Difference in GC values?

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello All! What, if any, is the value difference between a Gold Crown 3 and 4. Let’s say both are in good condition. Is one more desirable than the other? Is one built better than the other? Knowledgeable opinions appreciated!
Thanks

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Hello All! What, if any, is the value difference between a Gold Crown 3 and 4. Let’s say both are in good condition. Is one more desirable than the other? Is one built better than the other? Knowledgeable opinions appreciated!
Thanks
Really a preference thing. Do a search on GC IV and GC 3 for this site, lots of posts about them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks
The 4 is more desirable. Flush mount pockets are big selling point. The later 4's had stronger frames but all are nice tables.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely a 4 is more desirable. The early 3's had the wood rail angle that that if the rubber goes bad, a modern superspeed replacement does not fit properly. The later 3's use modern rubber. All the 4's and later use modern rubber.

The 4's have better pockets as mentioned above. The 4's got rid of the score counters and the "brunswick" on the end rails, like the 1, 2, 3 have, so less metal to scratch your cues. The 4's look better.

Edit to add, this makes the 4 a better table, but as far as value, I don't thing 1-4 are priced much differently. I think only the 5 is more as its much newer.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will probably pay 2 to 3 thousand more for the GC4. A good GC3, in my area, will go for 2 thou. Th 4's I was actually able to find were in the 4500 range

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely a 4 is more desirable. The early 3's had the wood rail angle that that if the rubber goes bad, a modern superspeed replacement does not fit properly. The later 3's use modern rubber. All the 4's and later use modern rubber.

The 4's have better pockets as mentioned above. The 4's got rid of the score counters and the "brunswick" on the end rails, like the 1, 2, 3 have, so less metal to scratch your cues. The 4's look better.

Edit to add, this makes the 4 a better table, but as far as value, I don't thing 1-4 are priced much differently. I think only the 5 is more as its much newer.
It is my understanding all Gold Crown III's have subrail bevels to accept modern K55 cushions as they came with Brunswick SuperSpeed cushions, not Brunswick Monarch SuperSpeed cushions.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
4s are better, but the prices are all over the place for GCs.
15 years ago I paid $1400 for a GC2 w/new 860 installed.
5 years ago I paid $500 for a GC3 with the upgraded GC4 flush pocket top +$500 set up with 860HR.
If you're patient, you will find a deal if you live near a fairly populated area.
I sold the GC3/4 for $1500 when I moved -still a good deal for that table.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is my understanding all Gold Crown III's have subrail bevels to accept modern K55 cushions as they came with Brunswick SuperSpeed cushions, not Brunswick Monarch SuperSpeed cushions.
I don't have first hand experience with this, just what I remember reading in the mechanics forum over the years. I recall something was different in the early 3's that made the angle incompatible with the modern K55 SS cushions. Maybe that was the period after Monarch, when they were using different vendors? But maybe the shape was the same as the Monarch?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have first hand experience with this, just what I remember reading in the mechanics forum over the years. I recall something was different in the early 3's that made the angle incompatible with the modern K55 SS cushions. Maybe that was the period after Monarch, when they were using different vendors? But maybe the shape was the same as the Monarch?
My understanding was Monarch SuperSpeed cushions are what Brunswick used on most all their tables up to the start of Gold Crown III production. I'm not sure if any of those made their was to Gold Crown III production but it is possible especially if they had leftover Gold Crown I and II rails.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My understanding was Monarch SuperSpeed cushions are what Brunswick used on most all their tables up to the start of Gold Crown III production. I'm not sure if any of those made their was to Gold Crown III production but it is possible especially if they had leftover Gold Crown I and II rails.
Highly likely. Some early 3's had 1-2-style frames and probably rails too.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're patient, you will find a deal if you live near a fairly populated area.
I would say that kind of depends on the part of the country, in which you live. Here in Texas, Gold Crowns just aren't very plentiful on the open market. I looked for two years, and only ran across few (of any model), here in the DFW area. And they weren't cheap. Anything in decent shape was at least $2K. I finally found a good one. That was 10 years ago, so maybe times have changed. But it certainly did take a lot of patience.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that kind of depends on the part of the country, in which you live. Here in Texas, Gold Crowns just aren't very plentiful on the open market. I looked for two years, and only ran across few (of any model), here in the DFW area. And they weren't cheap. Anything in decent shape was at least $2K. I finally found a good one. That was 10 years ago, so maybe times have changed. But it certainly did take a lot of patience.
I just saw two ads here in New Orleans. A GC3 for 6K and a GC5 for 10k firm. Nuts I tell you🤣

SlateMan

Registered
Dont forget the IV's and above have the better leveling system. There are like 22 adjustments built into the table in addition to the four leg levelers.

GoodPM

Dont forget the IV's and above have the better leveling system. There are like 22 adjustments built into the table in addition to the four leg levelers.
The leg levelers are good, and the slate levelers are good for getting slate seams flat, but I am with RKC on using them for final leveling - don't. The slate levelers are not located in the most advantageous positions for final leveling.

I just leveled my GC4 by myself (with RKC on the phone) and never touched one of the slate levelers.

GoodPM

I'd go with the 4 over the 3 just for flush pockets. I recently picked one up for $1500, but the seller wasn't aware that they had a GC4, nor what people will pay for them.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
whats the difference between Brunswick superspeed and brunswick monarch superspeed

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whats the difference between Brunswick superspeed and brunswick monarch superspeed
Same profile, slightly different dimensions. Brunswick Monarch SuperSpeed hasn‘t been made for decades.

Reactions: bbb