AzBilliards.com
Page 2 of 37 12 3412 Last »

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mr 600 (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=497366)

iusedtoberich 07-30-2019 05:38 AM

I doubt more than 100 people world wide would pay ANY money to watch this. The value is not monetary, it’s in John pointing to a free video and saying “look what I did” for the rest of his life. That’s worth a lot more than a few bucks he might eventually make with a paid video. IMO of course.

lfigueroa 07-30-2019 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael4 (Post 6447893)
I tend to agree, but you actually could just watch a string of shorter runs to see how a player solves problems in a rack....

I think the best part of John's video will be from, say, 450 balls onward, where you know the stress was excruciating…..

I would have to mostly agree.

Every players tends to favor particular patterns that they like and are comfortable with and JS is no different in this regard. You'll often see them going for the same last few balls in the same progression each rack to get on a break ball.

Still, sometimes they get out of line and have to improvise.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa 07-30-2019 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay helfert (Post 6447918)
In other words a DVD of this record has little to no value. Is placing it on You Tube and having thousands of people view it where the value lies?

I'm thinking along these lines.

At this point there may be more value in posting up the video to enhance his brand and the whole "Mr. 600" thing than trying to sell it.

Lou Figueroa

Icon of Sin 07-30-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 (Post 6448054)
Naww it would definitely get thousands, if it were free on YT.

To your comment and questions above, John said in one video or post that the run video had been submitted to the BCA. Nothing about what came of that of course.

It would get thousands that would click on it and watch maybe the first rack and then skip to the end to see how the run ends.

It would get a couple hundred that watched a 2 or 3 racks.

It would get about a dozen and a half that actually watched the whole damn thing.

Edit to add: These estimates are different viewer counts, not actual views.

Black-Balled 07-30-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iusedtoberich (Post 6448061)
I doubt more than 100 people world wide would pay ANY money to watch this. The value is not monetary, it’s in John pointing to a free video and saying “look what I did” for the rest of his life. That’s worth a lot more than a few bucks he might eventually make with a paid video. IMO of course.

As they say...

A belt just holds up your pants.

sjm 07-30-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iusedtoberich (Post 6448061)
The value is not monetary, it’s in John pointing to a free video and saying “look what I did” for the rest of his life.

Perhaps you're right, and if John's only objective here is to make the best possible video for posterity, not to make money, you have to respect that, for it's his every right to do just that.

skip100 07-30-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icon of Sin (Post 6448082)
It would get thousands that would click on it and watch maybe the first rack and then skip to the end to see how the run ends.

It would get a couple hundred that watched a 2 or 3 racks.

It would get about a dozen and a half that actually watched the whole damn thing.

This is a gross underestimate of the number of views the video is likely to get.

This garden-variety run of 227 by Jayson Shaw has been viewed almost 100,000 times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oYgBw2aRgY

A three-cushion run has received more than 100,000 views in one month:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhmeFnGZVZU

An Efren Reyes highlight reel has been viewed 1.4 million times in a couple months:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5luTFSLjJfA

John's run is likely to be viewed millions of times if it is put on YouTube with anything approaching decent production value. Not watched from start to finish, of course, but that is not super relevant in this context.

CreeDo 07-30-2019 01:16 PM

I messaged John a while back about this and he replied a while later.

(note: not trying to imply him and I are tight, I'm just a random dude he doesn't know...
I was surprised he took the time to respond.)

I don't know if he'd be cool with me posting his exact reply, so I guess to err on the safe side,
I'll just say he is still holding out hope that he can release it in a way that will let him make a few bucks.
I think he knows deep down that there's gonna be pirated copies.
But he's trying to think outside the box.

I suggested that he should just forget that, and make a cheap and easy digital download.
Louis CK did the same thing for one of his acts, and it was convenient enough that he still made
a million bucks even though it was easy to pirate.

John seemed somewhat open to the idea.

For the record, any youtube money will be negligible. As others have said, you'd use it to promote yourself.

The youtube AdSense payment has a few different factors... a longer video affords more opportunities
to serve ads, but you don't get paid for the ads that never get seen. So if they only watch a few
minutes and then get bored and quit... or they fast forward through a lot of it... your pay drops.

A pretty good rough rule of thumb, in 2019, if you're not a superstar and don't have additional
revenue through some sort of contract/sponsor... is $4 per 1,000 views.

