Flying commercial airline, it appears I'll need to check my cue as baggage and cannot "carry-on". Thoughts/options?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be flying Southwest soon and my JB case is 39" long and SW airlines policy is; "Your carryon can be no bigger than 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H). If it’s bigger than those dimensions, it will need to be checked". Since my case is 39" long I'll have to check my cue/case as baggage. I don't like this idea much. Any ideas about a protective case of some sort to put it in?

Drive...........don't fly.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Peri black diamond 3x4 cue case was under 200$ it's abs material not unlike a skb guitar or gun case

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221125-173817_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125-173817_Chrome.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 51

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've flown a few dozen times over the last 20 years with my cues without too much problems. Just got back from Puerto Rico. I just use a good hard case this time an Instroke 2x4 southwest that I picked up. I have a Sterling travel case that I put it in. Really haven't any serious issues other than it did go to an oversize luggage return in P.R. I try to get to the luggage carousel asap so I can be there to grab it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be flying Southwest soon and my JB case is 39" long and SW airlines policy is; "Your carryon can be no bigger than 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H). If it’s bigger than those dimensions, it will need to be checked". Since my case is 39" long I'll have to check my cue/case as baggage. I don't like this idea much. Any ideas about a protective case of some sort to put it in? I was thinking something like a gun/rifle case if I could find one that would work.
Thanks for any replies.

If you are flying with anything valuable or unique, and it's not absolutely necessary, get a cheap cue that fits a shaft you are OK with using and bring that instead of your favorite stuff. Luggage gets lost, stuff gets stolen in random places. Only time I have brought my main playing stuff is when driving.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Security wise, a flight case for cues says "compact valuable object". If it's a one time trip, pack the cue case in something larger and less attractive. (don't know what that is) If you travel with your cues, ship them ahead.

SlateMan

Registered
I picked up a Sportube meant for skis at a thrift shop for $10. Not sure what the airline will charge me to check that sucker. It will hold several pool cue cases.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I picked up a Sportube meant for skis at a thrift shop for $10. Not sure what the airline will charge me to check that sucker. It will hold several pool cue cases.
Adjusts to 83 inches long so you could even take house cues. At 48 inches minimum, I think it's going to come out in the oversized baggage area. Kinda pricey for a new one.

Ghost of OBC

I travel a lot to play golf and fish. Most airlines allow you to check a golf bag for the same price as a regular piece of checked luggage. I bring a half set of golf clubs, put my rods in rod tubes, tackle and tools, and most of my clothes in my rolling golf bag. A small scale helps to stay under 50lbs. I also use something Club Glove Stiff Arm to protect the clubs and rods from vertical pressure. I've only had one club shaft broken in dozens of trips. The rods in tubes have always been fine. I wouldn't hesitate to put my cues in a cheap 2/2 chase in with the clubs. The airlines tend to treat golf clubs pretty well, and they go to oversized baggage claim, so less tempted for someone to pilfer from the carousel.

Edit to add: Airline quickly paid for my driver shaft to be repaired. I also use velcro straps to attach clubs/rod tubes/any other long skinny thing to the Stiff Arm.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Did you file a claim with the airline?

I solved that problem by getting a rolling duffel with a lifetime warranty. Bottom bracing fixed once and a free set of wheels when the baggage handlers managed to grind flat spots on both wheels. Eagle Creek. Wheels replaced at 14 years old.
Rolling duffle or large hard suitcase is what I commonly see when I bump into the pro checking in or out of the hotels. OP can do a forum search as this question have been asked, and answered many times.