AzBilliards.com
Page 1 of 10 1 23 Last »

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Will this shutdown finish off most pool halls in the US? (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=509600)

9 Ball Fan 03-26-2020 10:15 AM

Will this shutdown finish off most pool halls in the US?

I've gotta believe it will.

lakeman77 03-26-2020 10:17 AM

The current owners might throw in the towel, but somebody will take over, be it months or next year.

CocoboloCowboy 03-26-2020 10:26 AM

IMHO owning a Pool Roomin 2020 is tought way to make a buck, and run it in the black. How many roon ov=Winer do you personally know who are making money, not just surviving.

The list is long in Phoenix Arizona Area of all the Pool Bars, Pool Rooms that have closed in the last 10 years. Bottom line is their are less then 10 years ago, not more.

JMHO

Texas Carom Club 03-26-2020 10:28 AM

more will open later if so
its not the end of pool

TATE 03-26-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9 Ball Fan (Post 6610831)
I've gotta believe it will.

It's survival of the fittest. If you sit around waiting to get destroyed, you will be.

If the owner has resources, they will survive. Here's what I would do:

I would make sure I have enough credit to get me though to better times.

I would tell the landlord I'm on rent holiday until reopening. Period.

I would use this time to make repairs, remodel, updates, rethink my game plan, rework my menu's and business plan.

I would buy a couple of ball washer's and sanitize the tables and equipment when reopened and I would advertise that fact.

I would contact the SBA and see what loans and grants might be available.

I would pay very careful attention to the fiscal reliefs being provided small businesses though the government packages.

alstl 03-26-2020 10:46 AM

I suspect the ones operating on a lease will get a break on the lease until they can reopen.

trinacria 03-26-2020 11:00 AM

its the slumlords type property owners who wont give them a chance during this time, they have no interst in covid19 or what it does to business and money, and they rather have it closed than let someone not pay even when closed by government rules. I knew this woman in manhattan, she kept an apartment closed in the upper east side for 3 years than give it less than 15K a month in rent. so she forwent couple hundred K in rent money income. who knows how they think. lets hope its not terrible

ideologist 03-26-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinacria (Post 6610881)
its the slumlords type property owners who wont give them a chance during this time, they have no interst in covid19 or what it does to business and money, and they rather have it closed than let someone not pay even when closed by government rules. I knew this woman in manhattan, she kept an apartment closed in the upper east side for 3 years than give it less than 15K a month in rent. so she forwent couple hundred K in rent money income. who knows how they think. lets hope its not terrible

A lot of states have frozen rent, mortgage, eviction proceedings

philly 03-26-2020 11:10 AM

The one's that were already struggling could be done for.
The rooms that were thriving will survive if the owners were smart about holding on to some cash.
Either way all of the poolrooms are small business that will see some financial relief with the stimulus package about to be passed.
Another stimulus package will certainly follow.

kaznj 03-26-2020 11:14 AM

A question for Philly. Do think pat's better than Gino's?

Maniac 03-26-2020 11:15 AM

I would think that during the quarantine that home pool table sales would grow. IDK

Pool will not die off because as soon as the pandemic is over and all the bars reopen (with their 7-ft. Valleys), there will be a resurrection of pool interest leading to the need to establish pool halls once again. JMHO

Maniac

Maniac 03-26-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philly (Post 6610889)
The one's that were already struggling could be done for.
The rooms that were thriving will survive if the owners were smart about holding on to some cash.
Either way all of the poolrooms are small business that will see some financial relief with the stimulus package about to be passed.
Another stimulus package will certainly follow.

Philly Cheesesteaks in your avatar??? That's just wrong. :thumbup:

Now I've gotta go rustle me up some grub.

Maniac

Eric. 03-26-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TATE (Post 6610853)
I would contact the SBA and see what loans and grants might be available.

I would pay very careful attention to the fiscal reliefs being provided small businesses though the government packages.

Amen. From what I heard, the 2 trillion stimulus package that is supposed to pass the house vote, today, has specific provisions for small businesses, specifically, through the Small Business Administration (SBA). Typically, the few/main avenues for small business support has been through the SBA, but the stimulus package is supposed to have additional provisions or revisions to how the SBA will support small businesses.

If I owned a poolhall, this would be the next place I contacted (after securing a line of credit thru your bank).

Eric

deanoc 03-26-2020 11:42 AM

i expect pool to take a huge dive
pool was hurting before and will be worse for the near future

the government spending will destroy the dollar and possibly the country

when has even 1 government program worked ?

they went to viet nam and can not explain why to this day
they destroyed education
the prisons do no rehabilitate

for every 3dollars collected for social security one dollar has been paid out in benefits and the program is bankrupt

now they think spending money they don't have will cure things

other than that i would say the economy will recover led by a strong advance from the pool sector

Hits 'em Hard 03-26-2020 11:52 AM

If everything goes smoothly, there shall be no evictions allowed during this downtime. And as such, most banks will be easing payments for properties affected by the mandated closures.

No the sky is not falling.