The most popular video of John running balls that I can find, is his 366 ball run on Dennis Walsh's YT channel.
So John's already missing out a little bit, in the sense that all that revenue is presumably going to Dennis.

"All that revenue"
39,000 views = 39 * $4.00
= $156 spread out over the past 3 years.

lfigueroa 07-30-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreeDo (Post 6448341)

(note: not trying to imply him and I are tight, I'm just a random dude he doesn't know...

I don't know if he'd be cool with me posting his exact reply, so I guess to err on the safe side,
I'll just say he is still holding out hope that he can release it in a way that will let him make a few bucks.

I suggested that he should just forget that, and make a cheap and easy digital download.
Louis CK did the same thing for one of his acts, and it was convenient enough that he still made

For the record, any youtube money will be negligible. As others have said, you'd use it to promote yourself.

The youtube AdSense payment has a few different factors... a longer video affords more opportunities
to serve ads, but you don't get paid for the ads that never get seen. So if they only watch a few
minutes and then get bored and quit... or they fast forward through a lot of it... your pay drops.

A pretty good rough rule of thumb, in 2019, if you're not a superstar and don't have additional

The most popular video of John running balls that I can find, is his 366 ball run on Dennis Walsh's YT channel.
So John's already missing out a little bit, in the sense that all that revenue is presumably going to Dennis.

"All that revenue"

Don't know about that last part.

I believe Dennis handled distribution for JS and DH on their big runs and passed all proceeds to the players.

Lou Figueroa

DynoDan 07-30-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuddy (Post 6447927)
I don’t understand making a DVD. I haven’t owned a DVD player for about 10 years. I guess my PS4 has one, but I’ve never used it. I’d buy a digital version or pay on Vimeo and the like but not a DVD.

Not everyone has access to wide band/high-speed Internet. Plus, if whatever media conglomerate that supplies cellular service has unusually high demand, they will often slow the speed below the minimum requirement for reliable functioning/manipulation on many digital video devices. Those that think every recorded event/program of importance can always be sourced from ‘the cloud’, had better pray there won’t be a violent sunspot event someday that wipes out all the satellites! When it comes to what is likely to be the most momentous milestone in modern billiards history (?), I prefer a hard copy.

Icon of Sin 07-30-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip100 (Post 6448201)
John's run is likely to be viewed millions of times if it is put on YouTube with anything approaching decent production value. Not watched from start to finish, of course, but that is not super relevant in this context.

If I made a gross understatement, that is a gross overstatement.

Efren Reyes was one of the best pool players ever and a highlight reel from him is not only going to be watched by pool players but also randoms, because they are highlights. Not to mention he is legend not only in pool but also in Phillippines in general. The too is a reason it will gain more views.

If any big view counts happen for John, it will realistically get around the same amount as Shaw's run you linked. It's not a highlight reel, it someone shooting 626 balls into holes for hours. No one who isnt a pool player is going to give a damn and hell, some pool players arent either.

Plus my numbers were not meant to be actual view counts, I was counting them as different viewers. How many times you think the same person rewatched Efren's highlight reel?

As for the production value. They can add as many graphics as they want to it and get whoever they want to comment on it, if it was filmed slightly blurry, in a lower definition and slightly crooked, that's going to hurt it.

The 434 video John had up was amazing. I watched the entire run, but the recording itself was not the best. Like I said in a previous post, if Pred wanted to market this, they should have thought about that before John did it and provided him with a better setup for recording.

skip100 07-30-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icon of Sin (Post 6448380)
If I made a gross understatement, that is a gross overstatement.

Efren Reyes was one of the best pool players ever and a highlight reel from him is not only going to be watched by pool players but also randoms, because they are highlights. Not to mention he is legend not only in pool but also in Phillippines in general. The too is a reason it will gain more views.

If any big view counts happen for John, it will realistically get around the same amount as Shaw's run you linked. It's not a highlight reel, it someone shooting 626 balls into holes for hours. No one who isnt a pool player is going to give a damn and hell, some pool players arent either.

Plus my numbers were not meant to be actual view counts, I was counting them as different viewers. How many times you think the same person rewatched Efren's highlight reel?

As for the production value. They can add as many graphics as they want to it and get whoever they want to comment on it, if it was filmed slightly blurry, in a lower definition and slightly crooked, that's going to hurt it.

The 434 video John had up was amazing. I watched the entire run, but the recording itself was not the best. Like I said in a previous post, if Pred wanted to market this, they should have thought about that before John did it and provided him with a better setup for recording.

