AzBilliards.com
Page 1 of 37 1 2311 Last »

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mr 600 (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=497366)

billlaur 07-28-2019 01:15 PM

Mr 600
 
wheres the dvd of his run ,should be out by now...………….

TX Poolnut 07-28-2019 01:16 PM

Already sold out. Sorry.

billlaur 07-28-2019 01:17 PM

ur a funny guy....

evergruven 07-28-2019 02:27 PM

his wife posted this on july 6:

"We will find a way to let people see it... ASAP.
First it needs to get all its accreditation’s in order.
(First things first).
We are waiting on the media ‘write up’ from source one, which needs to go into the hands of source 2. From there it will be part of media history.
After those hurdles are done, it is up to the powers that be to promote it in a proper fashion (so that John is respected and rewarded).
Patience is needed until we can format it’s future.
After all... pool people have waited 65 years for this... what’s a few months of careful preservation in comparison to that 😊"

iusedtoberich 07-28-2019 02:32 PM

It will never come out. Time to move on.

Joe_Jaguar 07-28-2019 02:34 PM

Fake news .

Black-Balled 07-28-2019 02:54 PM

Got my copy yesterday.

Straight from China.

PoolBum 07-28-2019 03:10 PM

What run? Who ran from what? Did they get away?

Balls 07-28-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billlaur (Post 6447001)
wheres the dvd of his run ,should be out by now...………….

Probably just taking a while to make and insert all the 5 hour energy commercials into it.

sjm 07-28-2019 04:43 PM

People waited 65 years for this run, they can wait a little longer. How could anyone really believe this? What a joke!

The moment has passed and the buzz is long gone after nine weeks. Only the 14.1 diehards will have any interest in seeing this run now, and my guess is that even they are growing weary of waiting and that their interest is waning.

Shame for John, for he deserved better on the occasion of this historic achievement, but it's old news now.

DecentShot 07-28-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billlaur (Post 6447001)
wheres the dvd of his run ,should be out by now...………….

The operating word here is should. This is the American pocket billiard world, expect nothing, and you'll find yourself less disappointed. A jaded outlook for sure, but its the only one that makes sense when dealing with this industry.

nataddrho 07-28-2019 06:10 PM

Don't be impatient. Relax

aaronataylor 07-28-2019 08:19 PM

I’m still just as excited to see the video as I was the day he made the run. I will purchase the DVD as soon as I hear it’s available for purchase.

RiverCity 07-28-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjm (Post 6447117)
People waited 65 years for this run, they can wait a little longer. How could anyone really believe this? What a joke!

The moment has passed and the buzz is long gone after nine weeks. Only the 14.1 diehards will have any interest in seeing this run now, and my guess is that even they are growing weary of waiting and that their interest is waning.

Shame for John, for he deserved better on the occasion of this historic achievement, but it's old news now.

Its just my opinion, but I think the mistake is trying to make money off of the video footage itself. There will be a very limited number of people willing to pay to watch it to begin with.

The money to be made from the achievement is in self promotion, clinics, etc. 'Come let Mr 626 show you how to increase your run' kind of thing.

Holding out for monetary reasons is only shooting himself in the foot, and as you mentioned decreasing the number of people willing to pay for a dvd or stream.

jay helfert 07-28-2019 09:06 PM

This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.

jrctherake 07-28-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billlaur (Post 6447001)
wheres the dvd of his run ,should be out by now...………….

IMO, if its to late for John, well, Mosconi was a has been 60+ years ago.

We all know Willie was no has been just weeks, months, years....hell....even DECADES after his 526 run.....so:

I'm pretty sure John has plenty of time.

Sure, the sooner, the better but, 65 years is a hell of a lot longer than a year or so.

Come on folks, is everyone here a "gotta have it now" type?

I'm willing to wait. I have a feeling we wont be disappointed.

Just pretend the 526 still stands and then watch the vid when it does come out.

<<<<<<<< don't understand all the complaints.

ricardo 07-28-2019 09:18 PM

I can't wait to buy and see the DVD. I'm a little bias since he broke the record on my favorite table at EZ Street Billiards. Been playing there since mid 90's.

Also, I was just there last week and talking to my buddy who was there the day he broke the record and I CANNOT wait to see in video how exactly he broke Mosconi's record. The story my buddy told me, if it's true, should make it worth it for anyone buying the DVD.

