tip swap…. gone wrong???

soyale

hello everybody. I just got my tip swapped today and when i picked it up i noticed the tip seemed to be at a bit of an angle. i played with it today and had no problems, but since it wasn’t burnished very well i went ahead and rubbed it on some paper and noticed that it seems like my ferrule isn’t straight any more either. i realize there isnt much i can do about it now except stop using the guy for future tips, but i’m wondering if maybe this is normal and i’m just seeing things. I’ve included a couple pictures.

BF806DA4-2DBD-4761-82B6-481E1315661F.jpeg
8C32465D-40F4-4692-970B-3C23115A0040.jpeg

is there a chance i had done this myself before giving it to the guy?? is this something that can happen easily on a tip job gone wrong??

again i realize theres not much i can do about it now and it plays just fine. what are your thoughts?

edit: decided to include location
Best Quality Billiards

Last edited:

R2PQZ

hello everybody. I just got my tip swapped today and when i picked it up i noticed the tip seemed to be at a bit of an angle. i played with it today and had no problems, but since it wasn’t burnished very well i went ahead and rubbed it on some paper and noticed that it seems like my ferrule isn’t straight any more either. i realize there isnt much i can do about it now except stop using the guy for future tips, but i’m wondering if maybe this is normal and i’m just seeing things. I’ve included a couple pictures.

View attachment 658377View attachment 658378

is there a chance i had done this myself before giving it to the guy?? is this something that can happen easily on a tip job gone wrong??

again i realize theres not much i can do about it now and it plays just fine. what are your thoughts?
Your ferrule has been pencil pointed. Caused by tip and ferrule sanded together. The ferrule should never be sanded while installing a new tip.

phreaticus

There is definitely something amiss with your ferrule! Looks to me like it has been hanging out with ringtail racoons & tiger sharks a bit too much!

Just kidding brother :)✌️

R2PQZ

Buy yourself an inepensive dial caliper at Harbor Freight. Measure your tip the measure the shaft itself below the ferrule. At least 1 full mm difference. If you want to replace ferrule with original material you probably have to send to OB.

soyale

what a shame. i’ve been going there for years, definitely never will again. should i even bother to call the guy on it? i don’t see how it can help me at all. i just feel taken advantage of. its not like these ob1+ are cheap, or easy to replace.

in another thread here i’ve seen that the ferrules aren’t even replaceable any more.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...t-back-to-old-maple-shaft.544650/post-7307239

I'm with you on that one! I love the OB1+.
WORD OF ADVICE....

Dont let the edge of the tip get too thin. Even with the fiber pad properly installed. OB does NOT make the wood ferrule anymore due to costs. Take good care of it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what a shame. i’ve been going there for years, definitely never will again. should i even bother to call the guy on it? i don’t see how it can help me at all. i just feel taken advantage of. its not like these ob1+ are cheap, or easy to replace.

in another thread here i’ve seen that the ferrules aren’t even replaceable any more.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...t-back-to-old-maple-shaft.544650/post-7307239
Depends on where you go. Because of the obvious problems with the wood ferrules splitting, Some shops started making thier own versions of it.
Funny though, when I questioned that I could pull the layers apart on thier ferrules, Ob at the time, said they've never heard of the problem.
Lmao
Replaced!

Attachments

• IMG_120821_095241.jpg
    IMG_120821_095241.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_120821_080738.jpg
    IMG_120821_080738.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is correct. Cant remember his name, but one of the guys from OB called me back while they were travelling to the SBE. He said the wood ferrules are no longer being produced. They became too costly because of labor. They could bo longer afford to pay someone to sit and stack them. They had to be stacked with an alternating grain pattern?

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Man, I'm sorry to see that. I used to be on OB"s list of approved installers, so I could get those ferrules, but never had much demand for them in this part of the pool world. I just checked and the only one I have left was cut in half for some reason. Dunno
I'm in Highlands Ranch and can put a Tomahawk or LBM ferrule on there if you like. There's another guy here, in Englewood, who was also authorized. I don't know if he has any or not. PM me and I'll give you his contact details if you like.
Gary

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, I'm sorry to see that. I used to be on OB"s list of approved installers, so I could get those ferrules, but never had much demand for them in this part of the pool world. I just checked and the only one I have left was cut in half for some reason. Dunno
I'm in Highlands Ranch and can put a Tomahawk or LBM ferrule on there if you like. There's another guy here, in Englewood, who was also authorized. I don't know if he has any or not. PM me and I'll give you his contact details if you like.
Gary
Switch to tomahawk. very light and TUFF. will crispen the hit but you'll get used to it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is correct. Cant remember his name, but one of the guys from OB called me back while they were travelling to the SBE. He said the wood ferrules are no longer being produced. They became too costly because of labor. They could bo longer afford to pay someone to sit and stack them. They had to be stacked with an alternating grain pattern?
That was a good decision based on the glue they used alone.
Jmo

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

edit: decided to include location
Best Quality Billiards
I have had a lot of tips put on at Best Quality Billiards and never had a problem.
You could call them but the owner is not a very nice person and I doubt if they will take responsibility.
Are you sure it was not like that before you had it re tipped?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gary
I think this would be the best solution and Gary is local to us.

soyale

I have had a lot of tips put on at Best Quality Billiards and never had a problem.
You could call them but the owner is not a very nice person and I doubt if they will take responsibility.
Are you sure it was not like that before you had it re tipped?

heres a photo of what i bought from user bbb:
ECBA6FF8-DCDA-433B-B179-93653489FA3D.png

heres a photo after wearing down the first tip that was also put on it at best quality billiards:

49A6D8D0-911C-4305-99BB-D5E211A6A709.jpeg

i cant imagine that i penciled my ferrule all on my own but i guess its possible 🤷‍♂️

i agree though that he likely wouldn’t own up to it and theres no point in calling him on it as there’s nothing i could get out of it except my $15 for the tip swap back at most.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Gary
naaaa............ they stopped making them because it was a stupid design and many broke......................

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
naaaa............ they stopped making them because it was a stupid design and many broke......................
Jeremy is running the show over there at OB for Mark. Jeremy is a very smart guy with tons of experience.

Any past problems at OB are just that a thing of the past.

I spent a hour talking to him at Griff's and I was super impressed with his mindset and experience.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why in the world would you ever use 2 ferrules of that type on that shaft anyway. It's a complete jury rig. OB would never recommend 2 ferrules end to end.