitable for the studios. In those days the studios owned the theaters so they made it all.

But regardless, it shows how people were desperate to be entertained. Almost anything anyone could come up with, people would pay to see. I remember reading in NY city there was over 3000 pool rooms.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
In 1918 Charlie Chaplin before he was producing his own films was paid one million dollars for 8 films. A ticket price was 20 cents. Can you imagine the number of tickets it took to make that profitable for the studios. In those days the studios owned the theaters so they made it all.

But regardless, it shows how people were desperate to be entertained. Almost anything anyone could come up with, people would pay to see. I remember reading in NY city there was over 3000 pool rooms.
Wonder how many Pool Rooms are in USA Today?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
40% of small businesses were put out of business by the government's draconian lock down policies...Seems they finally won one of their wars,...the war against small business and the middle class.
I own a room in Syracuse...Covid lockdowns were severe and I can't say who was saved by closing our doors for months on end. Just up the road hundreds of people at Christmas Tree Shop buying nonsense while we were closed. Many bars, restaurants and entertainment venues closed for good here because of the lockdowns.

I received a tremendous amount of government support. Way I look at it is they bought me out for at least 4 times what I'd ever have gotten for it. When that money is gone, I'll probably make a private club for my loyal friends. 8 nine foot tables and a 3 cushion table.

Funny now you don't see the constant reporting of covid numbers and death tolls. With the current party in power, the truth is whatever you make it. Anybody who trusts anything the government or news medias tell us is a fool

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If you are taking real pool halls, with predominantly 9 foot tables, won't be that high. This game is going the way of the dinosaur.

Think there is still big intrest in Pool outside the USA, we’re people who are not wealthy still play pool, and other spots out of doors.

Most Americans IMHO want the latest greatest, newest version, got to have it until, it’s replaced by next generation.

Pool has not changed much in last 100 years, you can still play on 100 year old table, with house cue made in 1920’s and still have fun.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A once in a generation global pandemic that killed millions of people turns out to have negative economic impacts, now there’s a shocker.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1636412637144.jpeg

KennyTooSlow

I live in CA. All the halls I used to play at have long passed. In addition to what has already been said ... none of them were great money makers even at their peak ... rent, tripple-net and other expenses are high here even in lousy locations ... and neither the landlords or the city were pleased to have them ... and no wonder ... two of the four halls that I frequented had regular fights ... big ones ... and more than their share of police visits. Overall halls in my area had a bad reputation in the community thanks to the behavior of some of their clients.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surely this room wasn't affected by the current leadership. How dare I even question that in a public forum.

The sort or moderation, in areas where the future of this game is affected by our government's action, is unfortunate.

Feel free to delete this as well, as you see fit.

Written by a pool hall owner who knows how the lockdowns affected his room and all the rest in the great state of New York, formally run by AC.