How long should my tips last?

tomatoshooter

Is it normal to wear a tip down in 3-4 months? I use the shaper and scuffer as rarely as possible, like twice, and as gently as possible removing as little material as possible. I shoot a lot, probably 2-3 hours a day, and that is usually practice, so the shot volume is much higher than in games, I'd estimate 150+ shots per hour.

I get the impression that tips usually last a while. I'm wearing my tips down to under 1/16" around the edge where I feel like the end is near so I'll replace it before it goes kaput. This has happened with a Ultraskin Medium, a Kamui Black Soft, and an Elkmaster.

tomatoshooter

Is it normal to wear a tip down in 3-4 months? I use the shaper and scuffer as rarely as possible, like twice, and as gently as possible removing as little material as possible. I shoot a lot, probably 2-3 hours a day, and that is usually practice, so the shot volume is much higher than in games, I'd estimate 150+ shots per hour.

I get the impression that tips usually last a while. I'm wearing my tips down to under 1/16" around the edge where I feel like the end is near so I'll replace it before it goes kaput. This has happened with a Ultraskin Medium, a Kamui Black Soft, and an Elkmaster.
I'll add that I'm not usually blasting the balls but I am definitely not Mister Soft Touch either.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
do you start with a full height tip. or cut it down to start. that may be the problem.

they are all soft tips you use so they wear faster. maybe 40,000 shots is all you are going to get with a tip.

tomatoshooter

do you start with a full height tip. or cut it down to start. that may be the problem.

they are all soft tips you use so they wear faster. maybe 40,000 shots is all you are going to get with a tip.
I don't request for my tips to be cut down but all of these tips were probably near the lower range of full height. 40,000 shots is probably not a lot more than what I'm getting, I think 30,000 shots is probably a reasonable estimate. I don't know if I should be happy that I'm getting acceptable life or sad that I'm doomed to constantly changing tips. I guess I should save up for a lathe.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you found and are using some sort of odd fast wearing tips that no one else has, your wear is normal for how you shoot with them.
I like my tips to be well under the full height when I start with them, but I have never actually timed how long the tips last on my shafts, I just replace them when they need to be. It's not like we are wearing down a set of $1,000 tires on a sport car too fast by driving like crazy or on a track all the time, it's a $10-20 leather thing that lasts for several months at the least.

tomatoshooter

It's not like we are wearing down a set of $1,000 tires on a sport car too fast by driving like crazy or on a track all the time
Leave my driving habits out of this! :)

My tips are more like oil changes. I'm going to step up to a firmer tip.
It's not really the expense, but the need to stay on top of it and/or maybe be without my shaft. I guess I'm going to have to get a spare shaft.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use triangle tips and start them low 3/32” for the sidewall. When I’m playing full time 40 hours a week I get about on average 120-140 hours of play on a good one. On a average one 80-100 hours. Which is 2-3 weeks.

I only use a tip tapper and rarely have a mushroom situation because I start them out low. It’s worth the effort for me as I don’t like tall tips.

I’ve had a few tips that started out great and after 20-30 hours they glaze over and are shot. Off they go!!!

I’ve had a few tips last well over 6-7 weeks. Those are rare, but it happens now and then.

With 2-3 shafts and a average of 3-4 weeks a tip I’m cool. I did that routine for years.

Your mileage may vary. It don’t matter really. Use what you like until it’s wore out and change it. There is no right or wrong answer. Unless your needlessly grinding up your tips for no reason. I’ve ground a few down that were glazing over hoping to solve that-it usually doesn’t work.

I would guess I use more tips than the average person. I like my tip just right or it’s gone-next. When I get a good one I take care of it.

Best
Fatboy 😃

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back when I had my fling with layered tips I decided I would shoot with a dime profile too. I wore out a Moori in a month!

First thing to go was the dime profile. Cut to a nickel or partway between a nickel and dime and the way you shoot will shape your tip to match your style. Don't try to keep trying to force your natural nickel into a dime or vice-versa. My tips are a bit flatter than a nickel. I wanted it to look more rounded but it plays just fine, I got used to looking at it!

When I am done for the day I wipe my tip down with usually a barely damp paper towel. Whatever fairly clean paper that is handy will work. If nothing else is handy I flip up the cuff on my blue jeans and clean the tip on the inside of my blue jeans leg. I never drag my tip across the carpet to clean it. I can't think of anything much filthier! You can also build up a lot of heat in a tip with a couple of swipes on carpet. I suspect those swipes on carpet are responsible for many tips popping off. I have seen a handful go flying.

When I take out my cue I take a BRAD tool and very firmly roll dents into the tips on my cues. I don't cut any leather off! My tips last a long time like this. I reduced my tip business about 75% showing customers this protocol. On the other hand the Willard tools are so good for a tip business that I was tempted to give one away with every install! Anything that cuts to a precise nickel or dime will gobble up tips fast.

I very rarely hit more than medium firm but I suspect I get five times the life out of a tip that you do. The first part of the trick is selecting a good Elkmaster, now you can buy them already selected, the Elkmaster Pro. It doesn't matter a whole lot if you dud these tips or not. Life will be good regardless. Been awhile but my last check found nine Elkmaster tips I didn't like out of fifty. At less than forty cents each it didn't pain me to toss them in the garbage. My customers and I have been pleased with all of the rest I put on.

Hu

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play hard pressed Triangles.
I take them down a fair amount after install.
I scuff them before each session with a good old Williard tip tool.
I play approximately 25 hours a week.
I rotate four identical shafts so I replace them probably every 4 years which comes to one year per tip.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use hard layered tips. Since they start out hard, I don’t trim them down. I rotate among 6 shafts for practice, but I have one shaft that I use when playing other people. I don’t play as much as I used to, maybe 3 or 4 times each week. Those hard layered tips last for years.

Zerksies

Lots of variables on this question. Tip hardness, How often you shape. Tip thickness. How often played with etc.

If I'm playing full time. I'm probably getting 2-3 months out of a tip. And I shape it often.

I switched recently to the last4ever tool and i basically take off the bare minimum.

If you go through tips quite often it would be good to learn how to change your own tips. It's going to save you quite a bit of money

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the main factor is how often and how you chalk your tip. I had a customer that chalked while thinking what shot to take. He was constantly chalking. I changed his tip every 3 or 4 months. if you give it a quick brush before your shot it will last longer.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I am at about 6 months on my Ultraskin Ivory Medium. Playing great and many more months left. I am predicting I'll get a year out of it.

I play 6 to 7 days a week. Rarely needs any shaping, just some tapping now and then.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I use a medium layered that I have shaved down a few layers when installed and my tips still last about a year playing 6-7 days a week.