Poolmanis 07-28-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverCity (Post 6447222)
Its just my opinion, but I think the mistake is trying to make money off of the video footage itself. There will be a very limited number of people willing to pay to watch it to begin with.

The money to be made from the achievement is in self promotion, clinics, etc. 'Come let Mr 626 show you how to increase your run' kind of thing.

Holding out for monetary reasons is only shooting himself in the foot, and as you mentioned decreasing the number of people willing to pay for a dvd or stream.

^What he said..

4pointer 07-29-2019 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjm (Post 6447117)
People waited 65 years for this run, they can wait a little longer. How could anyone really believe this? What a joke!

The moment has passed and the buzz is long gone after nine weeks. Only the 14.1 diehards will have any interest in seeing this run now, and my guess is that even they are growing weary of waiting and that their interest is waning.

Shame for John, for he deserved better on the occasion of this historic achievement, but it's old news now.

well said sjm ,
very sad but true .
keep in stroke everybody

Texas Carom Club 07-29-2019 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay helfert (Post 6447230)
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.

there are several very cheap screen recording software`s available that can record the dvd from a pc, that you can make a dvd from the file

or just copy the file itself and watch from a usb, most dvd players now have usb connections
so protection from it being copied is not much he can do about it

sjm 07-29-2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrctherake (Post 6447231)
IMO, if its to late for John, well, Mosconi was a has been 60+ years ago.

We all know Willie was no has been just weeks, months, years....hell....even DECADES after his 526 run.....so:

I'm pretty sure John has plenty of time.

Sure, the sooner, the better but, 65 years is a hell of a lot longer than a year or so.

Come on folks, is everyone here a "gotta have it now" type?

I'm willing to wait. I have a feeling we wont be disappointed.

Just pretend the 526 still stands and then watch the vid when it does come out.

<<<<<<<< don't understand all the complaints.

Willie Mosconi was a household name before his run, to pool players and non-pool players alike. I, personally, don't see his run as being among his greatest achievements and I seriously doubt that (if DVDs had been around back then) a DVD of his run would have been a big seller in his or any other era, but name recognition might have made it possible. Perhaps a slogan "watch the greatest pool player ever on his greatest ever day" might have enticed a few non-enthusiasts. Guess we'll never know.

The straight pool era is 35 years in the rear view mirror now. Neither the game of 14.1 nor John Schmidt's name are well known. Not John's fault. He made the grade with his historic run, but did so in a game rarely played anymore.

I'd really like to be wrong here, and hope that John makes a wad of money from this. Time will tell. I agree that the serious diehard fans should be patient, and if that's the only market John hopes to reach, the delay isn't doing any real damage, but the boost he got in name recognition when his run was reported in the NY Times is wearing off a little every day.

Mosconi never had the problem of fading name recognition in his day. Not only was he incredibly well known, but he toured the country year round doing exhibitions in America's poolrooms. He was like a rock band that toured the country to make sure their music was always on people's minds.

Comparing Schmidt to Mosconi is apples and oranges. Two truly phenomenal players with little in common.

tucson9ball 07-29-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjm (Post 6447404)
Willie Mosconi was a household name before his run, to pool players and non-pool players alike. I, personally, don't see his run as being among his greatest achievements and I seriously doubt that (if DVDs had been around back then) a DVD of his run would have been a big seller in his or any other era, but name recognition might have made it possible. Perhaps a slogan "watch the greatest pool player ever on his greatest ever day" might have enticed a few non-enthusiasts. Guess we'll never know.

The straight pool era is 35 years in the rear view mirror now. Neither the game of 14.1 nor John Schmidt's name are well known. Not John's fault. He made the grade with his historic run, but did so in a game rarely played anymore.

I'd really like to be wrong here, and hope that John makes a wad of money from this. Time will tell. I agree that the serious diehard fans should be patient, and if that's the only market John hopes to reach, the delay isn't doing any real damage, but the boost he got in name recognition when his run was reported in the NY Times is wearing off a little every day.

Mosconi never had the problem of fading name recognition in his day. Not only was he incredibly well known, but he toured the country year round doing exhibitions in America's poolrooms. He was like a rock band that toured the country to make sure their music was always on people's minds.

Comparing Schmidt to Mosconi is apples and oranges. Two truly phenomenal players with little in common.

SJM,

Agree completely. I think if John really wanted to capitalize on his accomplishment, he should have started doing 14.1 clinics all over the country. He could have gotten many players interested in improving their games.
I think the longer he waits, less people will show interest. JMHO

poolguy4u 07-29-2019 10:03 AM

.



