AzBilliards.com
Page 15 of 15 « First 5131415

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   T-Rex vs Robocop Big Money One Pocket Action Rubber Match (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=497694)

Black-Balled 09-23-2019 09:15 AM

Don't get nutty and start thinking races to 5 are any real predictor of who might win, going to 20+.

terryhanna 09-23-2019 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This was a long grueling race to 40 over four days that really seemed to take toll on Tony.

On the other hand Robo is like a machine, after playing Tony each night he made bee line to the other tables and played other big action matches all night every night :shocked2:

Attachment 530517

Black-Balled 09-23-2019 11:31 AM

Dennis is gonna change Tony into Shredder II, if he keeps messing with him.

sjm 09-23-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black-Balled (Post 6482115)
Don't get nutty and start thinking races to 5 are any real predictor of who might win, going to 20+.

Best of 21 races to five has been, is, and always will be a pretty sound indicator of which is the better team. It is BECAUSE the races are short that the Mosconi Cup is pool's best event. Late match pressure starts in rack one and any mistake may cost you the match.

The Mosconi Cup is no sprint, but instead a marathon.

Black-Balled 09-23-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjm (Post 6482447)
Best of 21 races to five has been, is, and always will be a pretty sound indicator of which is the better team. It is BECAUSE the races are short that the Mosconi Cup is pool's best event. Late match pressure starts in rack one and any mistake may cost you the match.

The Mosconi Cup is no sprint, but instead a marathon.

Given that is the only competition of it's type, I guess you are correct and I was referring to dcc or other 1p tourneys.

Lotsa guys that have gone deep at dcc don't want any piece of Dennis in a long race, perhaps even at 10-7 and especially, not even up.

sjm 09-23-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black-Balled (Post 6482473)
Given that is the only competition of it's type, I guess you are correct and I was referring to dcc or other 1p tourneys.

Lotsa guys that have gone deep at dcc don't want any piece of Dennis in a long race, perhaps even at 10-7 and especially, not even up.

Your point is well taken and yes, I did misinterpret your post.

Oddly enough, though, form tends to hold at Derby City One Pocket even with the race to three format. For example, the last ones standing this year were Alex Pagulayan, Dennis Orcullo, Francisco Bustamante and Corey Deuel. They were certainly four of the favorites going in.

jay helfert 09-23-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjm (Post 6482489)
Your point is well taken and yes, I did misinterpret your post.

Oddly enough, though, form tends to hold at Derby City One Pocket even with the race to three format. For example, the last ones standing this year were Alex Pagulayan, Dennis Orcullo, Francisco Bustamante and Corey Deuel. They were certainly four of the favorites going in.

In professional pool tournaments, form holds no matter the rules or the length of the matches, and this has always been the case with rare exceptions. Tommy Kennedy's U.S. Open win being the first one that comes to mind. The heavens parted for him that week. :rolleyes:

ShortBusRuss 09-23-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay helfert (Post 6482615)
In professional pool tournaments, form holds no matter the rules or the length of the matches, and this has always been the case with rare exceptions. Tommy Kennedy's U.S. Open win being the first one that comes to mind. The heavens parted for him that week. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but hadn't he made the quarterfinals before in the U.S. Open before? While Tommy had a good week, it's not like a shortstop won the Open that year..

jay helfert 09-23-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortBusRuss (Post 6482616)
Yeah, but hadn't he made the quarterfinals before in the U.S. Open before? While Tommy had a good week, it's not like a shortstop won the Open that year..

No question about it Russ. Tommy is and always has been a very good player. He remains a champion at the regional events he enters even now. But he was never one of the games elite players, far from it. And he would be the first to tell you this.

sjm 09-24-2019 05:33 AM

Quote:

I think the Darryl Peach win at the World 9-ball Championship is an even better example.

lfigueroa 09-24-2019 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortBusRuss (Post 6482616)

Sometimes players just catch a gear.

Everything works, everything is effortless and they're unstoppable. When that player plays at TK's speed it's gonna happen.

Lou Figueroa

jay helfert 09-24-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjm (Post 6482716)
I think the Darryl Peach win at the World 9-ball Championship is an even better example.

I was there doing commentary. The stars really aligned for Darryl that week. He got good rolls and his opponents got bad rolls at many critical junctures. Most importantly, Darryl held it together under the pressure and played his same steady game throughout. His level of play is quite comparable to Kennedy's imo. A very good player but not an elite player.

Z-Nole 09-24-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Itís nice to see when something good happens to a good guy.