AzBilliards.com
Page 2 of 7 12 34 Last »

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Ask The Cuemaker (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Brite-Tone: new waterborne finish (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=471864)

Canadian cue 03-21-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The CrystaLac C (Post 6116172)
The Company been around for over 35 years. Brite Tone around 20 years. We have customers from Martin and Rockbridge Guitars to bowl turners and cabinet makes.
Glad to be in the group!!!https://www.facebook.com/beckerlabs/...type=3&theater

Could you explain how you would approach sealing and finishing a cue that has Wood, plastics and metal in it's construction.
Thanks

The CrystaLac C 03-21-2018 03:35 PM

Easy Peasy

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian cue (Post 6116219)
Could you explain how you would approach sealing and finishing a cue that has Wood, plastics and metal in it's construction.
Thanks

No problem. I would if using all 3 products ( Sanding Sealer, Grain Filler, Brite Tone) first apply sanding sealer and Clear wood Grain Filler to the wood portions of the project only. No need sealing or grain and pour filling on plastic and metal. Brite Tone works great on plastic, metal, glass, gems and stones. Couple of things to remember. If applying over oil or solvent based products be sure they are dry AND gassed off. If you can smell the product you have applied it is not ready for a top coat. Make sure there are no silicone or wax on the cue. Our product is a mechanical bond. They do not melt or burn into the underlying surface. Just apply thin even coats. No need to try to build a heavy coat. It is such high solids it will build on it's own. Minimum of 3 coats. I do 5 minimum on everything. Brite tone is on everything from bowls to dolls. LOL! Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/beckerlabs/
Attachment 487814
Attachment 487816

Canadian cue 03-21-2018 04:07 PM

What is your recommended prep for metallic surfaces? What is the finest grit of paper you could use and still be confident in having good adhesion? Thanks again

The CrystaLac C 03-21-2018 04:23 PM

Prep

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian cue (Post 6116293)
What is your recommended prep for metallic surfaces? What is the finest grit of paper you could use and still be confident in having good adhesion? Thanks again

Just make sure they are free of any contamination. We have Brite Tone on glass, and static vinyl decals. As long as you are free of oil, silicone, or wax you should have no problems with adhesion. I always advise do a couple of sample boards to get the feel of the products.

Canadian cue 03-22-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The CrystaLac C (Post 6116305)
Just make sure they are free of any contamination. We have Brite Tone on glass, and static vinyl decals. As long as you are free of oil, silicone, or wax you should have no problems with adhesion. I always advise do a couple of sample boards to get the feel of the products.

Thank you for answering my questions

GBCues 03-22-2018 11:29 AM

I ordered the "test kit" yesterday and look forward to trying it out.

str8eight 03-22-2018 11:30 AM

I didn't even see that option lol. I bought 8oz of the three.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The CrystaLac C 03-22-2018 12:39 PM

kit

Quote:

Originally Posted by str8eight (Post 6116954)
I didn't even see that option lol. I bought 8oz of the three.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If you go to www.thecrystalacstore.com, click on the Brite Tone, then hit the drop down on size selection. The last option is test kit. I hope this helps. I have had a few other people ask about that. I will get with the guy and see if we can do something different. Sorry about that.

whammo57 03-22-2018 01:07 PM

put a big spot of this finish on a white piece of paper......... let it cure ....... then put the paper on the dash of your car with the windows rolled up .......... let it sit there for a few days in the sun............... all the water based finishes I have ever used turned yellow.............. try it and see..........

Solarez never yellows.......... if you can't put on a Solarez finish .......... you should pay some one else to finish your cues for you................

Kim

JoeyInCali 03-22-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whammo57 (Post 6117021)
put a big spot of this finish on a white piece of paper......... let it cure ....... then put the paper on the dash of your car with the windows rolled up .......... let it sit there for a few days in the sun............... all the water based finishes I have ever used turned yellow.............. try it and see..........

Solarez never yellows.......... if you can't put on a Solarez finish .......... you should pay some one else to finish your cues for you................

Kim

Oh boy.
Need some popcorn and soda for this. :D

Guerra Cues 03-22-2018 03:20 PM

Brite-Tone: new waterborne finish

Quote:

Kim

Kim,

I got 4 different batches of Solarez and they were all junk. Even the Solarez owner called me, gave me my money back and sent me a new batch that I wonít touch and itís sitting on my shelf.
The thread I started was about a non stinky, environmentally friendly alternative that wonít kill you.
I have finished over 10 Cues with Solarez and invested about $500 bucks, never again! I had to strip down 11 Cues I finished that had Solarez and the finish was contaminated.

Iím not stating that Brite-Tone is the holy grail of finishes but is pretty darn good. If it can take the beating of guitar players, if it does not yellow and if it is clear as water, Iím fine with that.
There has been people using the finish for 20 years, so I think Iím good with that test of times.

The CrystaLac C 03-22-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Kim

Good idea for a test. Not sure how good the paper will hold up to a waterborne product. Water usually turns paper to mush. How about putting 4 or 5 coats on glass and do the same test? I am not sure what waterborne products you have tried but none of CrystaLac products will yellow. The biggest problems I have seen with yellowing are from oil or oil notified and solvent based products. Everybody has their favorite and their own way of doing finishing. Give it a try if you want. I think it might change your mind.

JoeyInCali 03-22-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The CrystaLac C (Post 6117237)
Good idea for a test. Not sure how good the paper will hold up to a waterborne product. Water usually turns paper to mush. How about putting 4 or 5 coats on glass and do the same test? I am not sure what waterborne products you have tried but none of CrystaLac products will yellow. The biggest problems I have seen with yellowing are from oil or oil notified and solvent based products. Everybody has their favorite and their own way of doing finishing. Give it a try if you want. I think it might change your mind.

It has UV protection ?

BarenbruggeCues 03-22-2018 07:02 PM

Quote:

Kim

So you've done this test with the product being discussed here?

Just as I figured............

Solarez is your baby. Nobody here can compare. We should all just quit building cues and look for something else to do. Why do I torture myself not learning the Kim way of solarez? :cool:
Oh ...because I have and it's no good.
Say what you want but for you to try and convince us that you stand 2 feet away from using the solarez product and can't smell it tells me either your sinuses are shot or you're just flat out lying.
Which is it?

qbilder 03-23-2018 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarenbruggeCues (Post 6117333)
So you've done this test with the product being discussed here?

Just as I figured............

Solarez is your baby. Nobody here can compare. We should all just quit building cues and look for something else to do. Why do I torture myself not learning the Kim way of solarez? :cool:
Oh ...because I have and it's no good.
Say what you want but for you to try and convince us that you stand 2 feet away from using the solarez product and can't smell it tells me either your sinuses are shot or you're just flat out lying.
Which is it?

What he ^ said. It's a good idea to give an honest effort to something before you begin shooting it down. I tried Solarez & found much to be desired, not to mention the fumes that permeate everything. Of all the finishes I have tried on cues, it ranked just above aerosol can clear. If you don't want to try the finish being touted here, don't. But don't immediately begin comparing it to yours, either, if you haven't actually used both.