AzBilliards.com
Page 1 of 10 1 23 Last »

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Non Pool Related (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Things I miss from what I call the good old days in the U.S.A. (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=94044)

CocoboloCowboy 03-29-2008 11:56 AM

Things I miss from what I call the good old days in the U.S.A.

Pay Telephones ever where that cost 5, or 10 cents to make a local call from, before the invent of cell phones.

Calling 411 for free, and getting a live person to give you a need telephone number from directory assistance. Not having to deal with computers.

Doctors who drove Buick's, made house calls, and took care of you when you were sick. Remember paying $10.00 for an office visit, and walking out with Prescription Samples.

Red Coca Cola machines were ever where, loaded Coco Cola products in glass bottles costing only five cents for a cold soft drink.

Kids stand on corners after school, selling the afternoon edition of the local newspaper.

Having five or six daily newspapers to choose from, with morning and afternoon editions.

Having your mail delivery two times a day, and first class postage for a letter costing only five cents.

Local Soda/Candy Shop with counters where you could sit down and order a Milk Shakes made with Real Milk, and Real Ice Cream.

Community Drug Stores that sold a little bit of everything where all over town, before the day of Wal Mart, CVS, and Wal Greens capturing the market.

Every neighborhood has a ?little store?, it was kind of a mini market that had a mini selection of groceries. With a note from mom or dad, and we got to buy cigarettes, beer, or wine with no aggravation for our parents.

The local Market, or Grocery Store was the recycling Center of yesteryear, and we could turn in collected Pop Bottles for Money.

The Cars we drove did not need no stink computer to work on, they required simple tune ups consisting of changing the Points, Plugs, Condenser, and Setting the Timing.

Gas/Service Stations Attendants use fill your Car or Trucks Gas Tank for you, plus the Gas/Service Stations Attendants cleaned your Windshield & Check your Oil, Water, Belts, etc.

Banks would have give always of Sets of Flatware, Toasters, Set of Dishes, etc. just for opening an account.

Going to the local story and find sign at end of isles list products from on that isle on in ENGLISH.

Call companies customer service number, and have the phone answer by someone in American, not the Philippines, India, or some other place off shore.

Riding a Bicycle, or Skatebaord without a helmet. Driving my car with out having to waer a seatbelt for the frear of geting a ticket.

American Industry was know for solving problems with new product that were manufactured in America, by American Workers. Not importing more than we exported, and the word ?issues? people were talking about we issues of magazine, or newspapers.

Plus Political Correctness, was not correct.

LWW 03-29-2008 12:33 PM

I miss car rdios with 1 knob for volume and 1 for station.

So simple and elegant.

I can't believe nobody has developed a high end unit that has uber simple controls like that.

A McIntosh or Eclipse is about as close as it gets.

LWW

cuebuilder 03-29-2008 03:02 PM

I miss Eagle Stamps. The green saving stamps you collected when you did grocery shopping. Put them in a book and when you filled ??? number of books you could pick a gift.
There were also S&H stamps, but not as popular. There was at least one other too.

I grew up in South Eastern Missouri near St. Louis. We had lots of pecan trees around. I miss going to the grocery store and watching the pecan cracker machine in the front window. Bring in your pecans and have them cracked for free while you shopped. Made a great noise.

I miss being able to take your sweetheart to the movies, then get something to eat after and put gas in the car for about $2.00 total. (gotta have gas in the car so you could let the car run for the heater when you went parking. if its cold)

easy-e 03-29-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy
Going to the local story and find sign at end of isles list products from on that isle on in ENGLISH.

You are right about this one. I really miss when things were written in ENGLISH!:rolleyes: :D

CocoboloCowboy 03-29-2008 05:47 PM

Pisses me off when I go to Home Depot and the signs are larger in Spanish, and English is small print. Though I lived in the USA, and Mexico.

cuejoey 03-29-2008 07:25 PM

:) "Welcome to AMERICA now speak English":)

whitey2 03-29-2008 07:45 PM

just a couple, but pool-related

Bar tables that always had a waiting list. If I lost, and the line was too long to play again, I could
drive or even walk down the street to another bar to see if the line was shorter. And, I could even
repeat the process a few times. Note, this was when it was a quarter, and even when it was
two quarters to play.

