AzBilliards.com

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Cue Case Reviews (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Box Cases (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=350781)

The Piper 02-02-2014 09:36 AM

Box Cases

Does anyone still use a simple box case? I went from starting with a box case, to all of the fancy bags, and realizing I carry to much crap, have gone back to a box case with a small compartment for simple stuff.

Does anyone else still use one? Any pictures?

I'm trying to find a place to make a custom cue case. I know google brought me to Taft, and also customcuecase.com.... anyone have any experience with either person? Some of the prices just seems crazy high though on even some simple woods.

Just curious what other options are out there, for nice and durable box cases.

Pagani 02-12-2014 12:30 AM

O'neil makes the best box cases. Call Mark Dorf at 1-800-446-6345 or 262-637-3866. They are the best box cases made.

Busboy 02-12-2014 01:36 AM

I have few but keep them put away too keep in good shape I love the box cases though

Wraith 02-12-2014 10:47 PM

yea the O'neil Cases are very nice. I have several.

tk123456789 02-13-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagani (Post 4588527)
O'neil makes the best box cases. Call Mark Dorf at 1-800-446-6345 or 262-637-3866. They are the best box cases made.

I have been trying to get one of these O'Neil cases for over a year. Every time I speak to the guy he tells me he doesn't have anything.

tk123456789 02-18-2014 09:31 AM

Ok, I have to retract my last post. I just spoke to Mark and ordered a new case! Can't wait to receive it!!!

jgpool 02-19-2014 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Piper (Post 4573103)
Does anyone still use a simple box case? I went from starting with a box case, to all of the fancy bags, and realizing I carry to much crap, have gone back to a box case with a small compartment for simple stuff.

Does anyone else still use one? Any pictures?

I'm trying to find a place to make a custom cue case. I know google brought me to Taft, and also customcuecase.com.... anyone have any experience with either person? Some of the prices just seems crazy high though on even some simple woods.

Just curious what other options are out there, for nice and durable box cases.

I have a few 1 1 x 2, 1 1 x 3, 1 1 x 1, 1 10 x 20, but I don't know who made any of them. I cannot locate a brand.

The Piper 02-20-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk123456789 (Post 4598310)
Ok, I have to retract my last post. I just spoke to Mark and ordered a new case! Can't wait to receive it!!!

I spoke to him and sent him email like he asked but he never got me ny pictures or replied... :/

LWW 02-26-2014 04:34 AM

My carry case is a SCHMELKE 1 X 2 that has held up really well over about 7 years.

Kel_82 03-04-2014 01:54 PM

Good luck finding a O'Neil distributor, I have been searching for days.

I also tried calling both of their numbers, no answer.

I'm looking for a 2x4 hard case, with a storage that will hold a cue ball. Anyone know of any???

fireball 03-18-2014 08:10 AM

I am having a guy build me a wood box case. It will be awhile before I get it designed how I want it and then have the build it.

fireball 03-18-2014 08:11 AM

I am having a guy build me a wood box case. It will be awhile before I get it designed how I want it and then have the guy build it.

Texas Carom Club 08-07-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel_82 (Post 4621262)
Good luck finding a O'Neil distributor, I have been searching for days.

I also tried calling both of their numbers, no answer.

I'm looking for a 2x4 hard case, with a storage that will hold a cue ball. Anyone know of any???

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/arbaandcueca.html
That's all ive seen
But its 2x2

been looking for a NICE box case muhself

I have a guitar builder acquaintance whom I may just have to commission a case build

Texas Carom Club 08-07-2014 12:14 PM

Also theres a few 2x4 box cases on ebay but no qball spot

http://rhtcustomwood.com/
might have to go custom
I like this guys work

trinacria 08-07-2014 06:46 PM

interesting thread. I always felt kind of weird walking in a hall with a box case. don't know why, never felt comfortable, which is funny because I love box cases myself. Im so weird sometimes.

Type79 08-12-2014 08:39 AM

Regarding O'Neil Cases, Mark's operation is small and if you need something immediately, he probably won't be able to accommodate you.

OTOH, if you don't need a case in a week or so, his product is worth the wait as he builds the highest quality box cases. I've been buying cases from O'Neil for more than a year and the quality is top notch. I also own two older 4x8 & 6x6 box cases and what Mark makes today is every bit as good as what he made 15 years ago.

Mark isn't a custom shop per se, but he has done some minor modifications to his stock cases for me.

As for communication, Mark is a tradesman not a secretary, so sometimes he may not return emails immediately and a follow-up email or better yet, a phone call is necessary.

Jay

Cobra Jet 10-11-2014 12:42 AM

I have ordered a few of the Oneil Box cases from Mark Dorf and he is a very nice guy to deal with and his box cases are the best.

