AzBilliards.com
Page 1 of 211 1 231151101 Last »

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Non Pool Related (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why Is The Food Industry Trying To Kill Us? - Top 10 Food Additives to Avoid (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=213485)

jimmyg 12-17-2010 10:25 AM

Why Is The Food Industry Trying To Kill Us? - Top 10 Food Additives to Avoid

Top 10 Food Additives to Avoid

Posted By Dr. Mercola | December 17 2010

1.Aspartame, also known as Nutrasweet and Equal, is believed to be carcinogenic and accounts for more reports of adverse reactions than all other foods and food additives combined.

The artificial sweetener Acesulfame-K has been linked to kidney tumors. All artificial sweeteners are bad news.

2.High Fructose Corn Syrup

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) increases your LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels and contributes to the development of diabetes.

3.Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)

MSG is used as a flavor enhancer. It is an excitotoxin, a substance that overexcites cells to the point of damage or death.

4.Trans Fat

Numerous studies show that trans fat increases LDL cholesterol levels and increases your risk of heart attacks, heart disease and strokes.

5.Common Food Dyes

Artificial colorings may contribute to behavioral problems in children and lead to a significant reduction in IQ.

6.Sodium Sulphite

This is a preservative used in processed foods. People who are sulfite sensitive can experience headaches, breathing problems, and rashes. In severe cases, sulfites can actually cause death.

7.Sodium Nitrate/Sodium Nitrite

This common preservative has been linked to various types of cancer.

8.BHA and BHT

Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydrozyttoluene (BHT) are preservatives that affect the neurological system of your brain, alter behavior and have the potential to cause cancer.

9.Sulphur Dioxide

Sulphur additives are toxic and in the U.S., they have been prohibited in raw fruit and vegetables. Adverse reactions include bronchial problems, low blood pressure, and anaphylactic shock.

10.Potassium Bromate

This additive is used to increase volume in some breads. It is known to cause cancer in animals, and even small amounts can create problems for humans.

Bigjohn 12-17-2010 10:31 AM

........and that's just what they're puttin in our food. What about our water?and what are they spraying us with from above???

wahcheck 12-17-2010 10:35 AM

the answer to this question and most other questions of this ilk is.........

............M-O-N-E-Y......................nothing personal, just money..........

dorabelle 12-17-2010 11:31 AM

I think you can add GMOs to that list too.

jimmyg 12-17-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigjohn (Post 2767003)
........and that's just what they're puttin in our food. What about our water?and what are they spraying us with from above???

Where are these guys? Aren't they supposed to look out for us? What do we pay them for?

1) FDA
2) Dept. Of Commerce
3) US Dept of Agriculture
4) Dept of Health & Human Services
5) Food & Safety Inspection Service
6) HACCP -
7) Centers for Disease Control
8) Dept of Food Safety (FOS)
9) World Health Organization
10) Environmental Protection Agency

J

bsmutz 12-17-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyg (Post 2767155)
Where are these guys? Aren't they supposed to look out for us? What do we pay them for?

1) FDA
2) Dept. Of Commerce
6) HACCP -

J

We don't pay near as much as the food and pharma/petro/chemical industries do, so who is it they really work for? It's pretty much impossible not to ingest some of the crap they put in food, but I try as diligently as I can to stay away from processed, non-organic foods and tap water.

the420trooper 12-17-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyg (Post 2766993)
Top 10 Food Additives to Avoid

Posted By Dr. Mercola | December 17 2010

1.Aspartame, also known as Nutrasweet and Equal, is believed to be carcinogenic and accounts for more reports of adverse reactions than all other foods and food additives combined.

The artificial sweetener Acesulfame-K has been linked to kidney tumors. All artificial sweeteners are bad news.

2.High Fructose Corn Syrup

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) increases your LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels and contributes to the development of diabetes.

3.Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)

MSG is used as a flavor enhancer. It is an excitotoxin, a substance that overexcites cells to the point of damage or death.

4.Trans Fat

Numerous studies show that trans fat increases LDL cholesterol levels and increases your risk of heart attacks, heart disease and strokes.

5.Common Food Dyes

Artificial colorings may contribute to behavioral problems in children and lead to a significant reduction in IQ.

6.Sodium Sulphite

This is a preservative used in processed foods. People who are sulfite sensitive can experience headaches, breathing problems, and rashes. In severe cases, sulfites can actually cause death.

