best cue you ever had or still have ???

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing with a McDermott from the early 1980's but with a much more recent Jacoby shaft with 140 laminate layers to cut down on deflection. Don't know if I hit better with it, but I like it better than the maple shaft of the original.
That’s what I need to do with my McDermott from the 80’s. The original shaft has some roll that I don’t care for.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Well, you at least distinguish your tastes and preferences from the rest of the pool playing community.
And to think you found Scruggs cues to be a disappointment says more about you than everyone else.
And your comments above say a lot about you and nothing about him. It says that you are absolutely clueless about the fact that hit and playability are completely subjective personal preference things that will vary substantially between players and there is no "right" and "wrong" to that, just perhaps a right or wrong for you and a right or wrong for him and a right or wrong for me which may all be very different. If you actually understood that fact you would have never felt the need to try to put down his personal preferences with such obviously dumb comments.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And your comments above say a lot about you and nothing about him. It says that you are absolutely clueless about the fact that hit and playability are completely subjective personal preference things that will vary substantially between players and there is no "right" and "wrong" to that, just perhaps a right or wrong for you and a right or wrong for him and a right or wrong for me which may all be very different. If you actually understood that fact you would have never felt the need to try to put down his personal preferences with such obviously dumb comments.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you publicly express it, you should be prepared for opposing views.
When you take the time to elaborate why you feel that way, usually the reception by others tends to be positive.
Not always but it shows you actually thought about it before writing it. And sometimes you don’t get the reaction
you expected or hoped for. But that is how public forums function. All I did was inject some reality into the thread.

Do a national poll….Tim Scruggs and Southwest cues are rated very highly by the vast majority of pool players that
own cues costing more than a few hundred dollars. Nothing wrong with inexpensive cues because they do the very
same thing as a rare Gus Szamboti cue does. And the cue doesn’t make the person a better pool player either. It
does encourage you to try harder or to commit more to playing better but that doesn’t apply to everyone. Just like
expressing the opinion that that some cues made by great names disappointed you, it obviously doesn’t apply to
everyone. The catch is that most pool players would enjoy and celebrate owning a cue made by Tim Scruggs or SW.
I merely reminded the OP his opinion was not shared, nor supported, by the majority of knowledgeable pool players.

chenjy9

Wow... the last couple of pages have really derailed this thread into "ignore" territory.

Also, after getting my Mezz back from Proficient Billiards, I have re-confirmed that my best personal cue to date is STILL the Mezz cue with an Ignite shaft.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow... the last couple of pages have really derailed this thread into "ignore" territory.

Also, after getting my Mezz back from Proficient Billiards, I have re-confirmed that my best personal cue to date is STILL the Mezz cue with an Ignite shaft.
Anytime 'best' comes into play it always gets sideways. Too many opinions. Too subjective. No answer. BTW, i use a Mezz also and love it.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I merely reminded the OP his opinion was not shared, nor supported, by the majority of knowledgeable pool players.
Why would you need to remind him that his personal preference was not shared by a certain amount of other people? What difference does it make how many people like the same hit and playability as he does? And especially why would you need to point out that many others don't share his preference when he specifically prefaced his post by saying that they were among the most popular cues and his preference was a minority one?

What you were actually and very obviously trying to do, and just don't want to admit it, was to infer that his personal preference was somehow inherently wrong since it was in the minority and make him feel inferior for having that preference and retract that preference. But what you clearly are still completely clueless about is that it is actually the exact opposite, personal preferences are always inherently right on matters of personal preference regardless of how many other people share your personal preference.

DeeDeeCues: I know pepperoni pizza is among the most popular there is but I personally find it to be a disappointment.
Bavafongoul: That's crazy talk. If you find pepperoni pizza to be a disappointment that says more about you than everyone else. Pepperoni wouldn't be the most popular pizza if it weren't good.
DeeDeeCues: I didn't say it wasn't good. I said it wasn't my personal preference.
Bavafongoul: But the vast majority of people think highly of pepperoni. It is very, very popular. I just want you to know how in the minority you are with your opinion and that very, few people agree with you. You do realize that nobody agrees with you about pepperoni pizza right? And if you are offended by the way I am attacking your personal preferences on pizza, well you are just too sensitive because it is totally normal to attack people's personal preferences even when they acknowledge up front that their own personal preferences are in the minority.

As DeeDeeCues said, you were very clearly trying to devalue his opinion as if his own personal preference was somehow wrong, and in doing so you only served to highlight your own cluelessness about matters of personal preference. Hopefully the above helps set you straight.

chenjy9

Why would you need to remind him that his personal preference was not shared by a certain amount of other people? What difference does it make how many people like the same hit and playability as he does? And especially why would you need to point out that many others don't share his preference when he specifically prefaced his post by saying that they were among the most popular cues and his preference was a minority one?

What you were actually and very obviously trying to do, and just don't want to admit it, was to infer that his personal preference was somehow inherently wrong since it was in the minority and make him feel inferior for having that preference and retract that preference. But what you clearly are still completely clueless about is that it is actually the exact opposite, personal preferences are always inherently right on matters of personal preference regardless of how many other people share your personal preference.

DeeDeeCues: I know pepperoni pizza is among the most popular there is but I personally find it to be a disappointment.
Bavafongoul: That's crazy talk. If you find pepperoni pizza to be a disappointment that says more about you than everyone else. Pepperoni wouldn't be the most popular pizza if it weren't good.
DeeDeeCues: I didn't say it wasn't good. I said it wasn't my personal preference.
Bavafongoul: But the vast majority of people think highly of pepperoni. It is very, very popular. I just want you to know how in the minority you are with your opinion and that very, few people agree with you. You do realize that nobody agrees with you about pepperoni pizza right? And if you are offended by the way I am attacking your personal preferences on pizza, well you are just too sensitive because it is totally normal to attack people's personal preferences even when they acknowledge up front that their own personal preferences are in the minority.

As DeeDeeCues said, you were very clearly trying to devalue his opinion as if his own personal preference was somehow wrong, and in doing so you only served to highlight your own cluelessness about matters of personal preference. Hopefully the above helps set you straight.

Just let it go, not worth it imo and only serves to derail the thread.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The two in my signature: Tascarella and Schuler. That said, I picked up a 2003 Adam Balabushka. Man, I love this cue. It's my beater bar cue, sort of.

][cee

Registered
I have an antique Brunswick/Balke Double Butterfly converted to a two-piece with two original Predator 314 shafts. The conversion was done by "Cadillac" Joe Mazalowiski(spelling might not be correct) around 2003. I bought this cue when I started playing again(2004) after a twenty-year hiatus from the owner of a local pool room, Royal Billiards. Was my player for a while, but I realized it was a unique cue and retired it. Started my appreciation for antique butterfly cues and my collection :alien:
Can you please share a pix of your butterfly?

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you please share a pix of your butterfly?
It's the one with the off white joint:

full

full

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had several favorites like Tad, Josswest, Weston, Jenson. However, the best hitting cue and new favorite is the one i buy next. In this case it is a couple of Dark Horse cues. Should get them in early February.

telinoz

Registered
My predator p2 series lepard and curly maple butt with uniloc joint and 1st gen Z shaft.
Moori medium tip. I still have some tucked away from 15 years ago in their little sealed foil packs.

I have been looking for another 1st gen Z shaft with uniloc joint for years as a backup and try out other tips vs messing with my main playing shaft.

Smutzc

I had Mike Durbin make me a six point Coco bola, with a black leather wrap. Nothing fancy, no inlays just a great feeling cue. I’m a true believer in staying with one cue and getting used to how that cue hits. I’m going to stay with this one for as long as I can. Also helps Mike Durbin’s shop is only about an hour from my doorstep, so if anything goes wrong I can go directly to him.. Great guy I advise anyone to stop by his shop, he also has the nicest pool room I’ve ever seen ! Well worth the trip to check it out!

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Schon R2. Bought new in early 80’s and after 30 years of league and tournament play I had it refinished and wrapped by Scot at Proficient. It’s never hit another ball since and has been resting peacefully in a cool dry safe for years all cozy in it’s plush O’Neil box case