AzBilliards.com
Page 11 of 97 « First 91011 12132161 Last »

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mr 600 (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=497366)

Bob Jewett 08-16-2019 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt109 (Post 6458322)
... Now that Juan Valdez has gone to his reward....I’m looking for a new stake horse

Attachment 527250

I believe that is actually a burro, which is not a horse and not exactly a donkey. They can stand a lot of weight.

jimmyg 08-16-2019 07:36 AM

While John certainly accomplished an amazing feat, one that every serious pool player can appreciate and admire, unfortunately it was done in an era quite different than the time when Willie ran his 526. Willie was a household name in his time and pool was enjoying an amazing national boom, one likely never to be repeated. He made guest appearances on TV, was in the box office hit, The Hustler", and was constantly written up in the major newspapers and sports magazines, he was actually a "star". Times are different and probably no one other than a real pool player knows John's name.

Only a diehard straight pool player, of which there aren't many, would enjoy and appreciate watching his complete run, let alone all of his failed attempts.

While most of us wish him the best, both personally and professionally, in all honesty his structured accomplishment, while profoundly astounding, to many, still pales that of Willie's.

alphadog 08-16-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jewett (Post 6458324)
The BCA was busy with the preparations and aftermath of the annual BCA Expo. The office has two people. I guess you could call that a bureaucracy.

Bob you could pair this woih your Juan Valdez burro post and illustrate another point.:grin:

alstl 08-16-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jewett (Post 6457945)
The BCA statement has been released:

Billiard Congress of America
303-243-5070
shane@bca-pool.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

John Schmidt Breaks Willie Mosconi's 65-Year-Old 14.1 High Run Record

Superior, Colo., August, 15, 2019 - The Billiard Congress of America would like to formally congratulate John Schmidt on his 14.1 exhibition high run of 626 balls, breaking Willie Mosconi's 65-year-old record of 526 balls.

On March 19, 1954 William J. Mosconi, playing in the East High Billiard Club in Springfield, Ohio, ran 526 balls in an exhibition match against Earl "Jake" Bruney. Mosconi's run lasted approximately 4.5 hours and was played on an oversized 4' x 8' Brunswick Exposition Table.

On May 27, 2019 John Schmidt, playing in the Easy Street Billiards Pool Hall in Monterey, California, ran 626 balls. Schmidt's run, recorded on video, lasted just over 4 hours and was played on a 4.5' x 9' Rebco Pocket Billiard Table on Simonis 760 cloth with 5" corner pocket openings, and 5.5" side pocket openings. Schmidt used Super Aramith Pro Belgian billiard balls, a Sardo rack, a Predator P3 Red Butt along with a Predator Revo 12.4 mm carbon composite shaft that weighed 19.5 oz and had a length of 58".

Mosconi's record took place during a 14.1 exhibition match. Having defeated his opponent, Mosconi kept shooting until he reached 526. Schmidt's record took place during an intentional attempt to break Mosconi's record. After viewing the unedited video, the Billiard Congress of America is proud to acknowledge John Schmidt's 626 run as the new 14.1 exhibition high run record.

About Billiard Congress of America
Founded in 1948, the Billiard Congress of America is a non-profit trade organization dedicated to growing a united, prosperous and highly regarded billiard industry through Billiard Congress of America leadership. The Billiard Congress of America seeks to enhance the success of its members and promote the game of billiards though educational, marketing and promotional efforts, annual industry trade shows and other programs designed to encourage billiards as a lifestyle and make pool everybody's game. For more information, visit bca-pool.com or call 303.243.5070.

Simonis 760. Probably a good way to get a better spread on the break. I wonder how fast 760 wears out compared to 860.

Balls 08-16-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trob (Post 6458197)
Every post I read of yours is absolutely insane.. what sport doesn’t shoe’s or food or drink that they sell as it will make you better lol I would give you a red but I can’t . It’s been to soon since your last one.

That mouth of yours just keeps taking... Your so pathetic your embarrassing pool.

Maybe you should go back to your room and cry about it privately. Or we can keep laughing at you here.

Oh well, I guess this is the best hustle you folks can muster. Pretty Pathetic...

CreeDo 08-16-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alstl (Post 6458393)
Simonis 760. Probably a good way to get a better spread on the break. I wonder how fast 760 wears out compared to 860.

I grew up on 760 at my local room, not realizing how unusual that was until later in life.
As it wears out, it seems to get thinner and thinner, and faster and faster.

Positively Ralf 08-16-2019 11:01 AM

If all he was waiting for was acknowledgement from the BCA, why not use another governing body? From what I've read on this site and many others, the BCA doesn't even care much for the industry anymore. Why not contact the ACS or other governing bodies to expedite the request?

But congrats to JS. He got that recognition even though it cost him in the end at monetizing that video for as much as he could.

xradarx 08-16-2019 11:50 AM

BCA certification lacking information

There was no mention of the so-called unbiased eight witnesses to this feat. Were they introduced prior to the start of the run? Is there evidence of their presence, on the same film, during the entire 4 hour 7 minute run? Were they employees of the billiard parlor. The billiard parlor didn't open for customers until the run was already three hours in progress. We still only have two peoples' hearsay evidence of this 626 ball run. They were both equally biased in pursuit of this record. One being JS and the other being the rack man/backer Just wondering, maybe it will all come out in the wash!

AtLarge 08-16-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xradarx (Post 6458519)
There was no mention of the so-called unbiased eight witnesses to this feat. Were they introduced prior to the start of the run? Is there evidence of their presence, on the same film, during the entire 4 hour 7 minute run? Were they employees of the billiard parlor. The billiard parlor didn't open for customers until the run was already three hours in progress. We still only have two peoples' hearsay evidence of this 626 ball run. They were both equally biased in pursuit of this record. One being JS and the other being the rack man/backer Just wondering, maybe it will all come out in the wash!

