AzBilliards.com
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Non Pool Related (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Attempted Break In. (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=449398)

Blue Hog ridr 03-17-2017 12:14 AM

Attempted Break In.

So, last night, Wed, I get home from Pool League. I don't drink a lot when out, so brought home a small pizza and was going to have a couple of beer and play on the computer.

I have a Mora Bush Knife, made with Carbon Steel. I had given it a hot vinegar bath once, and was going to do another last night. The vinegar puts a nice black Patina on the carbon, and will help it resist rust a bit better.

I'm standing in the kitchen, and all of a sudden, Crash, Bang, Boom. my back storm door gets ripped open. It has a cheap lock on it, but, still it is difficult to open when you are on the outside trying to open it.

On the inside aluminum door, I have a half moon crest shaped window with 6 segments in it. One has to be tall, or taller than I am, in order to see thru it, unless you are standing on your toes looking out. I see this face staring in at me.

Man, at 59, and pretty much screwed up back and right leg isn't good for much, I admit, I am not as strong as I used to be.

My Blood, actually ran Cold.

Now, I had the razor sharp Mora in hand, and I have a much longer Mora Path Finder, in a Bowie style within reach by my desk.

What if I had have opened the door. There were no knocks. And, this guy would have pushed his way in, and friends would have been hiding around the corner of my house.

I would have been in some serious trouble.

After last night, I am seriously thinking about buying a hand gun, whereas, other than target shooting, I had no real use for one.

I am not a freaker by any means, and have been in a couple of past situations that necessary emotions kicked in and I handled myself quite well, but I don't mind telling you guys, as I mentioned, my blood ran cold and I was scared. First time in a very long time, I was actually scared for my situation.

I did call the Police, they came over in approx 15 minutes, so much for 911. I may have been seriously injured by then. They basically told me to take a picture with my phone if he returns and Poo Pooed it off as they left.

Well, FK me, easy to do when you get to legally carry a Glock on your hip.

A few years ago, some seniors down the block had the same happen to them. Both were killed. I would prefer that doesn't happen to me.

Bad thing was, I had my 270 apart, refinishing the stock, but had shells for it. The 7mm, no shells.

cuejoey 03-17-2017 12:37 AM

Shit can happen anywhere,anytime and to anyone...Be prepared Hog get the handgun...Same day u get it shoot it to make sure the ammo u got works in it.
The very best to u my friend.

Blue Hog ridr 03-17-2017 12:53 AM

Probably once in a long time thing Joey. But now, as I said, seriously thinking about it.

I don't ever want that feeling to come back again. That isn't a good one. Other than the knives, a feeling of Total Helplessness.

I'm not a whimp by any means, but man, that was a strange happening. And, should have things actually gone sideways on me, and the door did come in, I would have had only a very short time to react.

And that would have meant, the possibility of a loaded firearm within a short distance of me getting. Access the situation if allowed, or shoot first and ask questions later, so to speak. I will deal with the authorities later, after the ambulance takes the person away.

fan-tum 03-17-2017 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Hog ridr (Post 5837400)
So, last night, Wed, I get home from Pool League. I don't drink a lot when out, so brought home a small pizza and was going to have a couple of beer and play on the computer.

I have a Mora Bush Knife, made with Carbon Steel. I had given it a hot vinegar bath once, and was going to do another last night. The vinegar puts a nice black Patina on the carbon, and will help it resist rust a bit better.

I'm standing in the kitchen, and all of a sudden, Crash, Bang, Boom. my back storm door gets ripped open. It has a cheap lock on it, but, still it is difficult to open when you are on the outside trying to open it.

On the inside aluminum door, I have a half moon crest shaped window with 6 segments in it. One has to be tall, or taller than I am, in order to see thru it, unless you are standing on your toes looking out. I see this face staring in at me.

Man, at 59, and pretty much screwed up back and right leg isn't good for much, I admit, I am not as strong as I used to be.

My Blood, actually ran Cold.

Now, I had the razor sharp Mora in hand, and I have a much longer Mora Path Finder, in a Bowie style within reach by my desk.

What if I had have opened the door. There were no knocks. And, this guy would have pushed his way in, and friends would have been hiding around the corner of my house.

