Fluorescent to LED

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
too much light can be bad as well. but its all about what you like.

but for me i dont want it too bright and also about the same as places i go to play.
In no way does it look too bright, I'd call it well lit.🎃

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just changed the lights over my table from fluorescent to LED & wow. Should have done this years ago. I wanted more light, less shadows & a better color temp. I got it all (PLUS) quiet. No humming & buzzing. If you're running fluorescent lights & are thinking about LED GO FOR IT!
Can you just do a direct switch in the same fixture?

I have one kitchen light with 4 four foot bulbs in a very high ceiling. I'd love to not have to change those again for a LONG time.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

I have one kitchen light with 4 four foot bulbs in a very high ceiling. I'd love to not have to change those again for a LONG time.
It is an option. There are things you must know both about your fixture, as well as the prospective replacement bulbs, and you will have several options available to you including getting the correct type of LED bulb that will work with your existing fixture, or doing an easy wiring conversion to your fixture. There are significant advantages and disadvantages to going each route depending on which of certain factors is most important to you (ease of the swap, how long you will be able to go before next having to access the fixture to either repair it or replace the bulb, etc).

A search of "fluorescent to led" will give all the detail and instruction needed regardless of which route you choose.

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a 9ft diamond light over my 9 ft Diamond Professional table. It came with 3 8 foot fixtures that hold 2 bulbs in each fixture. I bought 2 4 packs of 8 ft LED T8 bulbs, I think around 5 or 6k lumens per bulb. I read somewhere that the ballasts were not necessary with the LEDs, so I just cut the incoming and out going wires on each ballast and spliced them together, effectively just bypassing the ballasts. So now I have 6 8ft LED bulbs running in that fixture with no problems at all. I have 2 spares just in case. It was A LOT of light initially, so I went to Lowes and bought fogged diffuser panels and it toned them down nicely. Honestly 4 bulbs would probably be plenty but I like it as is. I did read something about extra steps if a dimmer was going to be used but I didn't go there.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9ft diamond light over my 9 ft Diamond Professional table. It came with 3 8 foot fixtures that hold 2 bulbs in each fixture. I bought 2 4 packs of 8 ft LED T8 bulbs, I think around 5 or 6k lumens per bulb. I read somewhere that the ballasts were not necessary with the LEDs, so I just cut the incoming and out going wires on each ballast and spliced them together, effectively just bypassing the ballasts. So now I have 6 8ft LED bulbs running in that fixture with no problems at all. I have 2 spares just in case. It was A LOT of light initially, so I went to Lowes and bought fogged diffuser panels and it toned them down nicely. Honestly 4 bulbs would probably be plenty but I like it as is. I did read something about extra steps if a dimmer was going to be used but I didn't go there.
Thanks!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is an option. There are things you must know both about your fixture, as well as the prospective replacement bulbs, and you will have several options available to you including getting the correct type of LED bulb that will work with your existing fixture, or doing an easy wiring conversion to your fixture. There are significant advantages and disadvantages to going each route depending on which of certain factors is most important to you (ease of the swap, how long you will be able to go before next having to access the fixture to either repair it or replace the bulb, etc).

A search of "fluorescent to led" will give all the detail and instruction needed regardless of which route you choose.
Thank you!

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just completly removed the fluorescent fixtures (at least 30 lbs) & replaced with 2 8ft LEDs (about 2 lbs) each. My only regret is waiting so long.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LED's are way better
Certainly uses less electricity (beneficial in my case, since they are connected to the circuit/switch that lights the entire basement). Removed the ballasts in my 2-bulb 8’ library fixture, but the only LEDs I could find then (daylight) have a less warm color temp than flouro (makes the ball colors more garish), but the extra brightness sort of compensates (I’m used to it now). The LED bulbs are harder to install though (limp/flexible), and need extra supports. Just don’t make the same mistake I did, and stand on the slates when working on the fixture (Oh well, table needed recovering anyway), as that put everything out of level (2X4s & plywood would have helped).

poondogger

Registered
3084.JPG

Not the best Pic but made my light from 4 2'x2' LED flat panel lights. Dimmable, color changeable from surgery white to yellow. Just added LED strip on top for effect. Cheap too. They only sell 2x4 panels now and they went up in price.