Snooker and Carom tables?

TrxR

Im curious what were good 12' snooker tables that were used in Canada and the US?

Also what Carom tables were around? Also whats the general size of a carom table? Are they 10'

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll leave the snooker stuff to others, but carom billiard tables, like pool tables, come in all sizes. Half as wide as they are long... And the pros play on 10 ft tables.

Above refers to three cushion. There are 8 ft tables that are primarily used for straight rail and Korean for ball games. In my experience, tables for these games are unheated and may come with slower cloth.

TrxR

What were quality vintage brands of Carom tables that were used in the US or Canada?

Did Brunswick make quality Snooker and Carom tables?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I only ever played on B'wick snooker tables. Not by choice. That's just what every room had in them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AE Schmidt as well. Peacock Billiards in Victoria BC has a lovely old Burroughes and Watts but don't know when it sailed over.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Im curious what were good 12' snooker tables that were used in Canada and the US?

Also what Carom tables were around? Also whats the general size of a carom table? Are they 10'
By "were around", how long ago do you mean?

Brunswick had a near monopoly back in the 1930s for carom tables. Look up pictures for "Kling pool table" for what the high-end ones look like.

Since 1970 or so, I think the majority of new carom tables in the US rooms are imported. Gabriels, Verhoeven, Jimar, Søren Søgaard, Breton are some of the brands. All are 10'. Korean rooms have smaller tables that are for four-ball billiards and maybe some 10-foot tables. I think "Min" is a major Korean brand now.

TrxR

By "were around", how long ago do you mean?

Brunswick had a near monopoly back in the 1930s for carom tables. Look up pictures for "Kling pool table" for what the high-end ones look like.

Since 1970 or so, I think the majority of new carom tables in the US rooms are imported. Gabriels, Verhoeven, Jimar, Søren Søgaard, Breton are some of the brands. All are 10'. Korean rooms have smaller tables that are for four-ball billiards and maybe some 10-foot tables. I think "Min" is a major Korean brand now.
I was thinking 60's , 70's. if a person was looking at picking up a good used snooker or carom table what brands to look at or stay away from?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking 60's , 70's. if a person was looking at picking up a good used snooker or carom table what brands to look at or stay away from?
I'd stay away from Brunswick Carom tables newer than early 40's. If it's not a T-Rail, don't even think about it.
T-Rail Brunswick's can normally be a good playing table if set up correctly. If there's still problems, it can be updated/adjusted.
I know very little about Snooker tables and that history.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
stay away from any old table altogether if your wanting to be a competitve player
the brunswick anniversary down here at a local room rattles when you hit a rail, whole table rattles, its junk

if you just want furniture that you can play on its all good

Pierre Shakes

Registered
Snooker tables in Canada from England are primarily Burroughes and Watts which was bombed out during WWII. Occasionally I see Thurston tables. John (I think) Thurston was the first woodworker to specialize in billiard tables. He invented both slate and rubber cushions. The story is that the first 12' slate table was one-piece (and you think a 9' Diamond is difficult to manage). They had to dismantle the side of the castle to get it in.

However, I got a very fancy Thruston 20 years ago for a customer and had to have it refinished - which at least Thurston paid for.

Canada Billiards makes a decent snooker table up here.
I am getting a 12' Rasson Magnum in December with the levelling system that works perfectly on 9's. Meaning: a 9' Victory not going out of level at all in three years with the public playing on it.

Has anyone else had both a 9' Diamond and a 9' Rasson to compare?