AzBilliards.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How do you repair a mushroomed tip? (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=370467)

Delaware Lar 07-25-2014 01:32 PM

How do you repair a mushroomed tip?
 
Besides driving 40 miles to the cue repair man. I've had limited success with the 5 in 1 tool. There must be a better way.

HawaiianEye 07-25-2014 01:54 PM

With fewer than 3 or 4 exceptions, I've always repaired or replaced my tips by hand using the most basic of tools.

- Glue
- Tip
- Fingers
- Sand paper of a couple different grades (coarse, fine, etc.)
- A SHARP razor blade

I use an emery board to keep my tips in shape from time to time...BEFORE they mushroom out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_file

Aloha.

HelloBaby- 07-25-2014 01:54 PM

Just cut it down with a sharp knife :)

vincentwu817 07-25-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HelloBaby- (Post 4822365)
Just cut it down with a sharp knife :)

This. And sand to smooth it out as desired. Like one of the posters above I have done most of the tip work using basic cue tools, sandpaper and a razor blade.

Celophanewrap 07-25-2014 02:48 PM

I'd drive the 40 miles, or you might be driving 40 miles to purchase a new shaft.

or, I had pretty good success with a Porper Big Shaver. I was tipping everything in sight, pretty much anything that would fit in there and everyone's pool cue, house cues at the bars we played at, the bartenders pencil...
The Big shaver was reasonably priced and seemed to work out real well

Kim Bye 07-25-2014 02:59 PM

The porper mushroom grazer works fine.

Delaware Lar 07-25-2014 03:33 PM

Anybody else tried Joe Porper's Pool Mushroom Grazer Cue Tip Tool Trimmer? I herd that it can gouge the tip. I'd rather drive the 40 miles than use a razor blade.

mark187 07-25-2014 03:43 PM

I use the porper. It works okay, but I can see how a tip could get gauged. The best way to use it is to take off a very little bit at a time.

I've also used the ultimate tip tool. It's got a couple of bits of abrasive on the outside of the prongs. You need to be careful not to scratch your ferrule, but unless you're quite cack-handed you should be okay. The tool also burnishes the edge of the tip, as well as shaping and scuffing.

To get rid of mushrooms, I take the majority off with the porper, then fine tune and burnish with the tip tool.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

hang-the-9 07-25-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaware Lar (Post 4822349)
Besides driving 40 miles to the cue repair man. I've had limited success with the 5 in 1 tool. There must be a better way.

Buy a Ki-Tech tip, drive 40 miles, never drive there again till tip wears out.

Yes it's a plug :) but I'm super impressed with those tips. Had a Soft for months, never had to touch it once.

nobcitypool 07-25-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hang-the-9 (Post 4822528)
Buy a Ki-Tech tip, drive 40 miles, never drive there again till tip wears out.

Yes it's a plug :) but I'm super impressed with those tips. Had a Soft for months, never had to touch it once.

This. Same experience.

MitchAlsup 07-25-2014 06:37 PM

Honestly, I use a coarse nail file (6 for $2.00).

Balabushka_Man 07-25-2014 06:51 PM

How I do it...

I take the mushroomed tip off & clean the area
with any simple tools that are available around...

I purchase a new tip I like from the net.
When received I glue the tip back on.
I hold the tip I glued tight with my finger.
I watch the Color Of Money waiting to dry.
I then wash my finger that has a tip dent.
When dry I file, sand to desired shape.
I then black the tip outside with sharpie.
I then don't break or jump with my player.

Actually ya may wanna get one of these
and make money at it locally...

http://youtu.be/oL1OLkClBAE

sixpack 07-25-2014 07:06 PM

Circumcision.

ETA: Oh wait, this isn't NPR. Never mind...

stutz 07-25-2014 07:11 PM

with this

http://last4ever.net/Instructional_Videos.html


last video

captainjko 07-25-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaware Lar (Post 4822349)
Besides driving 40 miles to the cue repair man. I've had limited success with the 5 in 1 tool. There must be a better way.

This is the best little tool to keep in case for such need...
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9c0bf95a.jpg

pdcue 07-25-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaware Lar (Post 4822480)
Anybody else tried Joe Porper's Pool Mushroom Grazer Cue Tip Tool Trimmer? I herd that it can gouge the tip. I'd rather drive the 40 miles than use a razor blade.