For me if I want to see a 600 ball run, I just go to YouTube and watch

6 different videos of at least 100 balls run in each.


Good enough for me.

I have no interest in watching the edited big one.




.

Texas Carom Club 07-29-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolguy4u (Post 6447560)
.



For me if I want to see a 600 ball run, I just go to YouTube and watch

6 different videos of at least 100 balls run in each.


Good enough for me.

I have no interest in watching the edited big one.




.



https://media.giphy.com/media/haTiypNZ5c2Na/giphy.gif

skip100 07-29-2019 10:13 AM

Every day he doesn't put the run on YouTube he and his sponsors lose more money.

shinobi 07-29-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay helfert (Post 6447230)
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.

I'd prefer a high definition video on demand or similar. No need for a physical DVD, which is standard definition and easily copied by anyone, despite your head-scratching remark about encryption. Even 15 years ago there were free utilities such as "DVD Shrink" that copied encrypted DVDs effortlessly.

Black-Balled 07-29-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinobi (Post 6447626)
I'd prefer a high definition video on demand or similar. No need for a physical DVD, which is standard definition and easily copied by anyone, despite your head-scratching remark about encryption. Even 15 years ago there were free utilities such as "DVD Shrink" that copied encrypted DVDs effortlessly.

Oi!
We're pool players, not computer rocket doctors!

Positively Ralf 07-29-2019 12:29 PM

I get the monetary value side of things, but what him and his team should have done was sell the unedit raw cut DVD version literally the same week he broke it. Sell it for $10 as there was a lot of eagerness to see it. After that subsided, go back in, sell an upscaled HD commentary track version of it and do it for $30 to $40.

But no, they want to get accreditation first from the BCA, like their accreditation even matters these days.

skogstokig 07-29-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Positively Ralf (Post 6447644)
I get the monetary value side of things, but what him and his team should have done was sell the unedit raw cut DVD version literally the same week he broke it. Sell it for $10 as there was a lot of eagerness to see it. After that subsided, go back in, sell an upscaled HD commentary track version of it and do it for $30 to $40.

But no, they want to get accreditation first from the BCA, like their accreditation even matters these days.

is that what the hold up is?

shinobi 07-29-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black-Balled (Post 6447638)
Oi!
We're pool players, not computer rocket doctors!

Would you prefer VHS, or have you upgraded to Sony Betamax? :D

mikemosconi 07-29-2019 01:59 PM

Obviously no marketing plan was in place and ready to go if and when the successful day came- and now it came and went. ALL of the marketing should have been in place , ready to go, PRIOR to his first day of attempting this record run- why in the world would someone spend all this time trying to achieve this and so little time up front MAKING SURE that everything from a marketing standpoint was in place and ready to go immediately- and his wife states that they wanted to make sure "John is rewarded"- funny way to "make sure of that" after the fact! This makes NO business sense to me at all.

DynoDan 07-29-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolguy4u (Post 6447560)
.



For me if I want to see a 600 ball run, I just go to YouTube and watch

6 different videos of at least 100 balls run in each.


Good enough for me.

I have no interest in watching the edited big one.






.

It’s true, watching someone pocketing make-able/open shots can become rather ‘ho-hum’ after awhile. It’s the breaking/spreading of 44 racks without once ending up thoroughly/hopelessly hooked that ‘I’ want to see!

lfigueroa 07-29-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DynoDan (Post 6447744)
It’s true, watching someone pocketing make-able/open shots can become rather ‘ho-hum’ after awhile. It’s the breaking/spreading of 44 racks without once ending up thoroughly/hopelessly hooked that ‘I’ want to see!


Well, to a certain extent this is true, but...

If you’re into the game you want to see how the player solves all the subtle problems the table presents rack after rack. Then there’s not only watching the player deal with them but their demeanor and watch the psychological stress build up as the run continues.

Now admittedly it is subtle but if you’re into it it can be fascinating and in your brain you’re thinking what will be the next ball, the position play, the pattern. It can be *great* compelling stuff and totally enthralling.

Lou Figueroa
obviously a 14.1 nut

JazzyJeff87 07-29-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfigueroa (Post 6447748)
Well, to a certain extent this is true, but...

