Funny pic/gif thread...

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All cattle are referred to as cows. You'll never hear anyone refer to a heard as cows and bulls. It's sort of an inclusive term amongst those in the know. Cows, bulls, heifers, steers, calves, etc. All cows. (You think you know more about cows than the owner of that bull in the photo? )
Of course this is another silly little argument, but what the hell… 😁

I would argue the exact opposite. Having grown up in Wisconsin and knowing several dairy farmers, I’ve never heard anyone refer to their herd and the generic term “cows”. In fact, they take great care to differentiate their dairy “cows“ from the bulls.

Interestingly, dairy farmers are farmers and not ranchers. Damned if I know why either…

Perhaps the farmer in question figured that anybody stupid enough to shoot a head of cattle either wouldn’t know the difference, or he simply wanted to stick with a word simple enough for the morons to understand. 😂

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I would argue the exact opposite. Having grown up in Wisconsin and knowing several dairy farmers, I’ve never heard anyone refer to their herd and the generic term “cows”. In fact, they take great care to differentiate their dairy “cows“ from the bulls.

Interestingly, dairy farmers are farmers and not ranchers. Damned if I know why either…

Perhaps the farmer in question figured that anybody stupid enough to shoot a head of cattle either wouldn’t know the difference, or he simply wanted to stick with a word simple enough for the morons to understand. 😂
If you travel the country you'll hear different dialects and references. I live in Cajun country. Almost half my friends and people I shoot with are oil field workers. The other half are farmers and ranchers. I can go ten minutes down the road and see all the cows you want on one side of the road and all the sugar cane on the other side of the road. I'm riding horses at least once a month - trail rides, Mardi Gras, and round ups. I'm willing to bet my "neighborhood" looks a little different than Wisconsin. We don't have much dairy industry down here because of the soil but that same soil helps breed a lot of beef cows. My neighbors in Texas also refer to their cattle as cows. When we talk "cows" down here everyone assumes we're talking beef and not dairy. This whole conversation started because I just wanted to educate Boogie about animals having more than one label.

Hope you're safe from the storm in Florida.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member

Ranchers typically have a spread that the cattle openly graze on and shift which fields they graze on from time to time, where as dairy farmers keep their cows in pins close enough to herd them in for milking operations.

Jaden

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
All cattle are referred to as cows. You'll never hear anyone refer to a heard as cows and bulls. It's sort of an inclusive term amongst those in the know. Cows, bulls, heifers, steers, calves, etc. All cows. (You think you know more about cows than the owner of that bull in the photo? )

I was born on a little farm on latte nache bayou up in pointe coupee parish. I owned a cow or two by the time I was walking pretty good and it was my job to tend my "cows." Most of them weren't going to make it past the fall! Dad made the mistake of saying I could try to milk our milk cow. She was a one cow production line. We got milk, cream, the best butter that has ever been made, and mom tried her hand at cheese and a few things. That cow met the dairy needs of a family of six!

Not from Clover of course but mom made tallow candles too. Anyway, by the time a toddler followed a gentle old cow around all day with a tuna fish can dad didn't get much milk that evening! He told me I could milk her just a little bit from then on. Lucky it didn't become my full time job but I couldn't carry much milk.

I remember having two rows of peanuts to hoe when a hoe with half the handle broken off was taller than I was! We had it pretty good on the farm in a lot of ways but there wasn't anything handed to us!

The good old days when times were rotten. I miss them sometimes and wonder what life would have been like had I never left the farm.

So yeah, I agree. A cow on a farm or ranch is anything of the bovine persuasion!

Hu

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s all good, must be a regional thing. Around here, n o one would refer to a bull or calf, as a cow.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone is getting their livestock shot, it is not because they domt know what a cow is. Its because they are shooting at a target before daybreak, and are not identifying before they shoot. At which case they wouldn't be able to read the word COW painted on it anyway.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
aa.jpg

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no clue if bulls are cows or not, but damn I could go for a rare filet, loaded baked potato (plant based preferred) and a bottle of Silver Oak. What the hell, as long as I’m dreaming throw in a glass or two of a 1908 Madeira and a cigar.
You are one thirsty mf'r, damn!