Texas Carom Club 10-12-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Jet (Post 4919743)
I have ordered a few of the Oneil Box cases from Mark Dorf and he is a very nice guy to deal with and his box cases are the best.

you have an email for this guy?
the only time I have to call is late and email is just easier for me with the hrs I work
really want to have a nice wood box case instead of the golf bags

Type79 10-12-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beneath_the_sur (Post 4920933)
you have an email for this guy?
the only time I have to call is late and email is just easier for me with the hrs I work
really want to have a nice wood box case instead of the golf bags

Mark's email is oneilcuecase@att.net

He is old school and doesn't "live" on the internet. This means that he may not respond for a day or two.

I have bought a number of cases from him over the past year. He doesn't have a stock of finished cases, most everything is made to order. In my experience, he usually delivers something to my door within 2-3 weeks and what I have received is perfectly finished and of A1 quality,

BMW 10-19-2014 12:45 AM

I have ordered several cases in the past year myself and Mark is a pleasure to deal with and a nice guy and he makes a great case.

Texas Carom Club 10-19-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW (Post 4932566)
I have ordered several cases in the past year myself and Mark is a pleasure to deal with and a nice guy and he makes a great case.

Would you mind showing some pics
I have no idea what they look like
and its like the other guy said he seems to respond to emails like once a week

BMW 10-19-2014 10:11 AM

They are Oneil Box cases...I don't have any pictures, but I am sure if you do a search on AZ they will come up. Also, you can call him and I am sure he will send you pictures.

BMW 10-19-2014 10:14 AM

Here is the phone number for Oneil Cases ask for Mark Dorf 262-637-3866...If he doesn't answer the first time, Keep trying him.

Texas Carom Club 10-19-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW (Post 4933159)
They are Oneil Box cases...I don't have any pictures, but I am sure if you do a search on AZ they will come up. Also, you can call him and I am sure he will send you pictures.

I asked him for a few pics by email
search comes up with about 30 threads and only 2 have a pic of a leather covered box case
not the nice wood one like im wanting

its getting frustrating
im debating whether I should just by my own curley maple lumber and cnc it my self

BMW 10-20-2014 12:09 AM

well he wont make you a wooden one personally

K2Kraze 11-20-2014 05:56 AM

Any chance you fine folks with these box cases from Mr. O'Neil can post a few pics so we can see what they look like including a few interior shots? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Type79 11-20-2014 07:02 AM

Pics

The case shown in this link is typical of an O'Neil case.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=218458

I believe they come in configurations from a 1x1 all the way up to the dealer case which is a 12x12.

I've purchased 2x2's, 2x4's, 4x8's, 6x6's, 12x12 dealer case, as well as a 20 cavity dealer case that only holds butts. Some of my cases were made extra long and they are available with or without a storage area.

Interiors are generally black but I have one he made in green as well as a special order he made for me with a white interior.

Some people claim the older cases were nicer, but I have both new and old O'Neil cases and can't see any difference in any aspect of them. A well-known dealer in high-end cues recently told me these were one of the best cases in which to safely store cues and that they should be stored on end with butts and tips down.

I find Mark easy to work with but he has very few if any cases ready to ship. Most are made to order and dependent upon which wood boxes he has on hand from his supplier. I believe he works alone but may have another helper in the shop. I'm not sure.

He generally gets a case to me in a couple of weeks or sometimes longer if he is waiting on wood boxes to be delivered.

Texas Carom Club 05-18-2015 04:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
picked this up from mr 3 cushion
lovely case
needs latches on the back the leather straps make it really wobbly and unstable

easy add on and wont be visible and the leather can stay

any idea on the maker?
bill didnt know who made it either

dvs 05-19-2015 02:47 PM

nice box case

Hello Sur

Looks like the type of case Roger Taft was making.

Nice pick-up

Texas Carom Club 05-19-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvs (Post 5185059)
Hello Sur

Looks like the type of case Roger Taft was making.

Nice pick-up

hah you maybe right totally forgot about him
how do you make these amazing cases then just dissappear

like the guy who was building equally amazing cue cabinet displays

dvs 05-19-2015 07:47 PM

Box case

1 Attachment(s)
Hi again

Yes. I was fortunate to get a display case from him. He was Arounceville on AZB I believe

I had actually ordered a case from Roger. We spent quite a while with the design, woods, handle etc. I sent him a deposit but he had some problems with his shop. He was a gentleman about not being able to build it. Of course he refunded the deposit. I truly hope he reappears

Pix of my display case

I had seen your case before and thought it was stunning

Regards
Dave

Texas Carom Club 05-20-2015 04:12 AM

thats really neat
the cue case and cabinet

I was this close to buying one of the spalted something or other cue cabinets from pat diveny, whom arouncville said had one but not using
the glass was broken then last second pat saw the wood by the hinge was cracked and wouldn't sell it like that
and now ill just have to wait for one to pop up or get fed up and find me a carpenter