AzBilliards.com
Page 1 of 3 1 23

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   United Billiard League (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=499732)

UBL.NYC 09-19-2019 05:51 AM

United Billiard League

I was hoping to get some constructive feedback and thoughts on the Ball-in-Hand handicap system introduced in the United Billiard League. I was asked by Peter Margo to build divisions and leagues for the UBL in the New York Metro area. I'm receiving great response from lower ranked players ( 2's, 3's and 4's and D's and C's) and really hard, and sometimes harsh, push back from higher ranked players. And oddly enough, no complaints at all from local pros.
Considering that the United Billiard League is paying out over $37,000 per session and over $250,000 in the finals as prize money, I am a little confused by some reactions that I've received.

I have my own thoughts, but I wanted to hear from the many sound voices here.

Thanks
Gerard

ChicagoRJ 09-19-2019 06:30 AM

So, if a 7 is playing a 3, the 3 would get bih 4 times for every game of the match. I'm assuming there is a similar race like in APA?

Oh, is there coaching allowed?

ipoppa33 09-19-2019 06:48 AM

This is the 3rd time

How many times are you going to post the same question?
9/15- https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=499594
9/14- https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=499523

Maniac 09-19-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipoppa33 (Post 6479568)

Well....since the OP really wants to know THAT badly:

IMHO, I think the BIH rules are simply "dumbing-down" the game of pool. You're going to breed a whole generation of players that will never learn cue ball control nor invest the time it takes to learn it.

I say games "on-the-wire" is the way to go once you learn how to TRULY handicap a player (good luck with that). At least a player getting free games will eventually have to learn cue ball control if that person wants to better his/her chances of winning.

He wanted opinions so there's mine.

Maniac

Black-Balled 09-19-2019 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And chicken kebab with garlic sauce and a red hot sauce (Tabasco, crystal, Tejas pedro...). So good.

Getting hooong-ry!

mikepage 09-19-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UBL.NYC (Post 6479537)
I was hoping to get some constructive feedback and thoughts on the Ball-in-Hand handicap system introduced in the United Billiard League. I was asked by Peter Margo to build divisions and leagues for the UBL in the New York Metro area. I'm receiving great response from lower ranked players ( 2's, 3's and 4's and D's and C's) and really hard, and sometimes harsh, push back from higher ranked players. And oddly enough, no complaints at all from local pros.
Considering that the United Billiard League is paying out over $37,000 per session and over $250,000 in the finals as prize money, I am a little confused by some reactions that I've received.

Thanks
Gerard

Two different issues here

(1). Is the multiple ball-in-hand thing a good idea?

For a company-party pool tournament that is unlucky enough to have a few pool players in the mix, maybe. As a core structural thing for a league?, no.

--games are useless for FargoRate
--game-specific strategy will dominate in time
--highly manipulable

(2). Advertising/promoting a league by some large singularity-like payout?

There are a few things going on right now involving pool players and money and enthusiastic supporters that make me feel like I need a shower. This is one of them.

JazzyJeff87 09-19-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black-Balled (Post 6479606)
And chicken kebab with garlic sauce and a red hot sauce (Tabasco, crystal, Tejas pedro...). So good.

Getting hooong-ry!

Daaamn that meal looks like it doesnít suck at all.

Thereís a place called Mama Luciaís around here. They make this Chicken Cacciatore with penne pasta..Er Ma Gurd itís so delicious, Iíve got some left over in my fridge right now

Black-Balled 09-19-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 (Post 6479628)
Daaamn that meal looks like it doesnít suck at all.

Thereís a place called Mama Luciaís around here. They make this Chicken Cacciatore with penne pasta..Er Ma Gurd itís so delicious, Iíve got some left over in my fridge right now

It is SO good.

Close to $15 though. Unless it is carbon fiber, I am cheap, so I am restricted to 1 kebab visit per week...sadly.

Maniac 09-19-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black-Balled (Post 6479606)

Getting hooong-ry!

Hey, this isn't Facebook. :rolleyes:

Maniac

DecentShot 09-19-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UBL.NYC (Post 6479537)

Thanks
Gerard

Oddly enough? Really? Of course bangers are going to love giving them the illusion of being good, of course the low A to shortstop is going to complain because as good as they maybe they can't consistently run out. "Well the pros don't mind"...well no S! First of all "pros" have to be professional. So if you walk up to one and ask them about your new league they aren't going to say,"You know, I'm not really feeling this multiple ball in hand thing." They will humor you. Secondly, they don't give a crap about a BIH handicap because they are good enough for it not to matter.

Black-Balled 09-19-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac (Post 6479694)
Hey, this isn't Facebook. :rolleyes:

Maniac

I give the post to which I reply a 1 star yelper.

TonyFL 09-19-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ (Post 6479557)
So, if a 7 is playing a 3, the 3 would get bih 4 times for every game of the match. I'm assuming there is a similar race like in APA?

Oh, is there coaching allowed?

No, it's not an either / or system. If a player is ranked a "2" they would get two BIH per rack. Likewise, if their opponent is rated a "4" they would get 4 BIH per rack. Both players would be able to utilize the number of BIH per rack that they are ranked at.

I do believe that (limited) coaching is allowed and a handicap BIH is not allowed on the 8-Ball.

Z-Nole 09-19-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyFL (Post 6479775)
No, it's not an either / or system. If a player is ranked a "2" they would get two BIH per rack. Likewise, if their opponent is rated a "4" they would get 4 BIH per rack. Both players would be able to utilize the number of BIH per rack that they are ranked at.

I do believe that (limited) coaching is allowed and a handicap BIH is not allowed on the 8-Ball.

So the higher your ranking number the more you suck? How will they handle players sand bagging or getting better as the season goes along? Oh wait, scratch that. Donít bother answering, I donít really give a shit.

CGM 09-19-2019 12:43 PM

Should I buy a cuetec or Valhalla?

ChicagoRJ 09-19-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyFL (Post 6479775)

Never said either or, but if you are rated you get bih every single game for the entire match.

Too bad the guy who started the thread won't come back and answer any questions ??