Shaw's run got to hundreds of thousands of views with no promotion and no world record. Schmidt has history and the biggest brand name in pool behind him.

I don't think it's implausible that Schmidt's world record run would garner multiple millions of views when a three-cushion video is able to hit 100k.

Of course, the longer they wait the less demand there will be.

Icon of Sin 07-30-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip100 (Post 6448383)
Shaw's run got to hundreds of thousands of views with no promotion and no world record. Schmidt has history and the biggest brand name in pool behind him.

I don't think it's implausible that Schmidt's world record run would garner multiple millions of views when a three-cushion video is able to hit 100k.

John's 336 only has 40k views and its been uploaded for over 3 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPrRvPOUkA

skip100 07-30-2019 02:18 PM

I guess the question is whether there is an essential difference between a random high run of 336 by a not particularly well-known player and a world record run promoted by Predator. I think there is, apparently you don't.

We'll see what they end up deciding to do.

Texas Carom Club 07-30-2019 02:20 PM

There are way more people playing 3c than 14.1 in the world

Texas Carom Club 07-30-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icon of Sin (Post 6448390)
John's 336 only has 40k views and its been uploaded for over 3 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPrRvPOUkA

On a channel thats for diehards alone with very little or no promotion behind it

2540 subs to it

Icon of Sin 07-30-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip100 (Post 6448396)
I guess the question is whether there is an essential difference between a random high run of 336 by a not particularly well-known player and a world record run promoted by Predator. I think there is, apparently you don't.

We'll see what they end up deciding to do.

LOL. What's funny is you think it being promoted by Predator means something to people outside of the pool world.

You tell some random you have a Predator Shaft and they are going to snicker and says something like "You said shaft".

I'm being realistic here. I hope John finds a way for it to blow up and get popular, but other then the 3 minutes on the local news, I don't it's going to get much bigger then what it already is.

As far as view counts, it will get past 100k eventually, Id be shocked if that was within 1 year. Id be even more shocked if it ever hit 1 million.

Icon of Sin 07-30-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club (Post 6448398)
On a channel thats for diehards alone with very little or no promotion behind it

2540 subs to it

I typed "John Schmidt High Run" and that was the 5th result. What do you think Predator is going to do? Put a commercial on ESPN? They already have 1 ad on youtube which is also for the Revo shaft. Maybe they will put some clips on streamed events and run a ad in a Pool Magazine (do they even exist anymore).

Texas Carom Club 07-30-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icon of Sin (Post 6448408)
I typed "John Schmidt High Run" and that was the 5th result. What do you think Predator is going to do? Put a commercial on ESPN? They already have 1 ad on youtube which is also for the Revo shaft. Maybe they will put some clips on streamed events and run a ad in a Pool Magazine (do they even exist anymore).

Im actually stunned to see predator has less subscribers than dennis walsh! Lol
Mayb they wanna hit up pov pool with the 36429 subscribers if its views and exposure they want

evergruven 07-30-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreeDo (Post 6448341)

"All that revenue"

this thread kind of makes me sad..john broke 526 by a hundred balls and we're talking about his pants pocket
but I want him to be successful too..it would be good for john and probably pool as a whole if he brought home some bacon off this thing

creedo, your post reminds me of radiohead's idea about selling their album for whatever people wanted to pay
it was a social experiment in a way, and if I remember right, some people paid a buck, some people paid 100..averaged about 20 bucks a sale I think
there's undoubtedly more money in music
but if john's worried about getting ripped off, maybe he could just put it out there
and people could donate whatever they wanted to
or he could do a crowdfund campaign and if people pay a certain amount, they could get perks
like autographs, memorabilia, private lessons, etc.
maybe this has been mentioned before
but I would be happy to contribute to something like that
I will also be happy to kick john a few bucks for whatever he decides to do with 626.

sjm 07-30-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip100 (Post 6448201)

I really hope you're right here. John deserves it.

johnnysd 07-30-2019 07:46 PM

Bash me all you want, but I think the run is BS and that is what the video is so delayed. I honestly do not believe he did it. He is capable, but I think he was tired of grinding for it.

Scratch85 07-30-2019 07:53 PM

Mr 600

I want to see the entire run. Not that I am suspect about it but I am a pool nut and want to see history as it was made. Would pay reasonable $ to have it in its entirety.

