Mosconi cup

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Earl tries really to do his best, mentally and playing wise, but is not enough to be competitive with today's top players.

I think Earl tries really to do his best, mentally and playing wise, but is not enough to be competitive with today's top players.
It’s really unfortunate. He’s so far outclassed. He’s playing against 5 world class players, all in their prime (save for maybe David). It speaks more to the USA’s lack of pool depth that we have to rely on Earl to get us points.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s really unfortunate. He’s so far outclassed. He’s playing against 5 world class players, all in their prime (save for maybe David). It speaks more to the USA’s lack of pool depth that we have to rely on Earl to get us points.
JJ did not choose Earl, Matchroom did.

It's really a bummer to see Earl playing like this because it gives the impression that his career is fizzling out pretty unceremoniously. Last time he played a Mosconi Cup (2013), he didn't play that great, but he played at least as well as the other Americans in general, and the whole team got crushed anyway. This year, it kind of seems like the US is totally capable of winning the cup, but Earl is a serious liability and I'm sure a lot of people are thinking that there are a lot of American players who could be doing better in his place. Given his career as a whole, this is a mess for Earl's reputation.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has noticed or mentioned this, but it looks to me like the TV table is slightly rolling off to the left side. Does anyone else see it?

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, I don't know if anyone else has noticed or mentioned this, but it looks to me like the TV table is slightly rolling off to the left side. Does anyone else see it?
This has been mentioned by other members. I saw a funny looking ball on one of the lags, but not during play.

VTEC John

This was my assessment before play started. Europe too strong. I still hope I'm wrong and, yeah, anything can happen in races to 5. But...

SVB and Shaw pretty equal.
Woodward and Filler pretty equal.
Styer maybe not as strong as Alcaide.
Dominguez not as strong as Sanchez Ruiz.
Strickland not as strong as Ouschan.

bmeek

Registered
Filler making an ass of himself there, slamming a 1-9 combo bank into the side and howling as it rims the side and pops out lol

VVP

Registered
I thought the two wild cards were both captain’s picks? If not, never mind then. Pretty egregious that matchroom gets a say in who can play in the MC.
JJ did not choose Earl, Matchroom did.
Not correct. On the Pool Player Podcast JJ said that it was entirely his choice to select Earl. Matchroom had no say according to JJ. It up to everyone if they want to believe what JJ said, but that was directly from his mouth.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the situation Earl was up 1-0 and had BIH on the 2. He elected to play safe on the 2 instead of run out. The safe was perfectly executed, but Albin kicked at the next ball and eventually gained control of the table after a safety battle. Albin made an unforced error while running out and Earl ended up winning this game. But I don't know why Earl didn't shoot the 2 straight in and draw back and or draw across for the 3, depending on the angle he could get.

1670022918162.png

1670022938964.png

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not correct. On the Pool Player Podcast JJ said that it was entirely his choice to select Earl. Matchroom had no say according to JJ. It up to everyone if they want to believe what JJ said, but that was directly from his mouth.
If that’s true, I stand corrected. I thought this was all discussed a few months back when Earl was picked, but perhaps my memory is failing me. My excuse - I’m about the same age as Earl.