1. drive one mile and buy a box cutter - if you can't trim a mushroom with a single
edged razor blade in a box cutter, you have no chance of using any of the above devices
properly.

2. after you have mastered tip trimming, learn how to chalk one and change your avatar.

Dale(always trying to help)

Delaware Lar 07-25-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixpack (Post 4822851)
Circumcision.

I called the neighborhood Mohel. He said he'll come and take a look.

Delaware Lar 07-25-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdcue (Post 4822901)
1. drive one mile and buy a box cutter - if you can't trim a mushroom with a single
edged razor blade in a box cutter, you have no chance of using any of the above devices
properly.

2. after you have mastered tip trimming, learn how to chalk one and change your avatar.

Dale(always trying to help)

Dale, Thanks for your constructive input to this thread. I've tried trimming tips with a single edge razor blade. I could never get it perfect.

Is there something wrong with my avatar? Chalking the cue is a whole different subject. The avatar looks like a legitimate one-handed chalking method to me.

Houstoer 07-25-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobcitypool (Post 4822566)
This. Same experience.

add me to this list. get a ki-tech and you'll never look back...

bbb 07-26-2014 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainjko (Post 4822881)
This is the best little tool to keep in case for such need...
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9c0bf95a.jpg

this works very well
you can buy them from andyho1984
they are priced fair as i remember but shipping was alot since they are shipped from the far east as i best recall...icbw

pdcue 07-26-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaware Lar (Post 4823002)
Dale, Thanks for your constructive input to this thread. I've tried trimming tips with a single edge razor blade. I could never get it perfect.

Is there something wrong with my avatar? Chalking the cue is a whole different subject. The avatar looks like a legitimate one-handed chalking method to me.

But seriously, why do you never get it perfect? If holding/gripping/controlling the
razor blade is your problem, the box cutter frame solves that. In my own case, the
exposed sharp edge is a concern - fear of slicing open a finger is often with me. Box
cutter overcomes that one also.

Single edge blades are about 10x as sharp as utility blades, but you do attack the tip
at a slight angle - if that is a problem you could start the trim at the edge of the ferrule
with a utility knife, then finish up with a razor blade. The key idea is you must whittle
away a little bit at a time when doing a tip by hand and the final step is sanding very
carefully.

One hand...

After several decades around the game in most all of its aspects - I can say without
reservation, one hand chalking is good for one thing, and one thing only, transferring
vast amounts of chalk dust onto your hand, shaft, table bed, clothing, car seats,
carpets, and lawn.

Dale

StraightPoolIU 07-26-2014 09:38 AM

I'm surprised that so many of you have trouble with tips mushrooming. I've played pool since I was 11 and I don't think I've had it happen before. Maybe because I've never played with particularly soft tips. I just usually shape and burnish once in a while to keep it in shape. On a related note I've been looking at the Willard tip machine for replacing tips. I know it's expensive but might be cool to do tips for people. Does anyone know if it works with shafts under 12 mm though?

x3dnd3x 07-26-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbb (Post 4823276)
this works very well
you can buy them from andyho1984
they are priced fair as i remember but shipping was alot since they are shipped from the far east as i best recall...icbw

Because he's based in Asia. Its the same when he buys stuffs from US. Shipping is always a b!tch.

Balabushka_Man 07-26-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightPoolIU (Post 4823560)
I'm surprised that so many of you have trouble with tips mushrooming. I've played pool since I was 11 and I don't think I've had it happen before. Maybe because I've never played with particularly soft tips. I just usually shape and burnish once in a while to keep it in shape. On a related note I've been looking at the Willard tip machine for replacing tips. I know it's expensive but might be cool to do tips for people. Does anyone know if it works with shafts under 12 mm though?

Yes all sizes...
Here's a link...

http://www.muellers.com/Willard-Tipp...older,522.html

The Kiss 07-26-2014 10:58 AM

Get a laminated tip it will never shroom again.

dgem 07-26-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainjko (Post 4822881)
This is the best little tool to keep in case for such need...
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9c0bf95a.jpg

I second this. Very efficient.

Delaware Lar 08-01-2014 04:51 PM

I had lathe-like quality using a combination of the Pocket Lathe and the Joe Porper's Pool Mushroom Grazer Cue Tip Tool Trimmer.