The August issue of Billiards Digest contains a small picture of the certification, signed by 8 people. Some of the names are hard to read, so I may not have spelled them correctly. James Forest is the room owner.

Fred Lenz
David Cota
Douglas Desmond
Felicity Schmidt
Ian Locklar
Josiah Sinkler
James Forest
Cecelia Desmond

Bob Jewett 08-16-2019 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtLarge (Post 6458613)
The August issue of Billiards Digest contains a small picture of the certification, signed by 8 people. Some of the names are hard to read, so I may not have spelled them correctly. James Forest is the room owner.

Fred Lenz
David Lota
Douglas Desmond
Felicity Schmidt
Ian Locklar
Josiah Sinklar
James Forest
Cecelia Desmond

Although I would prefer that everyone check that issue of BD for personal reasons :wink:, here is a clearer image:

Attachment 527292

DynoDan 08-16-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreeDo (Post 6458429)
I grew up on 760 at my local room, not realizing how unusual that was until later in life.
As it wears out, it seems to get thinner and thinner, and faster and faster.

In my experience, it gets slower as dirt/chalk accumulates, and then faster as it wears. Of course, nothing effects speed as much as humidity. Check out the record attempt videos of John playing on 760 at that room near the ocean, then watch tournament videos played on new 860 during the winter, in forced hot-air heated northern rooms.

BTW: I wonder if Willie’s playing style was influenced by the cloth/equipment that was most common back in the 40s/50s? Slow-rolling shots on fast cloth is most likely a modern development (?), and can influence your stroke & pattern choices.

alstl 08-16-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xradarx (Post 6458519)

It is recorded on video.

CreeDo 08-16-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DynoDan (Post 6458645)
In my experience, it gets slower as dirt/chalk accumulates, and then faster as it wears. Of course, nothing affects speed as much as humidity. Check out the record attempt videos of John playing on 760 at that room near the ocean, then watch tournament videos played on new 860 during the winter, in forced hot-air heated northern rooms.

BTW: I wonder if Willie’s playing style was influenced by the cloth/equipment that was most common back in the 40s/50s? Slow-rolling shots on fast cloth is most likely a modern development (?), and can influence your stroke & pattern choices.

Yeah that's true. I remember for a week or two after it was new, it was crazy fast. Then it broke in and got slower. Then it gradually sped up.

It wasn't just fast, it was so slidey, you'd think you could e.g. do a draw route like this, but instead the cue ball slid sideways much more than you expected. --> https://pad.chalkysticks.com/45207.png

I'm kind of torn whether fast cloth makes 14.1 generally easier or not.

The balls spread better, but I think slow cloth gives more room for speed control errors
and makes it easier to hold balls, while fast slidey cloth is very touchy and finicky,
it's so easy to blow a position window or do that couple of extra turns that force you
to switch to "plan B" because you didn't fall on that problem ball you really wanted to pick off.

DynoDan 08-16-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreeDo (Post 6458693)
Yeah that's true. I remember for a week or two after it was new, it was crazy fast. Then it broke in and got slower. Then it gradually sped up.

It wasn't just fast, it was so slidey, you'd think you could e.g. do a draw route like this, but instead the cue ball slid sideways much more than you expected. --> https://pad.chalkysticks.com/45207.png

I'm kind of torn whether fast cloth makes 14.1 generally easier or not.

The balls spread better, but I think slow cloth gives more room for speed control errors
and makes it easier to hold balls, while fast slidey cloth is very touchy and finicky,
it's so easy to blow a position window or do that couple of extra turns that force you
to switch to "plan B" because you didn't fall on that problem ball you really wanted to pick off.

Sort of makes you wish you had room for two tables. One (760) for summer play, and one (860HR) for winter. I can’t decide between CB control, or pack spread. I sometimes play on a GC covered with tightly-stretched carom cloth. If I played on damp 860 the day before, whitey has a tendency to get away and find a pocket.
P.S. Another thing not discussed is whether/how climate change effects tightness of the cloth (and thus speed), and to what degree stretching/installation might involve that? Some especially slow tables covered with 860HR (top rated pro mechanic instal) I played on late spring, seemed to bunch slightly when I placed my bridge hand.

DynoDan 08-16-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyg (Post 6458342)
While John certainly accomplished an amazing feat, one that every serious pool player can appreciate and admire, unfortunately it was done in an era quite different than the time when Willie ran his 526. Willie was a household name in his time and pool was enjoying an amazing national boom, one likely never to be repeated. He made guest appearances on TV, was in the box office hit, The Hustler", and was constantly written up in the major newspapers and sports magazines, he was actually a "star". Times are different and probably no one other than a real pool player knows John's name.

Only a diehard straight pool player, of which there aren't many, would enjoy and appreciate watching his complete run, let alone all of his failed attempts.

While most of us wish him the best, both personally and professionally, in all honesty his structured accomplishment, while profoundly astounding, to many, still pales that of Willie's.

I think one important difference is that Willie’s record run wasn’t necessarily intentional. Just another day at work for him, and fate just happened. I think of John’s record much like a guy who climbs the ‘impossible’ face of Mt. Everest without oxygen. Any tourist who can hold on to the guide rope and carry a tank can ‘summit’ now, so where is the glory? Regardless of whether pool ever becomes popular again, if there is interest in the ‘annals of personal accomplishment’ (and since I suspect no one else is likely to beat his record anytime soon), his video may have a broader connotation to future generations.