Top 10 Reasons for Missing … and How to Prevent It

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates the main reasons people miss shots along with things you can do to help prevent the mistakes. Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 – Intro
0:29 – 1: Lack of Focus
1:15 – 2: Poor Shot Choice
2:14 – 3: Bad Position
4:57 – 4: Bad Aim
6:13 – 5: Bad Stroke
7:59 – 6: Poor Eye Pattern
8:36 – 7: Elevated Cue
8:59 – 8: Poor Sidespin Choices
10:19 – 9: Mental Errors
11:02 – 10: Other Reasons
11:31 – Wrap-Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice vid!

Thanks! Even though I used a lot of footage from previous videos, this one took a lot of work (especially in the planning and editing) ... but I think it was worth it.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought alcohol would be mentioned under 'Other Reasons'.

I should have included that and maybe some others. I'm sure we could create a really long list of excuses in the "Other Reasons" category.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you guys have the same "pet peeve" as me about pool match commentators claiming pros miss shots because they get up on the shot, or is it almost always: they got up on the shot because they missed? What do you guys think?

Smutzc

Do you guys have the same "pet peeve" as me about pool match commentators claiming pros miss shots because they get up on the shot, or is it almost always: they got up on the shot because they missed? What do you guys think?

I agree with you doc, most professional players know to stay down on the shot. But after they make contact they know it’s a miss before contact even happens. We all have done that and jumped up knowing it was a miss before contact even happens. I always enjoy watching sub par players move while down on the shot, knowing in my head they are gonna miss from the lack of a pre shot routine.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I do think that sometimes it is because they know they missed the shot, but as often as not I think it is indicative of their having been lacking confidence in the shot to begin with and those self doubts in turn helped result in other form breakdowns that helped manifest the miss and they were already anticipating the miss to some extent which results in the quick reaction to jump up after. So while the jumping up after the shot did not in itself directly affect the shot that had already occurred, it is often indicative of self doubt and not having been fully committed to the shot and other problems that were occurring which did affect the shot and also reflects there having already been some anticipation of the miss.

Last edited:

chenjy9

One of the biggest contributors to me missing early on was bad aiming and mainly caused by not properly lining up my shot when standing up and trying to aim after getting down on the ball. For the misses on crucial shots, it was pressure causing a lack of proper focus.

SlateMan

Registered
I am about to watch this video ( as I do all of Dr. Dave's stuff) but I noticed the outline. I have a pre-watch suggestion....Perhaps "Lack of Focus" should be either later in the list or in the list multiple times. By the time I get to number 5, I might have lost focus again....

Now, what was I about to do?

chenjy9

Yes, there are always multiple reasons that are more realistic that can cause a pro to miss a shot, starting with the most common; their focus dipped even just slightly in that fraction of time. Pros are mere mortals just like the rest of us and will make mistakes too.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am about to watch this video ( as I do all of Dr. Dave's stuff) but I noticed the outline. I have a pre-watch suggestion....Perhaps "Lack of Focus" should be either later in the list or in the list multiple times. By the time I get to number 5, I might have lost focus again....

Now, what was I about to do?
Did the video keep your focused attention?

SlateMan

Registered
Did the video keep your focused attention?
Yes. The wardrobe changes and persona changes helped! Also, no squirrels ran by this time.

I wore out the rewind button on my remote watching the VEPS series as my mind wandered, but in a good way. You would show a shot, I would start to think about all the times I missed said shot or could have used that knowledge...next thing I know, you were 3 shots down the line.

If you ever see me make a comment, just know I am a fan, and a happy customer.
20211124_123043.jpg

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes. The wardrobe changes and persona changes helped! Also, no squirrels ran by this time.

I wore out the rewind button on my remote watching the VEPS series as my mind wandered, but in a good way. You would show a shot, I would start to think about all the times I missed said shot or could have used that knowledge...next thing I know, you were 3 shots down the line.

If you ever see me make a comment, just know I am a fan, and a happy customer. View attachment 617540
VEPS is definitely a “fire hose” of info.

I’m glad you like my stuff.

Best regards,
Dave