Looking for a simile

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the OP Nat: To anyone who ever asks you for a comparison to other sports, you can pass this possibly stimulating fact onto them:

A player known to me as Arnaldo has stated to people many times:

"After playing pool for more than 70 years, I can say without reservation that pool has introduced me to myself in more ways than any other sport could ever have possibly done!"

Arnaldo ~ The sport continues to be more intriguing and rewarding to me every time I play.

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always explained the difficulty of pool by comparing it to chess, but you have to flip the piece into the air and make rotate twice end over end and land it on the square you chose.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about "the point is to hit both balls, hitting the second one after hitting three cushions" and "the fun is in learning to do that"?

pj
chgo
Or show them some of Sayginer's shots.

I think the best way to explain it to poker players is to play them a few games. It would, of course, be immoral to let them win a few games before the bet gets up.:devilish::poop:

Gary Jones

I was a professional poker player in another life so I can give you some insight into how to speak their language. If you are looking for a simile:

A new pool player just sees the shot in front of them like a new poker player just plays the cards they are dealt. Poker players learn to add bluffing, position, varying bet amounts, reading players, reading the table, game selection, money management & self discipline all in the eventual context of a game theory optimal strategy just like better pool players learn to strike consistently and cleanly, add positional play through cue ball control techniques, pattern play, safety, banking, jumping, masseing, caroming, self control on difficult shots and reading your opponents strengths and weaknesses for push out strategy and better breaking techniques. The best gambling games appear deceptively simple but have layers upon layers. The best of these in my mind is backgammon but that's a whole other topic!

Oh, and my first post, so go gentle (or not)!

Gary

Guy Manges

Registered
I think the simile should be derived from hunting, although this comes from someone who has never hunted. A shot well performed in pool or hunting gives a very special sense of satisfaction and one that is missed is an opportunity lost that may not arise again. In fact, in pool, a duck means an easy shot and I've heard players looking over a table that offered many such shots announce that they were going duck hunting. Those who have a sense of urgency when they hunt should be able to easily translate it to the pool table.

Hence the simile is that "pool is like hunting."
Yes and you don't have to take a life, thank God For pool... Guy

Reactions: sjm

Guy Manges

Registered
Sometime it's great this forum , it's like the road 395 in California on your scoot, straight and up and down, up and down, Stay awake and enjoy... Guy

Guy Manges

Registered
For the OP Nat: To anyone who ever asks you for a comparison to other sports, you can pass this possibly stimulating fact onto them:

A player known to me as Arnaldo has stated to people many times:

"After playing pool for more than 70 years, I can say without reservation that pool has introduced me to myself in more ways than any other sport could ever have possibly done!"

Arnaldo ~ The sport continues to be more intriguing and rewarding to me every time I play.
Wow 70 years and you can still, play, Shine on... I can still play the table for my enjoyment... Guy

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'll take a shot(no pun intended): a well executed 3 cushion shot is akin to a well cast dry fly alighting softly exactly where you meant it to go and both demand lots of experience/effort to pull off. disclaimer i can't do either well but sure like to try

I was a professional poker player in another life so I can give you some insight into how to speak their language. If you are looking for a simile:

A new pool player just sees the shot in front of them like a new poker player just plays the cards they are dealt. Poker players learn to add bluffing, position, varying bet amounts, reading players, reading the table, game selection, money management & self discipline all in the eventual context of a game theory optimal strategy just like better pool players learn to strike consistently and cleanly, add positional play through cue ball control techniques, pattern play, safety, banking, jumping, masseing, caroming, self control on difficult shots and reading your opponents strengths and weaknesses for push out strategy and better breaking techniques. The best gambling games appear deceptively simple but have layers upon layers. The best of these in my mind is backgammon but that's a whole other topic!

Gary

Great first post!

To the OP, pocketing a few balls is like staying upright on a bicycle after just learning how to ride. Then you might move to what braking combination is right for what topography and what gear is right when, which is like looking for the next "leave" but then missing the shot you're on 50% of the time. Eventually those decisions come almost automatically, and you move on skidding, and popping wheelies which is like seeing banks and combos. Then bunny hops, buying better gear, shifting your weight for better traction, manuals, and learning skidding isn't so good which is like making banks and combos, getting your leave and being set for the leave on the third ball. You then focus more on your own fitness, and taking trips centered around cycling and at last this pool level is over my head but I'm seriously considering some private instruction.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Gary
welcome to the site gary ...... (y)

eg9327

I want to come up with a simile / parallel example in a more popular sport to help illustrate that there are levels of subtle difficulty and appreciation that are beyond what is obvious to a novice observer.

I am at a location with non-pool players (poker players), whom are interested in pool but don't know much beyond the fun of making balls disappear. A few have asked me about three cushion and what the point is... and why it is even fun. The best answer I could give is, "It is fun and challenging if you are a pool nerd."

I don't know... maybe something like Nascar? We see cars drive in circles but why would anyone appreciate that... because etc. etc... You get my drift
Conquering the subtleties in any sport are what divides good from great. I was at a NASCAR race in Talledega once when Dale Earnhart was down 14 places with 15 laps to go. He gained a spot every lap and won the race. I was just speechless. Speechless. Driving 180 miles an hour against the best in the world and he showed THEM how to do it. I still doubt it, but my Dad would say Dale would spin out early in the race just to get in the last spot. That way the entire race was a challenge. He'd still win.

eg9327

Conquering the subtleties in any sport are what divides good from great. I was at a NASCAR race in Talledega once when Dale Earnhart was down 14 places with 15 laps to go. He gained a spot every lap and won the race. I was just speechless. Speechless. Driving 180 miles an hour against the best in the world and he showed THEM how to do it. I still doubt it, but my Dad would say Dale would spin out early in the race just to get in the last spot. That way the entire race was a challenge. He'd still win.
I also happened to be at Talledega for the last race Dale Earndart won there.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the simile should be derived from hunting, although this comes from someone who has never hunted. A shot well performed in pool or hunting gives a very special sense of satisfaction and one that is missed is an opportunity lost that may not arise again. In fact, in pool, a duck means an easy shot and I've heard players looking over a table that offered many such shots announce that they were going duck hunting. Those who have a sense of urgency when they hunt should be able to easily translate it to the pool table.

Hence the simile is that "pool is like hunting."
I've seen when pool and hunting were combined. Now you're talking about a real sport! Both your money and your life are on the line!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You need the mind of a chess player and the deftness of a piano player.
……paraphrasing Einstein
Worked for Beethoven.
Wise guy.….:)
Coulda been worse...

beethoven dead.png

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s nuance and expertise available in everything from sports and music to working a sandwich line at a Subway fast food restaurant.

I don’t think anybody should need an analogy to understand that. If they are curious what the nuances of pool are then I think it’s best to just mention the levels of play from ball pocketing, to cueball control, to patterns, to advanced kick/bank/masse/jump shots, to the importance of machine-like fundamentals, precision cue tip placement, deflection, swerve, speed control, physics and geometry.

If their eyes gloss over then you did your job making them appreciate the subtleties exist. If they start interrupting you with jokes, you’re trying too hard and are beating the dead horse.
Dead horse...it always come back to hookers.

(Pronunciation jokes, who knew?)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gary
Get 'im!
Screenshot_20210521-194215.jpg