If you’re into the game you want to see how the player solves all the subtle problems the table presents rack after rack. Then there’s not only watching the player deal with them but their demeanor and watch the psychological stress build up as the run continues.

Now admittedly it is subtle but if you’re into it it can be fascinating and in your brain you’re thinking what will be the next ball, the position play, the pattern. It can be *great* compelling stuff and totally enthralling.

Lou Figueroa
obviously a 14.1 nut

Enthralling is a good word for it. I’m still learning the game but it only takes a few tries to run multiple racks to see the art of it all. There are plenty of open shots IF you break them open well, then there are times where you have to take tough shots based on the layout or slightly missed position etc, developing break balls, secondary breaks.

I have to be in the mood to watch straight pool though to really get into it. I usually have pool on the TV while I’m playing or messing around and that’s fine for 9 ball, see the break and the table’s wide open you can just sort of listen to the commentators and keep up. But for 14.1, and especially if this run ever becomes available, I’ll get in my good chair and watch as if I’m the one playing and it really is enthralling, hypnotic maybe even. Great game.

michael4 07-29-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfigueroa (Post 6447748)
Well, to a certain extent this is true, but...

If you’re into the game you want to see how the player solves all the subtle problems the table presents rack after rack. Then there’s not only watching the player deal with them but their demeanor and watch the psychological stress build up as the run continues.

Now admittedly it is subtle but if you’re into it it can be fascinating and in your brain you’re thinking what will be the next ball, the position play, the pattern. It can be *great* compelling stuff and totally enthralling.

Lou Figueroa
obviously a 14.1 nut

I tend to agree, but you actually could just watch a string of shorter runs to see how a player solves problems in a rack....

I think the best part of John's video will be from, say, 450 balls onward, where you know the stress was excruciating…..

jay helfert 07-29-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinobi (Post 6447626)
I'd prefer a high definition video on demand or similar. No need for a physical DVD, which is standard definition and easily copied by anyone, despite your head-scratching remark about encryption. Even 15 years ago there were free utilities such as "DVD Shrink" that copied encrypted DVDs effortlessly.

In other words a DVD of this record has little to no value. Is placing it on You Tube and having thousands of people view it where the value lies?

Shuddy 07-29-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay helfert (Post 6447918)
In other words a DVD of this record has little to no value. Is placing it on You Tube and having thousands of people view it where the value lies?

I don’t understand making a DVD. I haven’t owned a DVD player for about 10 years. I guess my PS4 has one, but I’ve never used it. I’d buy a digital version or pay on Vimeo and the like but not a DVD.

Icon of Sin 07-30-2019 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjm (Post 6447117)
People waited 65 years for this run, they can wait a little longer. How could anyone really believe this? What a joke!

The moment has passed and the buzz is long gone after nine weeks. Only the 14.1 diehards will have any interest in seeing this run now, and my guess is that even they are growing weary of waiting and that their interest is waning.

Shame for John, for he deserved better on the occasion of this historic achievement, but it's old news now.

You are mostly right. I still think some people will buy it though just to see the feat occur. His accustats 100+ run from 10+ years ago that he commentated on was super cool to see, as was the 400+ he recently put on youtube.

I hardly play 14.1 at all and generally have little interest in it, but just to see something like this happen, it's worth the money to have a piece of pool history.

On a side note... does anyone think there might be something up with the footage? I don't doubt at all that John ran the 626 as he had witnesses, but maybe the camera angle was sloppy or possibly stopped recording and then picked back up later or something, and that is the reason it hasn't been released yet? Has anyone other then John and Pred actually seen the footage yet?

The 434 run he had on youtube wasnt exactly the best production quality, just a camera with a straight on shot at the table that was slightly crooked. If Pred was planning on marketing this, they should have gave John something a bit better to work with. Plus that video has currently been blocked on youtube due to the music copyright that was playing in the background (which could be yet another hurdle that is making the 626 release take so long).

Icon of Sin 07-30-2019 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay helfert (Post 6447918)
In other words a DVD of this record has little to no value. Is placing it on You Tube and having thousands of people view it where the value lies?

Not thousands of people... more like dozens.

JazzyJeff87 07-30-2019 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icon of Sin (Post 6448004)
Not thousands of people... more like dozens.

Naww it would definitely get thousands, if it were free on YT.

To your comment and questions above, John said in one video or post that the run video had been submitted to the BCA. Nothing about what came of that of course.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56 AM.
Page 1 of 37 1 2311 Last »

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.