I’m sure there are many who would rather see a production that has periods of impressive runs, along with a few great shots, and some commentary about the game. Maybe some of the seedy side of pool and some dames showing cleavage. Then the last shots before the record and the shots leading up to the miss. Maybe that production can get the big $ that I hope JS gets from breaking this record.

This run is a big deal! In these modern times, there needs to be video available that appeals to different types of fans. Not sure which production can pay off.

jrctherake 07-30-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 6448578)
Bash me all you want, but I think the run is BS and that is what the video is so delayed. I honestly do not believe he did it. He is capable, but I think he was tired of grinding for it.

Not bashing but, do you:

disrespect people's "life work" much?

CreeDo 07-30-2019 09:39 PM

Gruven that's kind of an interesting thought. John could think of a number that he thinks is the realistic maximum he could hope to get paid, 10k or whatever, and then does a Kickstarter or whatever for it.

One he hits that number, he uploads the video to youtube. maybe those who kick in 50+ get to download a high production value version, while the rest get the bare run.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

evergruven 07-31-2019 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreeDo (Post 6448614)
Gruven that's kind of an interesting thought. John could think of a number that he thinks is the realistic maximum he could hope to get paid, 10k or whatever, and then does a Kickstarter or whatever for it.

One he hits that number, he uploads the video to youtube. maybe those who kick in 50+ get to download a high production value version, while the rest get the bare run.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

sure, something like that..I wonder if he's considered the crowdfunding route
I would ask but don't have facebook
I just want to see john do well
and it would be great to talk about the pool instead of
"where's the vid"
meanwhile I'm diggin this chinese 8-ball cue..
bet it would be good for straights too
family in town this week
maybe next..

smashmouth 07-31-2019 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay helfert (Post 6447230)
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.

lol, it's not 1992 there buddy

sounds like this whole thing could be a hoax
if so, utterly disgusting and brilliant at the same time

ideologist 07-31-2019 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay helfert (Post 6447230)
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.

Is this a joke? Copyright and streaming are the only ways he can monetize this. Selling DVDs will be a losing venture, a teenager can crack the encryption and rip the video, or just record it during playback.

I wish he thought of all of this ahead of time, or reached out to an expert to speed things along, but listening to antiquated advice is not the answer

Shuddy 07-31-2019 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip100 (Post 6448383)

What % of pool players (not AZ forum goers) do you think know Jason Shaw’s name vs the % that know John Schmidt’s?

It’s just Shaw’s name that got the views. No one knows who John is :( (think globally)

Black-Balled 07-31-2019 04:59 AM

Quote:

Sure...and the government wants to kill its citizens.

The Pentagon didn't get hit by a plane.

Sandy Hook never happened .

The moon landing found the moon is made of cheese...coz the craft never left Hollywood.

jay helfert 07-31-2019 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ideologist (Post 6448679)
Is this a joke? Copyright and streaming are the only ways he can monetize this. Selling DVDs will be a losing venture, a teenager can crack the encryption and rip the video, or just record it during playback.

I wish he thought of all of this ahead of time, or reached out to an expert to speed things along, but listening to antiquated advice is not the answer

You're a little late to the party. I refer you to my post #36 from two days ago.

pt109 07-31-2019 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashmouth (Post 6448673)
lol, it's not 1992 there buddy

sounds like this whole thing could be a hoax
if so, utterly disgusting and brilliant at the same time

Attachment 526075

I’ll take Mr Capelle’s word for it

Straightpool_99 07-31-2019 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt109 (Post 6448742)
Attachment 526075

I’ll take Mr Capelle’s word for it

I'm not saying it's a hoax, but it seems mr. Capelle didn't witness it, either...

I very much doubt it's a hoax, but I think the whole (non)release has been handled extremely poorly. Whatever money he could potentially earn from this was probably cut in half by that fact alone.

BJTyler 07-31-2019 07:05 AM

Some really good opinions/thoughts on this thread....hopefully John benefits from them.

Here are some additional thoughts.

1. I tend to agree that DVDs are and should be the secondary media format for this. I have a DVD player, but haven't purchased a DVD in years. I almost exclusively use on Demand for my entertainment content, I believe this is the future and as such John should primarily pursue this route.

2. Utilizing an on-demand format, I think there are many creative ways he could present the run of 626, thereby increasing its value. including
- being able to index/skip ahead by ball number, rack number, key balls, break balls, or time.
- having multiple commentaries: people, skill levels, etc...
- top 20 shots
- top 20 break shots
- lessons
- interactive Q&A type stuff

3. By utilizing an on-demand format, he could also charge an annual subscription that would not only allow the user to watch the run as often as they want, but he could further monetize the run by placing additional pool content on the site, such as:
- lessons
- other runs
- other matches
- product reviews
- product sales (marketplace)
- etc...

