Earl Strickland SPECIAL LIVE PODCAST with Kim and Reed at the Int'l Open

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He makes some valid points about straight pool, but he is, of course, exaggerating when he says 9 ball is all luck.

It would be interesting to see straight pool tournaments on a 10 X 5.

However, Kim and Reid should have pointed out that 14.1 isn't very TV friendly and that would be the sticking point.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
It was a great interview showcasing Earl leadership, his criticisms were clear
and concise.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going from 10 foot table to 9 X 4 1/2 hindered the the greats that came up playing on the larger tables. Sorta like Mr Lassiter was hindered when
they went from playing 2 shot foul 9 ball and brought about 1 shot foul. Want to make pool fans sit up and notice? Bring back 2 shot foul and
have players pushing out to tough cuts and banks for their money instead of seeing who can hook their competitor the best.

CanadianGuy

Earl has mentioned the luck factor in 9 ball numerous times going back decades

one thing I disagree with if I understood correctly is his version of straights would be equal offence/ no defence

remove defence from a game and its no longer a game anymore jut an offensive skills competition

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I feel like the move to 9 foot tables was the beginning of the end for 14.1. I was looking at the stats for the old 14.1 world championships and after the transition, the high runs exploded.

More frequent 50-70 hall runs means longer innings on average, which is harder for a fan to watch. Longer runs necessitated longer matches, which opens the game up to long drawn out affairs if players aren’t on their game.

I feel like 10 foot tables and 125 point matches was the sweet spot.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl has mentioned the luck factor in 9 ball numerous times going back decades

one thing I disagree with if I understood correctly is his version of straights would be equal offence/ no defence

remove defence from a game and its no longer a game anymore jut an offensive skills competition
A good and popular point but IMO there is a bias against forward risk. IOW, the outs are usually watered with two ways that everyone knows are just half assed safeties or worse, only remedial. I think there should be more Stricklands that attack the score instead. Pool IS skill.

...remove defence from a game and its no longer a game anymore jut an offensive skills competition
You play a lot of snooker? The Olympics calls themselves games yet most of it is trying to outdo not just each other but the standards of the respective genre(s) themselves. While I believe pool is not in consideration because of the hustle stigma - one it earned and continues to refinance, pool is not being considered for the 'Lympics because it hardly passes as an athletic game. In simple terms there's not enough action for public consumption.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15:20.. how exactly are these guys going to help "players make a living playing pool" and "help everybody"?

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
15:20.. how exactly are these guys going to help "players make a living playing pool" and "help everybody"?

They represent the US Pro Billiards Tour, which I believe is a CSI product and also sponsored by Predator. The PBT events normally coincide with a CSI League event. Pros and league players both benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They represent the US Pro Billiards Tour, which I believe is a CSI product and also sponsored by Predator. The PBT events normally coincide with a CSI League event. Pros and league players both benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSI/predator's tour is called Pro Billiard Series..

on PBT all i can find, aside from the youtube stuff, is this webpage https://probilliardstour.com/ promoting said youtube stuff and also bitcoin/crypto news

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a great interview, a lot of comparison to golf. If you been playing/watching pool for a long time.you can see where he is coming from!!