AzBilliards.com
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Non Pool Related (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Do Americans REALLY care about our environment? (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=109896)

jimmyg 08-18-2008 06:56 AM

Do Americans REALLY care about our environment?

Why not start with a really useless, wasteful, and costly product.....plastic bags? Most of the shoppers in Europe already bring their own reuseable cloth shopping bags to the supermarket. Why not here in America?? Take a look at this and you'll also wonder!! :angry: Jim

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...DIA02/80505016

LWW 08-18-2008 07:23 AM

I've been doing that for awhile.

LWW

Dawgie 08-18-2008 07:37 AM

This looks like the best thing to do is tax or ban plastic bags outright. 37M barrels of oil is significant.

CocoboloCowboy 08-18-2008 07:40 AM

I recyclel my Plastic bage to pick up DOG S**T!

jimmyg 08-18-2008 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgie
This looks like the best thing to do is tax or ban plastic bags outright. 37M barrels of oil is significant.

You're making too much sense, that's why it will never happen. :confused:

Our elected, corrupt, bought and paid for, self interested, incompetent, officials would NEVER do anything to hurt the profits of Exxon Mobile, or Dow chemical. :angry:

Jim

Colin Colenso 08-18-2008 09:35 AM

A couple of points:
Banning plastic bags would increase fuel prices, the same way banning sales of dog meat would increase the prices of meat.

Also, big deal if plastic doesn't decompose easily. 99.999% of the earth is rock and that doesn't decompose easily.

Funny how the environazis, who have been taken over by the commies, pushed for the replacement of paper bags by plastic bags years ago.

oh, and, plastic bags don' pose a big threat to sea animals. Do some googling and discover, shock horror, that that is another enviro BS campaign.

FWIW: Plastic bags are one of the greatest convenience inventions in human history. They don't pollute my house. Only some government property. Maybe we ought to blame the governments who can't keep their property clean.

Colin

Steve Ellis 08-18-2008 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyg
Why not start with a really useless, wasteful, and costly product.....plastic bags? Most of the shoppers in Europe already bring their own reuseable cloth shopping bags to the supermarket. Why not here in America?? Take a look at this and you'll also wonder!! :angry: Jim

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...DIA02/80505016

Of course we care about our environment, as long as they put the wind powered generator in somebody else's back yard.

Steve Ellis 08-18-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy
I recyclel my Plastic bage to pick up DOG S**T!

That is precisely why that despite my love of dogs, I don't have a dog. If a dog can't run free and dump where it wants I don't want one.
Steve. <== Won't own a "house dog".

tom haney 08-18-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Ellis
That is precisely why that despite my love of dogs, I don't have a dog. If a dog can't run free and dump where it wants I don't want one.
Steve. <== Won't own a "house dog".

LOL! If you had a dog that took one in Lucerne and you didn't immediately clean it up, I honestly believe they would shoot you and the dog.

Cleanest city I've ever seen.

jimmyg 08-18-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Colenso
A couple of points:
Banning plastic bags would increase fuel prices, the same way banning sales of dog meat would increase the prices of meat.

Incorrect analogy. The question here, Colin, is what effect on the price of a DOG would banning the sale of dogmeat have.

Also, big deal if plastic doesn't decompose easily. 99.999% of the earth is rock and that doesn't decompose easily.

Yes, I've been to the great Plastic Mountains, and they are beautiful

Funny how the environazis, who have been taken over by the commies, pushed for the replacement of paper bags by plastic bags years ago.

Let's not forget the styrofoam cup and plate conspiracy

oh, and, plastic bags don' pose a big threat to sea animals. Do some googling and discover, shock horror, that that is another enviro BS campaign.

Tell that to the hundreds of Sea Otters, Dolphins and Manatees that get entangled in plastic bags and suffocate to death every year

FWIW: Plastic bags are one of the greatest convenience inventions in human history. They don't pollute my house. Only some government property. Maybe we ought to blame the governments who can't keep their property clean.

Probably even greater than the wheel

Colin

Colin, hope you know that while I totally disagree with you, my response is not intended to be disrespectful, hopefully only a little funny.:D :confused: :D

Jim

bigshooter 08-19-2008 07:57 AM

We used to have an ALDI supermarket where we lived and you had to purchase bags for ten to twenty cents apiece and reuse them, they were a heavy quality and lasted a long time not the cheapo throw a ways like Walmart.

ALDI has fantastic buys on groceries and everything is streamlined for efficiency, they basically check your groceries out very quickly into another cart then you go to a separate area and bag your own goods.

Plus the carts are stored outside and are chained together like the little baggage carts at the airport you have to put a quarter in to get your cart and you get the quarter back when you put the cart back and chain it back up so there are no carts strung throughout the parking lot and they don't have to pay anyone to go round them up.

You can go into and ALDI store buy a cart load of groceries and be out in 20 minutes, try that at Walmart.

They also let their clerks sit on stools as they work, (never did understand why clerks have to stand all the time) and the starting pay is about $4.00 an hour higher than Walmart which was right across the street.

I have now moved and I really miss not being able to shop there, I saved a on of money and unlike Walmart ALDI actually passed their savings on to the customer and payed their help a decent wage.

Now guess who owns these American supermarkets, yep the Europeans.

jimmyg 08-19-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshooter

They also let their clerks sit on stools as they work, (never did understand why clerks have to stand all the time) and the starting pay is about $4.00 an hour higher than Walmart which was right across the street.

Nice post. This paragraph immediately reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where George felt sorry for a security guard in his girlfriends father's clothing store that had to stand all day, so he bought him a rocking chair to sit in.

Of course, the security guard fell asleep in it while the store was being robbed. :grin: :grin:

Jim

bigskyjake 08-19-2008 09:44 AM

jimmy, try this one time

take all the random trash and shit in your car and stuff it into a Mcdonalds bag, wait til you're on the highway doing 70 and then grab the bag by the open end and thrust it out the window. The resulting explosion of multi colored paper and jerky wrappers is quite beautiful

jimmyg 08-19-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigskyjake
jimmy, try this one time

take all the random trash and shit in your car and stuff it into a Mcdonalds bag, wait til you're on the highway doing 70 and then grab the bag by the open end and thrust it out the window. The resulting explosion of multi colored paper and jerky wrappers is quite beautiful

Sounds absolutely breathtaking Jake......picture please. :grin-devilish:

Jim

bigskyjake 08-19-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyg
Sounds absolutely breathtaking Jake......picture please. :grin-devilish:

Jim

Holding a Mcdonalds bag out the window, holding a camera, and trying to drive at the same time is not a skill I possess. Also, the slim but very real chance of said picture becoming damning evidence is not what I'm looking for