4. While none of this is easy, and some could require a significant investment, he wouldn't have to do it all at once, he could slowly build up the site using the 626 as the hook to attract people.

Of course, putting the run on a DVD and selling it is much easier and far less risky, but if John is interested in turning this accomplishment into an actual business (which he may not), I think there is a route available.

Icon of Sin 07-31-2019 07:07 AM

I don't think it is a hoax either. I feel like the video was probably a poor quality and it's taking a while to dress it up the best they can.

I'm sure John did the run, just feel there are probably issues with the video making it take longer. If he was initially recording it just as proof then he probably didnt care to much about the quality or setup of it, just wanted a document it. Now after the fact, the pool player wants to make money off of it, which doesn't shock me... a pool player with poor planning trying to make a nickel.

Ideally, this would have been handled as similar to his accustats video as possible. So with all the time and attempts it took to do this, he would have had to been a one man crew, but taking a little bit extra time at the beginning of the day would go along way in terms of the quality and marketability of the video.

Look at Early TAR for example. The SVB vs Corey race to 100. It was a single, high quality, camera mounted straight and never moved for the entire race. The quality looked great. Very aesthetically pleasing and easy to watch and this was over a decade ago.

Now look at John's current youtube vids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdiRXXjJwQE The video quality is a bit washed out in color. Blue cloth would have probably helped that some. The camera is slighly slanted as well. Maybe that part could be straightened/corrected in post. Just little things like that will take away from the marketability of it.

Any video is great as proof of it happening, but if you want people to buy it you are going to have to make it look good too.

I'm going to buy it regardless how it looks or how they decide to sell it, but I'm a pool fanatic. If you want the random pool player/league player to buy it, the production quality is going to have to be decent, and that and promotion of it isnt gong to be free either.

You have pool players making and selling a video of a pool player playing a dead game in a dead sport. Doesn't matter how much you polish it up, you'd be lucky to pull a couple thousand dollars in profit from it. With all that being said, (especially the quality and lack of real profit) the best option for this would be for free on Youtube or a couple bucks on Vimeo or something like that, just to get the views more then anything.

gogg 07-31-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 6448586)
I want to see the entire run. Not that I am suspect about it but I am a pool nut and want to see history as it was made. Would pay reasonable $ to have it in its entirety.

I’m sure there are many who would rather see a production that has periods of impressive runs, along with a few great shots, and some commentary about the game. Maybe some of the seedy side of pool and some dames showing cleavage. Then the last shots before the record and the shots leading up to the miss. Maybe that production can get the big $ that I hope JS gets from breaking this record.

This run is a big deal! In these modern times, there needs to be video available that appeals to different types of fans. Not sure which production can pay off.

i would be pretty sure that the one with the cleavage would be the bigger seller...😝

CreeDo 07-31-2019 12:39 PM

Phil Capelle's article for Pool and Billiards magazine includes a photo of the 527th ball.

https://i.imgur.com/0L15bXd.png

Half of me thinks that if people start questioning whether it happened, it might get John to release the run,
and half of me thinks it'd cause him to NOT release it out of spite.

At this point, I would throw him $50 for the bare run, in the same quality as his other streams,
with no commentary. Who's with me?

Positively Ralf 07-31-2019 12:48 PM

I would do $30 for the bare run, no commentary, raw audio and the same awful quality of his 366ish run that is on youtube. the commentary track, HD visual version I would do $50.

It's ridiculously simply like I said in my previous post and it's a shame that he let all the goodwill from the run die down.

Texas Carom Club 07-31-2019 12:50 PM

ive said before i probably woulda paid 100 for a dvd within the first week when it was hot news
now, ya 50 i guess

im curious as well to see his reaction when he misses

pt109 07-31-2019 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CreeDo (Post 6449015)
Phil Capelle's article for Pool and Billiards magazine includes a photo of the 527th ball.

https://i.imgur.com/0L15bXd.png

Half of me thinks that if people start questioning whether it happened, it might get John to release the run,
and half of me thinks it'd cause him to NOT release it out of spite.

At this point, I would throw him $50 for the bare run, in the same quality as his other streams,
with no commentary. Who's with me?

The shot for 527 was very makeable....whew!

Attachment 526090