and can you create some kind of
bad conditions such as a table
that’s not level somewhere or
make one rail dead?
No.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How so? What setup should result in a double kiss but doesn’t?

pj
chgo
Specifically the half ball bank cross corner. Ball is about a half ball to a ball up the side rail, frozen. The cue ball is about the same distance off the end rail and maybe out in the open near the middle diamond. On every table, big or small this is a half ball bank cross corner. Except anything manufactured by VP. I haven't tried it but I imagine the Bentivegna impossible cross side bank would fare worse.

Half Ball Bank.png

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Specifically the half ball bank cross corner. Ball is about a half ball to a ball up the side rail, frozen. The cue ball is about the same distance off the end rail and maybe out in the open near the middle diamond. On every table, big or small this is a half ball bank cross corner. Except anything manufactured by VP. I haven't tried it but I imagine the Bentivegna impossible cross side bank would fare worse.

View attachment 676137
My copy of VP4 double kisses that shot at all but the thinnest cuts.

Here's your halfball hit - it double kisses and misses, with or without sidespin. I think this is pretty natural.
VP4 dbl kiss bank2.png

Here's a kissback that also makes the shot.
VP4 dbl kiss bank.png

pj
chgo

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My copy of VP4 double kisses that shot at all but the thinnest cuts.

Here's your halfball hit - it double kisses and misses, with or without sidespin. I think this is pretty natural.
View attachment 676160

Here's a kissback that also makes the shot.
View attachment 676159

pj
chgo
That's what I meant. Take the first shot to a regular table and hit it hard and centerball. It banks straight back.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Take the first shot to a regular table and hit it hard and centerball. It banks straight back.
I'm skeptical, but I'll try it.

Maybe VP's balls are brand new and perfectly clean, so not as much throw...? Or maybe VP doesn't model cushion compression accurately...?

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Maybe VP's balls are brand new and perfectly clean, so not as much throw...? Or maybe VP doesn't model cushion compression accurately...?
I think that all of the collisions in VP are instantaneous. This classic trick shot with two balls on the headstring to bank the 9 does not work in VP

CropperCapture[135].png

It is very hard to calculate such shots accurately compared to simple ball-ball collisions and balls moving across the cloth.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
never played one game of vp. hopefully that trend continues.
VP is very useful for understanding what is possible on the table. I have no interest in learning how to aim in the game. I have practiced 14.1 using the aiming helper (called "tracking") and had one of my best matches after running 150s back to back in VP. I was mostly practicing patterns.

As for the OP, VP does keep track of the rotation of the cue ball and could keep track of chalk spots on the cue ball, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
i almost never play electronic pool,
but they try to be very realistic,

can they recreate what the snooker
players call kicks?

and can you create some kind of
bad conditions such as a table
that’s not level somewhere or
make one rail dead?
Do blow-up dolls get mad at you ‘cause you forgot their birthday?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
VP's tracking feature impresses me with its speed, accuracy, clarity and usefulness. I'll be first in line when their tracking glasses come out. .
One of the reasons it's so fast is that it treats the collisions very simply. That's accurate enough for single ball-ball contacts but it gets the details wrong for the special cases of cushion compression and shots like the double spot shot at one pocket where three balls are in contact simultaneously.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
One of the reasons it's so fast is that it treats the collisions very simply. That's accurate enough for single ball-ball contacts but it gets the details wrong for the special cases of cushion compression and shots like the double spot shot at one pocket where three balls are in contact simultaneously.
I've never used it for aiming practice - does it get throw right?

pj
chgo