7.Sodium Nitrate/Sodium Nitrite

This common preservative has been linked to various types of cancer.

8.BHA and BHT

Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydrozyttoluene (BHT) are preservatives that affect the neurological system of your brain, alter behavior and have the potential to cause cancer.

9.Sulphur Dioxide

Sulphur additives are toxic and in the U.S., they have been prohibited in raw fruit and vegetables. Adverse reactions include bronchial problems, low blood pressure, and anaphylactic shock.

10.Potassium Bromate

This additive is used to increase volume in some breads. It is known to cause cancer in animals, and even small amounts can create problems for humans.

This is one of the most important threads that has been posted all year. I've been considering posting something similar, but the combination of my laziness and the apathy of others makes it difficult to motivate myself. ;)

Something that worries me is the treatment of our feed animals, especially cows. They're shot up with steroids and growth hormones from birth to death, and they're fed nothing but corn their entire lives.

Note: Cows eat grass, not corn. Cows are able to digest grass more easily, but corn is cheaper to produce and transport. A diet consisting entirely of corn makes the cows much more likely to produce E-coli bacteria, which is fatal to humans, so be careful what you feed your kids.

If you feel like doing some independent research, start checking your food labels. Probably 80% of items in our supermarkets contain corn in one form or another. Ask yourself, why is the US government massively overproducing corn?

Because dollars are more important than lives.

Sheldon 12-17-2010 12:34 PM

Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-XrdsEgl_E
Part 1 of 10... I got the DVD, it's great.
Might want to check out "Food Inc." and "Food Matters" too.

jimmyg 12-17-2010 10:12 PM

Trust your doctor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldon (Post 2767204)
Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-XrdsEgl_E
Part 1 of 10... I got the DVD, it's great.
Might want to check out "Food Inc." and "Food Matters" too.

Video removed. Try this one: http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/hea...y.tracking.cnn

justnum 12-17-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

1) FDA
2) Dept. Of Commerce
6) HACCP -

J

We pay them to give out various contracts for printing, construction, sanitation and other low-paying jobs that are led by highly paid contract negotiators, management.

jimmyg 12-17-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justnum (Post 2767980)
We pay them to give out various contracts for printing, construction, sanitation and other low-paying jobs that are led by highly paid contract negotiators, management.

They are owned and controlled by the corporations that we pay them to regulate. :angry:

J

dorabelle 12-17-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

1) FDA
2) Dept. Of Commerce
6) HACCP -

J

These regulatory bodies have become infiltrated by corporations. This is what corporatism is. The FDA is run by Monsanto. Fascism.

Sheldon 12-18-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyg (Post 2767977)

Bummer. Weird that it went away between then and now, it's been up for quite a while too!
Oh well... it's called "Eating 3rd Edition" by Mike Anderson. Well worth a watch. You can pick up a DVD for less than $10 if you're interested.
The other two I mentioned are at netflix.

memikey 12-18-2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the420trooper (Post 2767199)
.... Ask yourself, why is the US government massively overproducing corn?

Because dollars are more important than lives.

I know diddly squat about this food additive subject but sometimes just get curious when reading other related things in posts.

To me massively "over-producing" any grown and harvested product implies an action that results in the availability of that product massively exceeding the demand which almost always result in financial loss to the grower of that product.

Probably I'm missing something that should be obvious to me, but I'm struggling to see how more dollars can be the end of result of the US Govt massively "over-producing" corn, other than perhaps more dollars for those who can buy corn cheaper, if cheaper corn is the result of "over-producing".

Is that what you were implying?

If yes, presumably it inludes the follow-on implied suggestion that individuals in the Govt are being paid backhanders by the buyers of corn for continuing to influence farmers crop growing strategies to increase corn production beyond the level of normal demands.

Would the list of parties paying these bribes also include all the foreign countries who benefit from being able to buy American corn on the international corn markets cheaper than they ought to be able to or are they just lucky incidental beneficiaries of someone else's bribery?

memikey 12-18-2010 05:52 AM

Quote:

Why Is The Food Industry Trying To Kill Us?
Is it because the more people that they manage to kill the greater number of people there are that will be alive and thus the more money they will make from their foods?

Mmmmm....errr....on reflection maybe not....there could just possibly be a flaw in that :rolleyes: :)