Play all day (12-6 P.M.) specials in a pool hall in my town.

tom haney 03-30-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy
Pay Telephones ever where that cost 5, or 10 cents to make a local call from, before the invent of cell phones.

Calling 411 for free, and getting a live person to give you a need telephone number from directory assistance. Not having to deal with computers.

Doctors who drove Buick's, made house calls, and took care of you when you were sick. Remember paying $10.00 for an office visit, and walking out with Prescription Samples.

Red Coca Cola machines were ever where, loaded Coco Cola products in glass bottles costing only five cents for a cold soft drink.

Kids stand on corners after school, selling the afternoon edition of the local newspaper.

Having five or six daily newspapers to choose from, with morning and afternoon editions.

Having your mail delivery two times a day, and first class postage for a letter costing only five cents.

Local Soda/Candy Shop with counters where you could sit down and order a Milk Shakes made with Real Milk, and Real Ice Cream.

Community Drug Stores that sold a little bit of everything where all over town, before the day of Wal Mart, CVS, and Wal Greens capturing the market.

Every neighborhood has a ?little store?, it was kind of a mini market that had a mini selection of groceries. With a note from mom or dad, and we got to buy cigarettes, beer, or wine with no aggravation for our parents.

The local Market, or Grocery Store was the recycling Center of yesteryear, and we could turn in collected Pop Bottles for Money.

The Cars we drove did not need no stink computer to work on, they required simple tune ups consisting of changing the Points, Plugs, Condenser, and Setting the Timing.

Gas/Service Stations Attendants use fill your Car or Trucks Gas Tank for you, plus the Gas/Service Stations Attendants cleaned your Windshield & Check your Oil, Water, Belts, etc.

Banks would have give always of Sets of Flatware, Toasters, Set of Dishes, etc. just for opening an account.

Call companies customer service number, and have the phone answer by someone in American, not the Philippines, India, or some other place off shore.

Riding a Bicycle, or Skatebaord without a helmet. Driving my car with out having to waer a seatbelt for the frear of geting a ticket.

American Industry was know for solving problems with new product that were manufactured in America, by American Workers. Not importing more than we exported, and the word ?issues? people were talking about we issues of magazine, or newspapers.

Plus Political Correctness, was not correct.

ME TOO, CC. A very good post.

chefjeff 03-30-2008 08:49 AM

I miss looking in my rearview mirror, seeing a cop, and not worrying that I'd done something "wrong," but instead glad that a protector was near.

I miss kids being kids.

I miss the freedom to travel without "official" permission.

I miss the freedom to fail.

I miss the freedom to succeed.

I miss the news about important stuff, such as money, business, liberties, creation, etc. I am sick of Britany's body parts and polls about how I "should" think.

I miss honesty.

Jeff Livingston

tom haney 03-30-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefjeff
I miss looking in my rearview mirror, seeing a cop, and not worrying that I'd done something "wrong," but instead glad that a protector was near.

I miss kids being kids.

I miss the news about important stuff, such as money, business, liberties, creation, etc. I am sick of Britany's body parts and polls about how I "should" think.

I miss honesty.

Jeff Livingston

Another excellent post.

tom haney 03-30-2008 08:56 AM

I miss that period of time between Gerald Ford and Bill Clinton when all of our Presidents realized we never want to get ourselves into another long war with no exit plan.

CocoboloCowboy 03-30-2008 09:50 AM

Remember back in 1996 Delivery to a home Depot in El Passo Texas, and seeing my first signs in Spanish in the USA, and saying to myself WHAT.??

sstewart_99 03-30-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefjeff

I miss kids being kids.

I miss honesty.

Jeff Livingston

I couldn't agree more.

wallstreet 03-30-2008 11:40 AM

PRETZELS!! - THOSE PENNY STICK PRETZELS

Franky 03-30-2008 12:08 PM

I miss having lunch at In-N-Out. Wait, I just had some 2 days ago and its 8 minutes to noon right now.... ;)

I miss Whiskey being the drink of choice. Wait, I had some of that too at the Whiskey tasting event last night. Actually, a lot of it.

In fact, today's looking good as well. Is it possible to miss tomorrow? :rolleyes: