🏆🏆 What is your LARGEST pool accomplishment?

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Got second in a open tournament that was a 55-60 ish field full of top players in my state. Had myself in calcutta at like 50 dollars so it was a great payday. Did get to play as a c in a abc tournament like 7 years ago, won the c side and had myself again in calcutta. Finished third, after having a 5 pack and a 6 pack put on me by the winner of the ab and loser of the ab. Wasn't mad, made good money.

Don't play tournaments much anymore, mostly just gamble.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won the Northern New York State 8 ball championship in 1980. It is not as impressive as it sounds, it was on bar tables.
I always wanted to run 100+ balls but never did. Ran a 75 and out once but didn`t finish the run, the guy wanted to play again right now. I regret not trying to get to 100 that day. I ran 52 in the next game (not the next shot). My high run going in that night was 48.
I don`t know which one of these I would rate as the highest accomplishment, they both felt great.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Writing over 500 columns for billiard magazines. I wasn't a good English student so there was a lot of on-the-job training. ✏️

I spent a lot of time on a benchrest forum. One of the most knowledgeable men on the forum wrote posts indicating he was almost illiterate, did it for years. He was a fine gentleman and a grand old gentleman of the game so I gave him deep respect despite the writing shortcomings. It wasn't until I met him face to face at a large invitational meet that I learned he was a PhD and the head of a school at an ivy league college! I was very glad that I had never made even the slightest reference to his apparent writing abilities.

I generally wrote at a tenth to twelfth grade level if I believed some software I had. Writing technical papers I kicked it up to a few years of college. I found that writing at a seventh or eighth grade level worked best on the internet. When I remembered that I had to wonder what Don thought of the average benchrest shooter since he was writing at a second or third grade level!

Hu

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
You'd think it was something like that, but no. I was at the table chalking my tip, and it was squeaky because it was a hard tip.

He stood up and said "I can't take that sound anymore," paid me, and quit.

Ah, but the turkeys got close enough to shoot one.

Jeff Livingston

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let’s see….

I won the NH State 8-ball Open Amateur championship. No leagues. No handicaps. 9’ tables with tight pockets. I think they were Connellys.

I also won a BCA Pool League “New England States” 8-ball championship. That was on Valley barboxes.

But I think that writing for InsidePOOL, doing color commentary for professional events and being on the HoF committee (especially for the Veterans Committee) are my proudest achievements.

I also have christened a few pool tables, so maybe those top everything else.

Freddie <~~~ let the Christening begin

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s see….

I won the NH State 8-ball Open Amateur championship. No leagues. No handicaps. 9’ tables with tight pockets. I think they were Connellys.

I also won a BCA Pool League “New England States” 8-ball championship. That was on Valley barboxes.

But I think that writing for InsidePOOL, doing color commentary for professional events and being on the HoF committee (especially for the Veterans Committee) are my proudest achievements.

I also have christened a few pool tables, so maybe those top everything else.

Freddie <~~~ let the Christening begin
Shit, man don't forget about your upside down chips bag postulation.
Screenshot_20211122-190329__01.jpg

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a ton of playing stuff that im proud of and competing also.
Over them all I rate working on my students. Especially one boy who was 13 when he joined my junior team that I taught to play.
He was getting in troublesome company and had problems in school and little ADHD too. Anyways he got into pool so much he focused it so much he ditched his bad company and focused to learn and play pool. He was good player already age of 15-16 but then he found lovely girl and wanted to get money and went to work on his father business to get some money.
He then started play and practice less and less and got married and get children early too.
Couple years later his parents came with flowers and wanted to say thank you for me. They said boy was getting in criminal company and that I inspired him to learn pool so much that it turned his life around.

I think if you can do that nothing else really will top of that. :)

Rusty in Montana

I was fortunate enough to get to meet many professional pool players and some road players in my younger years before medical issues started to get in the way.

For me playing pool in a way saved me I got to drinking to much and got to thinking late one night that it was in my best interest to quit drinking alcohol and focus on pool since there's more old pool players than there is old drunks ha ha

Then my friend Frank McGown told some of his friends from the New York / New Jersey area to never play pool with me for money .
I retired from pool for over 20 years and I'm trying to get back to where my game once was it's a slow process but it's coming along .

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Multi-layered answer but here goes......
1) From a playing standpoint: Either won solo or have been a team member of, I believe, 11 national championships or so.
2) Have run over 1000 tournaments around my area over the last 31 years. (Over 18 years and counting on an every friday night tourney) I consider this my biggest and my proudest contribution to pool in my area.
3) But easily my biggest pool accomplishment was convincing my (now wife) 20 years ago next May at the BCA National tournament , that I wasn't just some dumb shmuck pool player and that she would be well advised to date me.