Why running English for multiple rails kicks?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i think the reason for kicking with running english
is the systems that use running english wont work with no spin
also its hard to hit the ball with NO spin
running english gives alittle more margin of error in your accuracy on the cue ball

jmho
icbw

Pubo

No, I think the running always makes the outbound line closer to the cushion than the inbound line.
Sorry I didn't explain myself clearly. What I mean is, if you kick without running spin, the outbound line off the second cushion will not be parallel to the inbound line of the first cushion, and because the CB picks up running English, the outbound line off the second cushion will . But if you use running spin, the CB path looks more like the ideal mirror reflection. Something like the following
with running0.jpg
without running0.jpg

Jack Fate

Red line is what I get on my valley bar box.
Now in the Jennifer B video the base line is the center short rail to 2 nd diamond long rail ( between side & end rail ) that’s the route to get back to the corner . If running is applied I will miss corner by one full dimond.
Funny she says some kick by feel she prefers accuracy.
I believe if you practice it & it works for you good .

I did like her video on this and have watched it several times. It works but seems to have pretty tight tolerances of usefulness.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Red line is what I get on my valley bar box.
Now in the Jennifer B video the base line is the center short rail to 2 nd diamond long rail ( between side & end rail ) that’s the route to get back to the corner . If running is applied I will miss corner by one full dimond.
Funny she says some kick by feel she prefers accuracy.
I believe if you practice it & it works for you good .

I did like her video on this and have watched it several times. It works but seems to have pretty tight tolerances of usefulness.
that NO spin billiard system is very sensitive to accuracy in both aim and hit on cue ball
in the system the middle diamond on the short rail is "2" and on a billiard table if you aim at "2" on the long rail you get to the corner
i find on a pool table if you aim at "1" which hits the rail at the rail nose across from "2" you get to the corner
if you look closely at the lines of the video
one of them actually seems to me to show a line to the rail edge across from "2" and not at the diamond on the rail
p.s.
there is no way with running english you can get from "2" on the short rail
hit the long rail
and get to the corner
jmho
icbw

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do we use running English for most multiple rails kick shots?

In order for the ball to bounce off the rail and not loose energy (more than it looses in the bounce itself) you need the contact side of the ball to be spinning at the same rate as the velocity the ball has "down the rail" This corresponds to "running english" most of the time.

If the ball has less spin, the ball looses a lot of energy in the contact and bounces at a wider angle off the rail than it went in towards the rail.

If the ball has more spin, the ball converts spin energy to velocity english, and bounces longer off the rail than it went in....

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
In order for the ball to bounce off the rail and not loose energy (more than it looses in the bounce itself) you need the contact side of the ball to be spinning at the same rate as the velocity the ball has "down the rail"
There's an app for that. Well, a technique...

Visualize the point on the CB that's directly opposite the point where it will hit the rail, and hit 2/5 of that distance from center for "natural running" english on the rail.

The same technique produces "gearing" english to prevent throw when cutting an OB.

pj
chgo

gearing2.jpg

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you mean by "The propulsion of the english always has the same effects on rail entry and exits"?
Compare this to other comments on the subject. The running english zones the way the ball acts into and off the cushion.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's an app for that. Well, a technique...

Visualize the point on the CB that's directly opposite the point where it will hit the rail, and hit 2/5 of that distance from center for "natural running" english on the rail.

The same technique produces "gearing" english to prevent throw when cutting an OB.

pj
chgo

View attachment 690418
Thanks, I did not know that, but my stroke evolved to about that point anyway.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that's the case it seems like no English is better, since the path is more ideal
BUT, better for what? In pool, there will be obstacles in infinite orientations and you will be called upon to produce the line that fits. That should be a simple matter of sifting through your tool box IF they're all there.

Even in billiards with nothing in the way, you will often have to dodge kisses or come into the point at a specific angle. Get to work!

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
I kick by feel,don't need systems.
I like this outlook. And how Bob said by 3rd rail will pick up running. Once you play enough sometimes you want to put outside or something other than running on Cb Because you are actually aiming to hit the 2nd rail at a certain angle or there are balls in the way. Or whatever it is. Plus to make shape the natural angle might not be good. But I’d also say center is usually the best option to start practicing with on any shot.

Personally I have no “go to” English on kickshots.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Try maximum english. It's almost as simple as orienting a drafting triangle.
There are just too many variables. I actually kick better than most(at the hall I frequent). It’s just that kicking to make a ball is one thing. But you might be kicking a ball to safety or like i said without specifying choosing a different route for shape on next ball

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are just too many variables. I actually kick better than most. It’s just that kicking to make a ball is one thing. But you might be kicking a ball to safety or like i said without specifying choosing a different route for shape on next ball
Specifics aside, max spin is worth knowing as the exit direction is very predictable, especially off one cushion. No it's not the cure all banking tool but there's a lot of ground it will cover.