AzBilliards.com

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Great (aka "Historical") Pool Hall Photos (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=32161)

Terry Ardeno 05-14-2006 10:06 AM

Great (aka "Historical") Pool Hall Photos
 
Does anyone have any photos of some of these great pool rooms of the past that you could post for those of us who have never seen them? Bensinger's, Cochran's, the 7/11 in NY, St Elmo's in Norfolk, etc. I would love to see what these renown places looked like, inside & out. All these stories over the years have made these rooms legendary places. Is there a site that has some photos of these places?
Thanks,
Terry

jay helfert 05-14-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Ardeno
Does anyone have any photos of some of these great pool rooms of the past that you could post for those of us who have never seen them? Bensinger's, Cochran's, the 7/11 in NY, St Elmo's in Norfolk, etc. I would love to see what these renown places looked like, inside & out. All these stories over the years have made these rooms legendary places. Is there a site that has some photos of these places?
Thanks,
Terry

Don't forget Ames mister.

freddy the beard 05-15-2006 04:36 AM

Bensingers Billiard Academy
 
4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Ardeno
Does anyone have any photos of some of these great pool rooms of the past that you could post for those of us who have never seen them? Bensinger's, Cochran's, the 7/11 in NY, St Elmo's in Norfolk, etc. I would love to see what these renown places looked like, inside & out. All these stories over the years have made these rooms legendary places. Is there a site that has some photos of these places?
Thanks,
Terry

Terry, here are some pics of me in Bensingers. The second one shows me in my famous Captain America shirt. We could get up on the table because those are 5 x 10's I am playing on, brother! The last photo is me on the bench next to the 6 x 12 snooker table, broke and "carrying the banner." (no place to sleep) Great old days!

the Beard

Steve - Detroit 05-15-2006 04:52 PM

Fred,
any guess on what year that was?

freddy the beard 05-15-2006 05:44 PM

Early 70s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve - Detroit
Fred,
any guess on what year that was?

Those were taken when Artie owned Bensingers. It was in the early 70s.

the Beard

gulfportdoc 05-15-2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay helfert
Don't forget Ames mister.

Right on, Jay. Of course pictures of Ames are pretty well documented in "The Hustler". I went there in 1961, and it was exactly as it was in the movie. I felt as though I was in the high tabernacle of pool. Unfortunately the cook hustled me out of most of my dough playing rotation. I couldn't believe how "lucky" he was...:(

Doc

freddy the beard 05-16-2006 03:35 AM

Ames
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
Right on, Jay. Of course pictures of Ames are pretty well documented in "The Hustler". I went there in 1961, and it was exactly as it was in the movie. I felt as though I was in the high tabernacle of pool. Unfortunately the cook hustled me out of most of my dough playing rotation. I couldn't believe how "lucky" he was...:(

Doc

I went in Ames in 1958 while on pass from Ft Monmouth NJ. When I asked if anybody played banks all I got was guffaws.

the Beard

gulfportdoc 05-16-2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddy the beard
I went in Ames in 1958 while on pass from Ft Monmouth NJ. When I asked if anybody played banks all I got was guffaws.

the Beard

You probably could have all you wanted in one-hole, though. I don't recall banks being played much in the Northeast. I suppose it was mostly a midwestern and upper-central U.S. game. However it is played somewhat over in New Orleans. Eddie Brown is a strong bank pool player. Ever run into him?

Doc

freddy the beard 05-16-2006 06:32 AM

Freddy Sessions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
You probably could have all you wanted in one-hole, though. I don't recall banks being played much in the Northeast. I suppose it was mostly a midwestern and upper-central U.S. game. However it is played somewhat over in New Orleans. Eddie Brown is a strong bank pool player. Ever run into him?

Doc

No, but I used to play a guy named Freddy Sessions who was from New Orleans, was a bank specialist and played it good. He was also a speed freak who would consume 100 2mg "bennies" a day. That resulted from the time he spent on a So. Carolina chain gang -- which he eventually escaped from. He did 5yrs. When picked up later on a minor fed charge the feds refused to extradite Freddy to SC. They figured anybody who spent 5yrs on the chain gang had probably been punished enough. (his full sentence was 30 years)

the Beard


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.