Ancient Kauri wood...

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dove into the deep end of the AZ forums. I was reading up on kauri ancient wood. Allegedly the oldest wood on earth. Anyone ever have shafts made out of this wood and how did you like it? Any unique properties to the wood/hit? Is it actually good wood to use in pool cues? Any info would be great.

Thanks

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
First I've heard of kauri wood. I'd be interested to see a plain jane made from it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220531-152809.jpg
    Screenshot_20220531-152809.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 82

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its from very old incredible looking trees in new zealand. they are all now protected for the most part.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I dove into the deep end of the AZ forums. I was reading up on kauri ancient wood. Allegedly the oldest wood on earth. Anyone ever have shafts made out of this wood and how did you like it? Any unique properties to the wood/hit? Is it actually good wood to use in pool cues? Any info would be great.

Thanks
I've made stuff (not shafts) out of ancient bog wood before. It's brittle and I would be surprised if it made a workable shaft. Might be cool as handles on a wrapless cue.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've made stuff (not shafts) out of ancient bog wood before. It's brittle and I would be surprised if it made a workable shaft. Might be cool as handles on a wrapless cue.

bog oak can be used for furniture, pipes and stuff. very cool black color.

it's amazing how peat bogs can preserve things. i grew up near a bog where a farmer accidentally dug up a guy who was murdered in the 14th century. denmark have quite a few such mummies.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to know a guy over the internet that dug up the ancient Kauri. It was more known for wild figure. He made a one piece bench to sit on about five feet long. It sat around being used for years but when it sold it sold deep into six figures! The logs are twenty feet deep so basically strip mining for them. It is called 45,000 year old wood but I am skeptical. They called it 45,000 years old twenty years ago, they still call it 45,000 years old. Wouldn't it be 45,020 years old now?

Fantastic ornamental turnings are made from this wood too. Almost any of it calls for deep pockets to buy. The wood isn't petrified so I don't know if weight would be an issue or not.

Hu

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Cool stuff. I might need to buy a few squares.

edwu: your next stop shall be "The Tree Mahogany".