Jim Rempe's brainwash position/pattern drill

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
This is a great drill. Rempe makes it look much easier than it is. But, after a few times, the patterns start to appear without having to look for them-

-dj

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The brainwash drill, popularized by Jim Rempe, is one of the best to learn precise position play and work on patterns. Here is Niels Feijen's take on it:

I used to do this with 9 ball ghost...separate clusters... but it has been years...I'm afraid to try it now...lol. OOOPS, I just tried to keep the cue ball off of a rail.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've done a lot of throw 'em out, shoot 'em in and a fair amount of no rail drills as well. I find strict 15 ball sequences on another level and even distracting. Improvising works better for me.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I am starting out with five or six balls. Plan out my run with the no rail/stop shot and slowly add balls as I can consistently plan the correct pattern to do all stop shots. I do a lot of throw out practice but this is more focused. Mostly I try to run balls in rotation but this is more focused on mechanics and cue ball control. It should improve my 8 ball. Anything to increase my discipline.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am starting out with five or six balls. Plan out my run with the no rail/stop shot and slowly add balls as I can consistently plan the correct pattern to do all stop shots. I do a lot of throw out practice but this is more focused. Mostly I try to run balls in rotation but this is more focused on mechanics and cue ball control. It should improve my 8 ball. Anything to increase my discipline.
Yeah. less balls is definitely easier to wrap your skill around. I can see being able to actually wrap their head around strict full rack perfection might be prerequisite to A level playing. For me, getting out of 15 ball rotation is more manageable than 15 stop shots in a row. The memory load and the stringent technical requirement make it impractical at my level.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
As a baseline, I went down and tried this with 6 balls to get the flavor of this drill. The bottom line is I suck. I was able to get out successfully without hitting any balls or rails 3 or 4 times. Where I fail is that I am often forced into changing my planned pattern within 2 or 3 balls. If you are not in perfect position every time eventually you get progressively out of line with your plan. My control is lacking even though I can pull myself out of the fire with a hard shot. Obviously not the objective and a fail. This drill is what the doctor ordered.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
As a baseline, I went down and tried this with 6 balls to get the flavor of this drill. The bottom line is I suck. I was able to get out successfully without hitting any balls or rails 3 or 4 times. Where I fail is that I am often forced into changing my planned pattern within 2 or 3 balls. If you are not in perfect position every time eventually you get progressively out of line with your plan. My control is lacking even though I can pull myself out of the fire with a hard shot. Obviously not the objective and a fail. This drill is what the doctor ordered.
This is what happens in a 14.1 or 8 Ball game in reality. No one plays perfect pool, and there always has to be a plan B, C, etc.

-dj

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what happens in a 14.1 or 8 Ball game in reality. No one plays perfect pool, and there always has to be a plan B, C, etc.

-dj
In reality , it is possible to play perfect pool 😉
In reality it is best to have options but sometimes plan A is the plan and the only plan🤔

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The brainwash drill, popularized by Jim Rempe, is one of the best to learn precise position play and work on patterns. Here is Niels Feijen's take on it:

Bob what is the best way to get the most out of Rempe’s drill? Like how long should you do this drill and for how long should you do it, a week or two weeks?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob what is the best way to get the most out of Rempe’s drill? Like how long should you do this drill and for how long should you do it, a week or two weeks?
I think it is a good drill to do from time to time after a few extended sessions. Return to it if you have a problem with simple, short position shots.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched a lot of Joe’s videos and I have never seen a brain wash drill.
It is on pages 46 & 47 of Joe Tuckers booklet. Advanced Pocket Billiards. It is listed as drill #9. I highly recommend this training book, full of good drills.. Good luck!

Not sure when Neils produced his video of this drill or who originally came up with the idea, the Tucker book is from 1999. Not that it matters, drills are great just don't get overwhelmed by them. I can take an hour or two (maybe) of drills then I need a break!

Last edited:

GentlemanJames

We were taught this as an extension to playing '3 Ball'; but as a pattern-seeking drill for learning Straight Pool by adding one additional ball at a time, as we gained understanding and control at each level.

For guys like me, learning to see patterns by building up to 15 balls from just 3 balls - by adding one additional ball to the exercise over time - was a HUGE help in lowering the frustration of being mentally overwhelmed by this drill at first, lowered the stress/confusion level, increased the learnability and 'see-ability' of patterns - and, saved the enamel on my teeth, if had we begun the drill at the 15 ball level. - GJ

Last edited:

George

Balance is everything
Silver Member
It is on pages 46 & 47 of Joe Tuckers booklet. Advanced Pocket Billiards. It is listed as drill #9. I highly recommend this training book, full of good drills.. Good luck!

Not sure when Neils produced his video of this drill or who originally came up with the idea, the Tucker book is from 1999. Not that it matters, drills are great just don't get overwhelmed by them. I can take an hour or two (maybe) of drills then I need a break!
Joe Tucker taught me this drill back in the mid 90s, first thing I thought of when I saw the post.

dquarasr

Registered
I just watched again the video from Niels. I am curious: he mentions difficulty in getting to some of the balls closest to the short rails, in particular, on the last rack he worried about the 6 ball.

If this drill starts BIH, why not work our way from the short rail toward the center of the table, then to the balls on the other half of the table?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched again the video from Niels. I am curious: he mentions difficulty in getting to some of the balls closest to the short rails, in particular, on the last rack he worried about the 6 ball.

If this drill starts BIH, why not work our way from the short rail toward the center of the table, then to the balls on the other half of the table?
It's the insanity drill , you are putting too much reasoning into it.😛

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren have it little different. He put all balls middle of table close together. That is nuts hard.
Here is my session with Darren´s way.
back from 2016 when i started play pool again more seriously.