Earl's Fat Butt Wrap...for sale?

WobblyStroke

I prefer wide butt cues in general but am intrigued by Earl's massive butt cover for his grip hand. Is anyone selling an attachment of this sort? Or you guys know of any cue makers that can fashion one for me? Closest I've come is putting tennis overgrips over the butt of one of my cues. It's fine but a uniform diameter grip made by a precision craftsman would be next level and something I am eager to try out.
Hey, he was right about cue length; think he might be on to something with butt diameter as well.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer wide butt cues in general but am intrigued by Earl's massive butt cover for his grip hand. Is anyone selling an attachment of this sort? Or you guys know of any cue makers that can fashion one for me? Closest I've come is putting tennis overgrips over the butt of one of my cues. It's fine but a uniform diameter grip made by a precision craftsman would be next level and something I am eager to try out.
Hey, he was right about cue length; think he might be on to something with butt diameter as well.
I'd start by contacting

MIKE GULYASSY​

He more then likely made Earl's cue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any cuemaker will make you a fat butt cue. some like Gilbert and Josey tend to make their stuff pretty big. by 'pretty big' i mean anything over 1.25".

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any cuemaker will make you a fat butt cue. some like Gilbert and Josey tend to make their stuff pretty big. by 'pretty big' i mean anything over 1.25".

This sort of piqued my curiosity, because I have a Josey sneaky, and it doesn't feel much (or any) different from my other cues. So, I broke out the dial calipers and did some measuring. Now, the fly in the ointment, is that I'm not sure exactly where to measure the diameter of the cue. So I decided to simply measure them down by the butt cap. Of course, they are all quite a bit smaller at the center point of where the wrap would be.

Keith Josey----- 1.272"
Pechauer------ 1.278"
Schmelke------ 1.260"
Meucci------ 1.295"

I've probably had the Meucci since around 2000, and haven't used it years. But it always did feel fat, to me.

Das Cue-Boot

They make tennis racquet grips in tube form, no seams.
Not sure where you are getting your racquet grips. I repair these and install dozens of grips and overgrips for club, schools and friends during a year. I've never see any tube grips. The closest that I use is some heat shrink tubing that is good for making the grip a size larger. Then you put on a grip and overgrip.

As for using the tennis overgrips, I tried that on a break cue where the rubber grip had disintegrated. My problem was that neither the grips nor overgrips were long enough, and in any case, the overgrip was too thin--more along the thickness of a leather or linen wrap.

What I did find worked pretty well was from another of my sports, cycling. Handlebar tape is substantially thicker and about that of the rubber grips, and comes in long enough pieces that you can do the whole grip. Took me maybe 20 minutes to do a test wrap, then come back with some contact cement, and I have a nice, very comfortable Cinelli cork wrap on my Pure-X break cue.

Oh--the other problem. Try sometime to find a replacement for their vaunted Pure-X rubber grip. Nobody sells them, no web site, essentially no support. No longer a problem. Cinelli has a much wider choice of colors than black as well.

Last edited:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Not sure where you are getting your racquet grips. I repair these and install dozens of grips and overgrips for club, schools and friends during a year. I've never see any tube grips. The closest that I use is some heat shrink tubing that is good for making the grip a size larger. Then you put on a grip and overgrip.

As for using the tennis overgrips, I tried that on a break cue where the rubber grip had disintegrated. My problem was that neither the grips nor overgrips were long enough, and in any case, the overgrip was too thin--more along the thickness of a leather or linen wrap.

What I did find worked pretty well was from another of my sports, cycling. Handlebar tape is substantially thicker and about that of the rubber grips, and comes in long enough pieces that you can do the whole grip. Took me maybe 20 minutes to do a test wrap, then come back with some contact cement, and I have a nice, very comfortable Cinelli cork wrap on my Pure-X break cue.
Hmm perhaps it wasn't a tennis-specific grip. One of the guys who played weekly at one of the tennis complexes in Tucson had one on his racquet. He had it over his wrapped grip for some reason. I suppose it could have been a rubber sleeve like they use on aluminum softball bats.

Reactions: fjk

WobblyStroke

Well, Earl's a genius! Right about the long cues and, at least for a style similar to his, def right about the fat grip. Reminds me of the fat putter grips that take the handsyness out of putting. You still get a ton of snap but it really doesn't feel like the hand is doing anything at all.

The option I went with, rather than buying a bunch of wraps to try this out, was to strip the used up overgrips on my golfclubs and stack those till I get a fairly uniform diameter big wrap. It took NINE of the overgrips. They are soft and tacky enough to not allow for any slipping around no matter how loose I try to hold the cue. I'm a big guy at 6'3 with large hands and this thing pretty much fits my hand ideally when in a dead hang. Feels awesome. Now I just need a brand new all black tennis grip for the final top layer to get the look and surface feel just right.

Rusty in Montana

Another option would be try " vet wrap " if you have a veterinarian or farm and ranch store .
If you don't have access to either of those I've got some hot pink vet wrap I can send for a nominal fee .

WobblyStroke

Another option would be try " vet wrap " if you have a veterinarian or farm and ranch store .
If you don't have access to either of those I've got some hot pink vet wrap I can send for a nominal fee .
"hot pink' killed me. Maximum swagoo.

In this video, it looks like a towel and tape.
Ye, i put a lil material down just to protect my cue from any adhesives or leakage off the overgrips I put on. Luckily I had put off trashing the golf overgrips and still had them to try this out with. I love it. One more pristine new layer of tennis overgrips and mine will be as fat as Earl's. I mean, it is big already, but in that vid, his looks huge.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Bicycle handle bar grip tape could work too, but I know from personal experience that electrical tape works great as well.

WobblyStroke

Bicycle grip wrap could work too, but I know from personal experience that electrical tape works great as well.
Ye I think Earl has several different tapes on his in dif regions. Tennis overgrip for sure, but now that you mention it, I think where he actually puts his hand is bicycle tape....or at least it was in one of the iterations I saw recently. Ima play around with it too. Based on how it fits my game, I'm def keeping the fat butt wrap. Now just down to tweaking exact feel/tackiness/diameter.
Up next: finger extensions and a power lifting belt lol.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Don't forget the shooting range ear muffs and glasses. Possibly platform shoes 🙃
Ye I think Earl has several different tapes on his in dif regions. Tennis overgrip for sure, but now that you mention it, I think where he actually puts his hand is bicycle tape....or at least it was in one of the iterations I saw recently. Ima play around with it too. Based on how it fits my game, I'm def keeping the fat butt wrap. Now just down to tweaking exact feel/tackiness/diameter.
Up next: finger extensions and a power lifting belt lol.