I would have been in some serious trouble.

After last night, I am seriously thinking about buying a hand gun, whereas, other than target shooting, I had no real use for one.

I am not a freaker by any means, and have been in a couple of past situations that necessary emotions kicked in and I handled myself quite well, but I don't mind telling you guys, as I mentioned, my blood ran cold and I was scared. First time in a very long time, I was actually scared for my situation.

I did call the Police, they came over in approx 15 minutes, so much for 911. I may have been seriously injured by then. They basically told me to take a picture with my phone if he returns and Poo Pooed it off as they left.

Well, FK me, easy to do when you get to legally carry a Glock on your hip.

A few years ago, some seniors down the block had the same happen to them. Both were killed. I would prefer that doesn't happen to me.

Bad thing was, I had my 270 apart, refinishing the stock, but had shells for it. The 7mm, no shells.

12 ga.,buckshot, 18" barrel, Remington 870 pump. Merely the sound of the action should do the trick.

336Robin 03-17-2017 01:41 AM

Mossberg

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan-tum (Post 5837412)
12 ga.,buckshot, 18" barrel, Remington 870 pump. Merely the sound of the action should do the trick.

Check out the new Mossberg stuff. They have some really cool options for home defense and theyre ready to go out of the box. Also have a pistol ready with home defense rounds loaded in them in several places that only you know where they are. A buddy of mine busted a hole in his wall near his door, installed a hole for a pistol and then covered it with paper and painted it. If anyone ever tries to get in from a door knock situation he sticks his hand through and has a pistol right there and everyday no one is the wiser.

TX Poolnut 03-17-2017 04:20 AM

Glad you're OK Terry. How about some motion detection lights outside your home? Cheap and convenient plus help thieves decide to move on to the next home. My elderly neighbors got some after my car was stolen out of my driveway a few years ago. Worth every cent for peace of mind.

P. S.: F U thieves!! :angry:

Mr. Wilson 03-17-2017 04:26 AM

I advise a dog or 2.
Dogs that bite..not yip.

Multiple reasons this is better than attempting to defend at this point.

j2pac 03-17-2017 04:30 AM

Glad you're OK my friend. Dog, handgun, security lights....Do it all.
Best regards.
Joe P

vasilios 03-17-2017 04:52 AM

Wire the porches up for 220 and have a few throw switches about -
Gut a couple used commercial microwaves up -
add some bright lights and arching wires -
throw a switch and see what you get -:thumbup:

bill

Sev 03-17-2017 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasilios (Post 5837461)
Wire the porches up for 220 and have a few throw switches about -
Gut a couple used commercial microwaves up -
add some bright lights and arching wires -
throw a switch and see what you get -:thumbup:

bill

Human bug zapper aye? LOL.

PRED 03-17-2017 05:10 AM

Buy a Police cruiser and park it in your driveway.

Sev 03-17-2017 05:12 AM

Well you have sink hole you can drop the bodies in and nobody would be the wiser.

Texas Carom Club 03-17-2017 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson (Post 5837448)
I advise a dog or 2.
Dogs that bite..not yip.

Multiple reasons this is better than attempting to defend at this point.

i was going to suggest the same thing-doberman

in addition to the pistol

glad nothing much happened

TX Poolnut 03-17-2017 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRED (Post 5837478)
Buy a Police cruiser and park it in your driveway.

My neighbor across the street used to park his marked cop car in his driveway facing outwards every day. Never had a problem.

Two weeks after he retired and no longer had a cruiser in his driveway, my car was stolen out of my driveway. :angry:

Casual Observer 03-17-2017 06:15 AM

In this day and age, with so many people feeling entitled to other people's stuff, it's unwise to not be fully prepared to defends one's property and, potentially, life.
If someone enters my home intent on ill-will and harm, they'll exit it in a complete and restful peace.
The one issue I have to grapple with is that my house is very large and by the time that someone gets to the bedrooms, assuming they're contemplating assisted suicide at night instead of daytime, they're pretty deep into my home by the time they receive their just reward. I worry about ruining so much carpet while dragging their peaceful remnants down to the front door.