2022 World Snooker Championship (Apr 16th - May 2nd)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll leave it to Fatboy to regale you all with how imperious the BBC coverage has been as usual.
What’s imperious mean? Serious question, I’m not familiar with that word

BBC is better than Eurosport I had in German then Turkish until I came to London this morning.

Congrats to Ronnie. He’s gunning for #8. That I’m certain of. Honestly I think he can win this tourney with his B+ game. He’s that far ahead of everyone.

We are watching history being made, someday in many many years his records will fall, but we as a audience will fall first. Pretty cool stuff.

Was one of the best WC’s I’ve ever sweated. I watched everyday but a couple in the first rounds.

I love snooker!

Best
Fatboy <———coming to a town near you, someday

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this guy Barry Hearn? Was Emily at the event?

IMG_2697.jpeg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The first World Snooker Championship was held in 1927, so the event is going on a century.

Joe Davis dominated until 1946 and never lost a match in the Championships. His final final in 1946 was a race to 73 (best of 145).

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yeah I'm learning too. The ref called it a "free ball". He shot the brown I think it was, and it counted as 1 point (red value), then he shot a color next.
for a no free ball ruling, you have to be able to cut the ball maximum, either side…so even if you can hit the ball, it’s often a free ball.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
The first World Snooker Championship was held in 1927, so the event is going on a century.

Joe Davis dominated until 1946 and never lost a match in the Championships. The final in 1946 was a race to 73 (best of 145).
Not to denigrate a legend, but it was an annual challenge match, like heavyweight boxing, and all his oponents were first and foremost billiards players, just like Joe himself was.

gerryf

interested in seeing the new rankings, Ronnie may have put enough distance ahead of the pack to almost guarantee he holds the top spot even a year from now after next year's world's
From snooker.org, the rankings after the world championships are:

1.1Ronnie O'SullivanEngland1 036 000
2.+24Judd TrumpEngland1 009 500+150 000
3.-12Mark SelbyEngland914 500-70 000
4.-13Neil RobertsonAustralia902 000-20 000
5.+16John HigginsScotland537 000+70 000
6.+17Zhao XintongChina434 500+30 000
7.+18Mark J WilliamsWales423 500+50 000
8.-35Kyren WilsonEngland419 000-170 000
9.+110Shaun MurphyEngland316 000
10.+414Jack LisowskiEngland315 500+50 00

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
for a no free ball ruling, you have to be able to cut the ball maximum, either side…so even if you can hit the ball, it’s often a free ball.
Yes and it has to be a ball 'not on' thats doing the obstructing. Quite often one red is obstructed by a colour, but is itself obstructing the red ball behind it, which wouldn't otherwise be snookered by the coloured ball, so it's not a free ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not to denigrate a legend, but it was an annual challenge match, like heavyweight boxing, and all his oponents were first and foremost billiards players, just like Joe himself was.
No, that was not the format Joe played under. Match play did not start until 1952. (You are right about them all having learned at billiards, with three balls.) Here's more info:

telinoz

Registered
Well, I won't be at work today.. Late night, then up at 4am to finish watching the final live..
For me, this is a dream come true as a life long fan of Ronnie, been watching him since he started.
Never seen him so emotional, but I know why.
Pure and utter relief.

Judd played better near the end, but found form too late.. Only player to take a session off of Ronnie this year.
He did have the pleasure of making the 109th Century for this tournament, a new record.
Ronnie looked like he would do it in the last session, but broke down 3 times and ended up stuck on 15 for the tournament. 1 behind Hendry and Williams.

I know Ronnie that well he will not settle on 7..
But right now, the claims of Ronnie not being the GOAT are just folly.
There is no doubt anymore, for me there wasn't some years ago.

Ronnie has had that work, life, balance sorted for some time now.
He has a great team and he enjoys playing for the sake of playing.
And he still produces this form... Yeah, let that sink in..

39 titles overall
21 for the majors, 7 of each.
Nearly 1200 career centuries
15 maximums.

He will keep adding to his legacy for years to come.
For him, age is just a number.

891014+1

Congratulations Ronnie O'Sullivan!!

Did anyone else noticed his playing position? He bends both legs as pool players do.

The best snooker player ever.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen where the pro didn't know the rules.
In my experience they do play all the rules, except the miss rule. If someone did what was deemed a deliberate foul, there would be a riot.
The only other slight thing would be, that you might let someone carry on in a friendly game and not call a foul if they feathered the ball (hit the cue ball with their tip while cueing) or if they touched a ball accidentally (eg. clothing foul).

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
No, that was not the format Joe played under. Match play did not start until 1952. (You are right about them all having learned at billiards, with three balls.) Here's more info:

Hi Bob,
As a former billiard player myself I can attest that the older generation of (very fine) billiards players could repeatedly go in-off into the middle pocket and play long jennys all night long, but found potting a ball a dark arcane art known only to 'the young-uns'. From your link of the first tournament of "Ten professionals entered including most of the leading English billiards players":
"The highest break of the tournament was sixty"
That isn't close to our amateur weekly club standard.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this guy Barry Hearn? Was Emily at the event?

View attachment 640235

barry stepped down years ago from the snooker governing body and last year from MR. i think MR only promotes/produces two of the events on the snooker tour: champion of champions and the championship league. both invitational, so non ranking event.

snooker is doing well without barry hearn, much because of the framework he laid, and emily is likely only involved in the two events MR promotes.

CanadianGuy

From snooker.org, the rankings after the world championships are:

1.1Ronnie O'SullivanEngland1 036 000
2.+24Judd TrumpEngland1 009 500+150 000
3.-12Mark SelbyEngland914 500-70 000
4.-13Neil RobertsonAustralia902 000-20 000
5.+16John HigginsScotland537 000+70 000
6.+17Zhao XintongChina434 500+30 000
7.+18Mark J WilliamsWales423 500+50 000
8.-35Kyren WilsonEngland419 000-170 000
9.+110Shaun MurphyEngland316 000
10.+414Jack LisowskiEngland315 500+50 00
thanks for that, tighter than I suspected amoungst the top four, look like those top guys will all have a shot at the 1 spot next season