With my one-handed chalking technique I only do a few swipes across the tip. My buddy does a one-handed chalk over the table for two minutes while he's trying to figure out the next shot.

I still like my avatar... so there.

pvc lou 08-01-2014 06:27 PM

I use one of those yellow carpenter-pencil-sharpeners to trim the walls of my tip. They only cost a few bucks and they work very well. You can trim the walls parallel to the shaft, but I give my tip walls a small angle (like a pencil tip)...that way the tip walls open to parallel as the tip gets broken in

CocoboloCowboy 08-01-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim Bye (Post 4822434)
The porper mushroom grazer works fine.

Ditto.:thumbup:

PaulieB 08-01-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaware Lar (Post 4831151)
I had lathe-like quality using a combination of the Pocket Lathe and the Joe Porper's Pool Mushroom Grazer Cue Tip Tool Trimmer.

With my one-handed chalking technique I only do a few swipes across the tip. My buddy does a one-handed chalk over the table for two minutes while he's trying to figure out the next shot.

I still like my avatar... so there.

Glad you figured out your mushrooming problem. Honestly, patience is the only thing you need to fix a mushrooming tip. You can handle it with sandpaper or a nail file. :)

One handed chalking is great, all that matters is that you look at the tip and make sure it is covered in chalk. I honestly can't imagine a "two handed" chalking technique. :) I would have to try really hard to do that!

Delaware Lar 08-03-2014 12:30 PM

I took my cue to Triple Nines in Laurel, MD last. I had several miss cues. I showed my tip to a cue maker who was there. He noticed right away that I had a layered tip. He said that layered should be shaped on a lathe at at least 35rmp. And that trying to sand the shape on a layered tip was hard to do, and the tip was vulnerable to miss cue.

I tried scuffing the tip and I didn't miscue after that.

Anybody else have experience in shaping a layered tip?

captainjko 08-03-2014 01:46 PM

I do all of mine by hand. Most times that I miss cue, is because I didn't stay down on the shot and make a smooth stroke

hang-the-9 08-03-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kiss (Post 4823641)
Get a laminated tip it will never shroom again.

Depends on the brand and model. The several Kamui Soft Black tips I used have all had a bit of a mushroom on them and needed a bit of upkeep. I had an old school Moori back in the day and I think that one also mushroomed, the new Mooris did for sure and also played like doo doo. So far the only tip I have used that needed 0 touching to fix anything is the Ki-Tech one I got from Renfro.

hang-the-9 08-03-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaware Lar (Post 4833103)
I took my cue to Triple Nines in Laurel, MD last. I had several miss cues. I showed my tip to a cue maker who was there. He noticed right away that I had a layered tip. He said that layered should be shaped on a lathe at at least 35rmp. And that trying to sand the shape on a layered tip was hard to do, and the tip was vulnerable to miss cue.

I tried scuffing the tip and I didn't miscue after that.

Anybody else have experience in shaping a layered tip?

Installing a layered tip is often different than a regular one, and the makers always provide instructions, the authorized resellers and installers should know exactly what tricks certain tips need. I had a cue maker install a Kamui Black for me once, that fell apart, he got another one from Kamui along with some notes and it never happened again. The Ki-Tech tip also had some special instruction although it's a single layer but treated, the cue maker followed those and that tip has been perfect ever since.

Delaware Lar 08-04-2014 01:51 PM

The Pocket Lathe put scratches and dings on my shaft. I took my Joss cue to Dan Janes. He made all the repairs at no charge. He suggested I give the Pocket Lathe to someone I don't like.

andyho1984 12-27-2014 12:27 PM

Yes. You can get this sharpener from me. Np.

andyho1984 12-27-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainjko (Post 4822881)
This is the best little tool to keep in case for such need...
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9c0bf95a.jpg

This tool. Get from me. :)

mortuarymike-nv 12-27-2014 01:49 PM

tip
 
Your just not dating the right woman.

Elk masters stain her teeth.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...02010/a865.jpg

ROB.M 12-27-2014 02:02 PM

Post
 
Oh' boy..... Not this again....




Rob.M

Scaramouche 12-27-2014 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How do you repair a mushroomed tip?

Assumes that a mushroomed tip is a defect and harms your shooting.
Unwarranted assumption.
Illogical conclusion.

Peter Ebdon won the 2006 World Snooker Championship.
Here is a photo of his tip. :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.