AzBilliards.com

AzBilliards.com (https://forums.azbilliards.com/index.php)
-   Room Owner Discussion (https://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Ball return versus drop pockets (https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=491229)

Songman 03-24-2019 03:13 PM

Ball return versus drop pockets

As I prep for a new room, I see alot of availability of used tables with drop pockets. The majority of tables seem to be Diamond and Brunswick Gold Crowns with returns - but I have discovered some rooms with drop pocket tables.

What are the pros and cons, and regulation rules, concerning these options?

Please educate me.

garczar 03-24-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Songman (Post 6362325)
As I prep for a new room, I see alot of availability of used tables with drop pockets. The majority of tables seem to be Diamond and Brunswick Gold Crowns with returns - but I have discovered some rooms with drop pocket tables.

Please educate me.

Not a room owner but i'm not a fan of ball-return tables. Much prefer balls in the pockets as opposed to digging them out of the box all the time, especially when playing 1p. Diamond sells a ton of them so i guess people like them.

Kevin Lindstrom 03-26-2019 10:49 AM

My opinion

Get the ball return tables. People "casual players" will tire quickly of having to retrieve all of the balls out of the pockets. I think serious player prefer the ball return tables too. I know I much prefer ball return at the poolroom and on my home Gold Crown 4 as well.

Thanks

Kevin

Songman 03-26-2019 11:19 AM

I agree. Ball returns only.

sixpack 03-26-2019 12:36 PM

I always preferred the ball return tables - until I started playing again recently much older and with some back/mobility issues...Bending down to dig balls out of the ball return is much more painful.

So I think older players, in general, will be more likely to favor drop pockets. Younger players will more likely prefer the ball return.

L I F D 1 03-26-2019 01:30 PM

Drop Pockets :)

Songman 03-26-2019 01:38 PM

Good point.

GoldCrown 03-26-2019 02:17 PM

Ball return. Can always be converted for any reason.

Type79 03-26-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Songman (Post 6362325)

Please educate me.

It's personal preference.

I don't like walking around the table to retrienve the balls nor having to empty a full pocket during a game.

I also like the sound of ball returns. I started playing on Gold Crowns with ball returns and have almost exclusively played on Gold Crowns with ball returns including my GC I at home.

In the used market, I can't imagine there being any difference in price between one or the other.

garczar 03-27-2019 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Lindstrom (Post 6363808)
Get the ball return tables. People "casual players" will tire quickly of having to retrieve all of the balls out of the pockets. I think serious player prefer the ball return tables too. I know I much prefer ball return at the poolroom and on my home Gold Crown 4 as well.

Thanks

Kevin

I guess my home room has some "hard-to-tire" players as all(12) big-tables are drop-pocket and no one cuts their sessions short because of the pockets. To each his own but i don't know one person in my circle of playing friends that like ball-return tables except of course bar rags.

Rimfirejunkie 03-27-2019 10:16 PM

Drop pocket. I donít tire retrieving balls and I canít stand the sound.

garczar 03-28-2019 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rimfirejunkie (Post 6364861)
Drop pocket. I donít tire retrieving balls and I canít stand the sound.

Same here. I'd rather take a lap around the table than dig balls out of the box. Playing 1p that really gets old quik.

ĢŁśţāṿ 03-28-2019 07:01 AM

I do not enjoy having to walk around the table everytime to retrieve balls. I prefer having a ball return!

bbb 03-28-2019 07:24 AM

i am not a room owner but here is my 2 cents
if i were to open a room
i would buy
drop pockets because of low maintenance
balls can get stuck in the return tracks
also for onepocket drop pockets are better because your opponent cant conveniently put one of your balls on his side...:grin-square:
for the record
i like the convenience of the ball return for my home table

Rockin' Robin 03-28-2019 09:25 AM

Ball return tables are for Yankees.