Jump Cues.....what's the best out there right now.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I've never been a great jumper but I used jump cue a friend of mine had and the tip was hard but not slick.

I'd love to find jump break like that any ideas?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
It depends what you're looking for. It's hard to beat the bungee jump cue. It's around $80. There are more expensive cues but if you're still learning it will take you a very long way.

As for a jump/break, my honest opinion is that they don't jump as well as a dedicated jumper. Some are ok, but the ones I've tried were basically a jack of all trades and a master of none. They generally break very well but the jumping can leave much to be desired. YMMV but that's my opinion on j/b cues.

Obviously there are really nice customs and also high dollar cues. I'm not shitting on them, just saying for $80 and a bit of practice you can be jumping with deadly skill.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your question might be better if you asked; "What is the best jump cue tip?" That's where the rubber meets the road. Everything else is either a wooden or carbon fiber stick.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Your question might be better if you asked; "What is the best jump cue tip?" That's where the rubber meets the road. Everything else is either a wooden or carbon fiber stick.

I just found the jump cue my friend has. It's a Propel with the Taom 2 tip. Red colored. It was unlike anything I've ever hit with.

I have a Gulyassy Jump Break and and Air Hog I got in a trade. I prefer the Gulyassy over the Air Hog but both too slippery for me.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
It depends what you're looking for. It's hard to beat the bungee jump cue. It's around $80. There are more expensive cues but if you're still learning it will take you a very long way.

As for a jump/break, my honest opinion is that they don't jump as well as a dedicated jumper. Some are ok, but the ones I've tried were basically a jack of all trades and a master of none. They generally break very well but the jumping can leave much to be desired. YMMV but that's my opinion on j/b cues.

Obviously there are really nice customs and also high dollar cues. I'm not shitting on them, just saying for $80 and a bit of practice you can be jumping with deadly skill.

I'll check those out. Thanks.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been a great jumper but I used jump cue a friend of mine had and the tip was hard but not slick.

I'd love to find jump break like that any ideas?
I've had a few jump cues over the years, with different tips. I'm not sure there's a lick of difference between them. I'm not a great jumper by any means, but I can get the ball into the air with about the same effectiveness with any of them. I currently own two: A $140 Pechauer jump cue with a Samsara tip, and a near-$400 Cuetec Propel with a Taom tip. They both jump and are indistinguishable. Maaaaaybe the Samsara tip gives me a little more control, but that's a tip issue.

Get one with a good tip and then stick with that one and practice. 95% of your success will come from being familiar with what you are using and just practicing.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
tough to find now
alex brick jumps better than lomax and hanshew in my experience

I had one that was made by Player (exotic series) that worked well and now have one that was custom made by Doug Moore. I can't tell any difference in their effectiveness. I was jumping right away with both of them with surprising accuracy. It is definitely the tip that makes the most difference. Being short and light makes it easier, but I can jump with the shaft on a full size butt easily enough.

I thought I would use the jump shaft on my playing butt for a break cue as well, but that wasn't the best idea. I don't recall miscuing on the break for decades, but I did breaking with my jump shaft and it put a scuff in a brand new Aramith cue ball! I don't own a break cue, so I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe I would have the same results with any break cue. Who knows?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. every jump break I’ve ever had is always good for one but not the other.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try just about every jump cue I can because, unlike play cues, i find a tremendous amount of very discernible difference between them. So far, I haven’t found anything I like better than the Jacoby jumper. Extremely light, and it works very well with my dart technique.

I particularly did not like the Hanshew, but again, I use a dart style almost exclusively.

As for jump/break cues, I have yet to find one that does both jobs well. Most are far too heavy on the jump side…

GentlemanJames

Scorpion used to make a value-priced dedicated carbon-fiber Jumper with phenolic tip, which was just fine; and, it also came with a great little hard tube case which snap-hooked onto the outside of your cue case. I don't know why they stopped making them, but I wish Scorpion would make them again. I also wish I had not sold mine back in 2012. Today, I only see them for sale used, out of Japan on FleaBay; and the asking price is just silly. - GJ

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I try just about every jump cue I can because, unlike play cues, i find a tremendous amount of very discernible difference between them. So far, I haven’t found anything I like better than the Jacoby jumper. Extremely light, and it works very well with my dart technique.

I particularly did not like the Hanshew, but again, I use a dart style almost exclusively.

As for jump/break cues, I have yet to find one that does both jobs well. Most are far too heavy on the jump side…
Scorpion used to make a value-priced dedicated carbon-fiber Jumper with phenolic tip, which was just fine; and, it also came with a great little hard tube case which snap-hooked onto the outside of your cue case. I don't know why they stopped making them, but I wish Scorpion would make them again. I also wish I had not sold mine back in 2012. Today, I only see them for sale used, out of Japan on FleaBay; and the asking price is just silly. - GJ

I ended up with an Air Hog in some trades years ago. I can jump with it at certain angles but the tip is so slick I seem to have very limited success.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ended up with an Air Hog in some trades years ago. I can jump with it at certain angles but the tip is so slick I seem to have very limited success.
If your tip is “slipping off“ the cue ball, I think it’s your technique more than the tip.

I think you may be hitting it at too much of an oblique angle. You may need to be hitting more directly into the cue ball.

Smutzc

Meucci jump cue is what I run. A road player came through our town and took everyone’s money in our pool hall. Pissed everyone off, instead of being mad like everyone else, I made friends with him got him to come out and play at my place, got some good tips and advice from him. He ended up selling me that Meucci Jump cue at a bargain. Just a tid bit of advice, don’t be mad at a player that takes everyone’s money, become his friend and learn from him. Leave your pride to the side…

Zerksies

It’s a little out of most peoples price range, but the Predator Air Rush. The stock tip wash trash. I changed the tip to a Samsara.

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have tried all types and I find the Propel to be the easiest to use on the greatest variety of jump shots