Recommendations for European 3 Cushion trip in May 2023

bernie

I am planning a trip to Europe next May for 10 days. A bucket list thing, so to speak.....

Starting in Amsterdam, Netherlands, I am looking for recommendations for 3 Cushion Billiard rooms within approx 3 or 4 hundred miles of Amsterdam. The plan is to drive for up to 2 or 3 hours (max) a day (or couple of days), play billiards for a few hours, visit with local 3C players, have a nice dinner, sleep, and repeat for 10 days.

This might encompass Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, North/Central France.

Ideally these billiard rooms would have good 3C tables, be in reasonably safe neighborhoods, in towns/cities that would also be appealing to spend a day or two. Bonus points for places that are also appealing from a city center dining/walking experience.

Thanks.

Bernie P.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A good start would be to ask Bert van Manen. He is here occasionally and has a FaceBook page.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi bernie,

as a "must go", you should plan a trip to Gand/Gent (Belgium) and to Bruges/Brugge (Belgium) . not only to play 3 cushions : those 2 towns are jewels , 2 superb places to visit, really unique.
Same goes for Anvers/Antwerpen (belgium) , even the town is bigger and with an industrial harbour background.

in north France, there are some strong players in Soisson (be carefull when it comes to "small games", you'll meet monsters there) , and in Gravelines . But those are small towns , not so interesting as a tourist.

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bernie, Howdy;

Might want to get in touch with these folks;

hank

bernie

hi bernie,

as a "must go", you should plan a trip to Gand/Gent (Belgium) and to Bruges/Brugge (Belgium) . not only to play 3 cushions : those 2 towns are jewels , 2 superb places to visit, really unique.
Same goes for Anvers/Antwerpen (belgium) , even the town is bigger and with an industrial harbour background.

in north France, there are some strong players in Soisson (be carefull when it comes to "small games", you'll meet monsters there) , and in Gravelines . But those are small towns , not so interesting as a tourist.
Hi Erriep, I appreciate the suggestions. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Trying to locate carom rooms in these towns is apparantly not the easiest thing.... do you perhaps have any first hand experience of playing at specific rooms in these towns?

Thanks!

bernie

bernie, Howdy;

Might want to get in touch with these folks;

hank
Hi Basics,

Good suggestion. They don't appear to have 3C tables.

Your post of this location will prompt me to reach out to Alex Lely, who as I recall, also plays a little 3C himself.

Thanks!

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Trying to locate carom rooms in these towns is apparantly not the easiest thing.... do you perhaps have any first hand experience of playing at specific rooms in these towns?

Thanks!
in Brugge :

KONINKLIJKE BRUGSE BILJARTCLUB

Diksmuidestraat 3

8000 Brugge

West Vlaanderen - Vlaanderen - Belgium

in addition, there is a superb & friendly snooker club in downtown , with one 9'' pool table.

Last edited:

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!
In Gent/Gand , there are some clubs. Here is a short list , clic on the names to see the location :

(Biljart = billiard)

T@BP

The place you should not miss is Mister 100
Nowadays it is Mr Raymond Ceulemans grandchildren who runs the poolroom, they are super nice and helpful.
The city of Lier is as good as a small town gets in EU, lots of restaurants, no crime and full of beautiful old buildings.

IMG_4278.jpg
IMG_4279.jpg
IMG_4264.jpg
IMG_4267.jpg
IMG_4268.jpg
IMG_4269.jpg
IMG_4275.jpg
IMG_4276.jpg
IMG_4277.jpg
IMG_4274.jpg

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rofl of course, Mister100 in Lier ! thanks T@BP .

bernie, there are plenty of places to play in Belgium. Be carefull when it comes to small games (straight rail/balkline) , Belgium is a small country , but many very strong players. Players in Belgium are like the belgian beers : there are plenty , and often strong , and sometimes, verrry strong .

Last edited:

bernie

in Brugge :

KONINKLIJKE BRUGSE BILJARTCLUB

Diksmuidestraat 3

8000 Brugge

West Vlaanderen - Vlaanderen - Belgium

in addition, there is a superb & friendly snooker club in downtown , with one 9'' pool table.
Thanks Erriep,

This one looks great!

bernie

The place you should not miss is Mister 100
Nowadays it is Mr Raymond Ceulemans grandchildren who runs the poolroom, they are super nice and helpful.
The city of Lier is as good as a small town gets in EU, lots of restaurants, no crime and full of beautiful old buildings.

View attachment 671837View attachment 671838View attachment 671840View attachment 671841View attachment 671842View attachment 671843View attachment 671845View attachment 671846View attachment 671847View attachment 671852
Hi T@BP,

I appreciate this one, it looks absolutely ideal for 3C play and a great looking place.

Thank you!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bert vM sez:

Mr 100 in Lier, Belgium is an obvious choice. Nice little city, great restaurants.

Just over the border: Den Hoek in Zundert, the Netherlands. Two of the four world record runs of 28 were made there. Not much to do in terms of being a tourist, unless you are a Vincent van Gogh fan (it's his birth town).

I don' t dare recommend the famous room in Paris anymore, think it closed.

Most prominent rooms in Germany are only open on days with League play, you can't just walk in and play 3-C.

Innsbruck, Austria has a good room, I could look up the URL if you want it.

Same goes for the room in Vienna, which is of course perfect for tourism.

Biljartcafe Jorissen in The Hague, the Netherlands might be another good one.

bernie

Bert vM sez:

Mr 100 in Lier, Belgium is an obvious choice. Nice little city, great restaurants.

Just over the border: Den Hoek in Zundert, the Netherlands. Two of the four world record runs of 28 were made there. Not much to do in terms of being a tourist, unless you are a Vincent van Gogh fan (it's his birth town).

I don' t dare recommend the famous room in Paris anymore, think it closed.

Most prominent rooms in Germany are only open on days with League play, you can't just walk in and play 3-C.

Innsbruck, Austria has a good room, I could look up the URL if you want it.

Same goes for the room in Vienna, which is of course perfect for tourism.

Biljartcafe Jorissen in The Hague, the Netherlands might be another good one.
Thank you Bob. Much appreciated!

Austria sounds great, but just a little too far for this trip.

Bernie.