AzBilliards.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   how to remove this weight bolt? (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=511251)

evergruven 04-27-2020 04:00 PM

how to remove this weight bolt?
 
2 Attachment(s)
got a good wrench but sucker is in there tight..
I understand the bolt might be glued in, but I don't know if it is or not
obviously don't want to break the cue
appreciate any help!

RiverCity 04-27-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evergruven (Post 6636870)
got a good wrench but sucker is in there tight..
I understand the bolt might be glued in, but I don't know if it is or not
obviously don't want to break the cue
appreciate any help!

Have a soldering iron?

TATE 04-27-2020 05:28 PM

You might want to try some liquid wrench - looks rusted.

evergruven 04-27-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverCity (Post 6636886)
Have a soldering iron?

I had 'er, but I sold er!
...no, I don't:embarrassed2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TATE (Post 6636932)
You might want to try some liquid wrench - looks rusted.

tate, I don't have any liquid wrench but was thinking of trying wd40
might help? would it hurt the wood or anything to try?

RiverCity 04-27-2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evergruven (Post 6636966)
I had 'er, but I sold er!
...no, I don't:embarrassed2:



tate, I don't have any liquid wrench but was thinking of trying wd40
might help? would it hurt the wood or anything to try?

Dont put lubricant in there.

You need to heat up the bolt to break the glue bond.

If you dont mind ruining your allen wrench, you can put it in a vise vertically, heat it with a torch, then set the cue down on it. The residual heat will do the job.

Now, be careful if you do it. Keep your hand on the butt sleeve, and if its getting just warm, that should be close. Dont let it feel hot to the touch, then you are damaging the cue and have gone too far.

Once the butt starts feeling warm, twist the cue on the allen wrench. It will start turning once its warm enough.

TATE 04-27-2020 11:13 PM

Chuck's probably right. I'm not sure solvent would loosen it anyway.

It takes some pressure to loosen a weight bolt, but if it is glued, the only way to do it is to heat it up like Chuck suggests. I've seen people break the butt sleeve or bolt head off trying to crank a glued bolt. Many weight bolts are not glued but if it won't budge, it probably is.

ideologist 04-28-2020 12:38 AM

That might be an assembly bolt, not a weight bolt. What kind of cue is it?

evergruven 04-28-2020 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverCity (Post 6636968)
Dont put lubricant in there.

You need to heat up the bolt to break the glue bond.

If you dont mind ruining your allen wrench, you can put it in a vise vertically, heat it with a torch, then set the cue down on it. The residual heat will do the job.

Now, be careful if you do it. Keep your hand on the butt sleeve, and if its getting just warm, that should be close. Dont let it feel hot to the touch, then you are damaging the cue and have gone too far.

Once the butt starts feeling warm, twist the cue on the allen wrench. It will start turning once its warm enough.

thanks chuck..man I got tools for fools..my foot=vise, lighter=torch
if I don't set myself on fire, I'll let you know how it goes:thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ideologist (Post 6637092)
That might be an assembly bolt, not a weight bolt. What kind of cue is it?

56" billiards cue

ideologist 04-28-2020 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evergruven (Post 6637095)
thanks chuck..man I got tools for fools..my foot=vise, lighter=torch
if I don't set myself on fire, I'll let you know how it goes:thumbup:



56" billiards cue

I meant the brand, but alright - don't assume that is a weight bolt until you do your homework. If the buttsleeve breaks off, congratulations

RiverCity 04-28-2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ideologist (Post 6637101)
I meant the brand, but alright - don't assume that is a weight bolt until you do your homework. If the buttsleeve breaks off, congratulations

Thats what titebond 3 is for..... :duck:

ideologist 04-28-2020 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverCity (Post 6637102)
Thats what titebond 3 is for..... :duck:

Duct tape is even easier than that

evergruven 04-28-2020 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ideologist (Post 6637101)
I meant the brand, but alright - don't assume that is a weight bolt until you do your homework. If the buttsleeve breaks off, congratulations

fuel is the brand..and I ain't tryna break nothin ('cept a good rack)
if you have advice to share, spill it
ps if it helps, another good azb fellow suggested that because the balance point is 16" from the butt end
a weight bolt it be

ideologist 04-28-2020 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evergruven (Post 6637108)
fuel is the brand..and I ain't tryna break nothin ('cept a good rack)
if you have advice to share, spill it
ps if it helps, another good azb fellow suggested that because the balance point is 16" from the butt end
a weight bolt it be

I spilled my good advice, do your homework. I don't know how a Fuel cue is constructed, maybe that information is on the internet somewhere. If that is a threaded assembly rod, you might bring the buttsleeve off with it.

evergruven 04-28-2020 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ideologist (Post 6637110)
I spilled my good advice, do your homework. I don't know how a Fuel cue is constructed, maybe that information is on the internet somewhere. If that is a threaded assembly rod, you might bring the buttsleeve off with it.

I do appreciate it
I've got some feelers out to the folks I bought it from
it's just a cheap billiards cue but I'm happy not to break it
much obliged

jimmyco 04-28-2020 04:15 AM

I'm trying to figure out where the guy who don't own a soldering iron keeps his workbench, vice and torch?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:21 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.