Closed bridge

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am a marginal player who is improving at a pretty good rate. One thing though is that I've never used a closed bridge. My question is, do you feel as though experience with a closed bridge is necessary for one to improve or be a "good" player? I've always felt awkward when using a closed bridge, but I'm sure I could get fairly good at it with a lot of practice if necessary, but the question is, do those of you out there feel that it's necessary, or can a player do well enough with an open bridge to be good?
There are some situations where a closed bridge is necessary (e.g., awkward and low rail-cushion bridges), and some players will be more effective with a closed bridge (e.g., if they tend to lift the tip during the stroke due to grip tightening or elbow drop); but with good technique a closed bridge is not generally not required. In fact, an open bridge offers many advantages. For more info, including video demonstrations, see the open vs. closed bridge resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Due to surgery on my left index finger I am unable to bend that finger in order to make a closed bridge. Guess I'll have to give up those long power draws!

I know you are being a bit facetious but you can actually make a closed bridge using your middle finger. It might require turning the hand just a bit clockwise to be comfortable. You might want to give it a try. Or...maybe not.

Regards,
Rick

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although the open bridge is touted for its accuracy since you can sight all the way down the cue, I find that my choice of bridge is usually a matter of comfort. For most shots, I can use a closed or open bridge interchangeably, so I usually let my subconscious dictate the bridge according to how my hand fits best on the table.

There are a few cases where I know I consciously choose a particular bridge. For shots that require more precise aim, sometimes I will go to an open bridge so I can see the tip of the cue from a lower stance. For my break, power draw or extreme english shots, I will usually go with a closed bridge because it allows me to hang onto the cue after the shot more easily.

One interesting experiment you should try is extreme follow and draw shots with an open and closed bridge. I find that I can get just as much action with either bridge, but feel more in control of the cue after the shot with the closed bridge.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
if your stroke is straight using open bridge and you're able to draw well, then you're ok.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A closed bridge isn't necessary but it helps on some shots. This is strictly my impression, I haven't researched it, but I believe most top players use both an open and closed bridge depending on the shot.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
So we all agree, bridge is mostly a matter of preference, unless you're into the "knuckle-claw bridge" or the "weird floaty-fingers bridge". Then you'd need help.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
So we all agree, bridge is mostly a matter of preference, unless you're into the "knuckle-claw bridge" or the "weird floaty-fingers bridge". Then you'd need help.

I'd say it depends on ones proficiency & level of play with an open bridge. A closed bridge might actually be an aid to some players.

But if one can execute all of the shots needed with an open bridge then why would they need to use a closed bridge? The answer is that they would not.

I would suggest that everyone try a closed bridge & if it is comfortable use it, especially on 'power' shots.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yup. I've gone entire portions of a straight pool run using just an open bridge, or just a closed bridge, or flip-flop between styles (because of a hurt finger or what-not), and not even know, until someone -- a "bridge zealot" (which I'll mention later) -- pointed it out to me. They'll ask, "why did you shoot that series of shots using nothing but open bridge, and then suddenly you switched to closed bridge?" My answer is at first an honest "I don't know," followed by a, "probably because the shot dictated it for ball-/rail-obstruction or draw or follow or comfortability reasons."

It might be helpful to realize that there are different styles of closed bridge, as well. While the "index finger looping over and contacting the thumb" seems to be the "classic" picture folks get in their minds when they picture the closed bridge, there are others -- and ones which are now more popular than that style, due to being more conducive to stability and accuracy.

The mislabeled "Filipino bridge" -- where the index finger presses down upon the top of the middle finger -- is almost a de-facto "must know" in the higher echelon of play. This type of bridge creates a "V"-channel inside that the cue shaft is guided on, which is much more accurate than the meaty loop offered by the classic "index finger looped over the shaft and touching the thumb" style. However, there's a trick to orienting that internal "V"-channel vertically so that it offers the same side-to-side stability that an open bridge offers:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3119239#post3119239

And, one of the most unique closed bridges occurs when you take either of the above two types -- the "looped index finger" and/or the "index finger pressing down upon the middle finger" bridges -- and you fold the top half (last two joints) of the middle finger under the hand. In other words, only the upper segment of the middle finger is visible and supporting the cue shaft; the rest of that middle finger is folded under.

Willie Hoppe demonstrates:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sc4iaJWu8Ak#t=2m38s

What this does is to offer even more stability, and, in the case of the index-pressing-down-upon-the-middle finger bridge type, a naturally vertical "V"-channel without lifting the palm of the hand in the air nor any need for "scrunching." I use this for power draw shots, because folding that middle finger under the hand lowers the bridge close to the table surface, and because of its stability, you can really crank on the draw shots with little fear of miscuing, because the apex of the "V"-channel itself is resting on the table surface.

Summary: it's helpful to learn multiple bridge types, not just "open or closed." I see far too many people who choose one side or the other, as if it's an "either / or" contest, and count how many times they use either type, without really understanding why or what purpose each particular bridge type serves. (Or even worse, you get the "bridge-type zealots" who advocate one style of bridge type "no matter what -- you're a noob otherwise.")

It's a more-tools-in-the-toolbag thing, is what it is,
-Sean

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Imitation

I am a marginal player who is improving at a pretty good rate. One thing though is that I've never used a closed bridge. My question is, do you feel as though experience with a closed bridge is necessary for one to improve or be a "good" player? I've always felt awkward when using a closed bridge, but I'm sure I could get fairly good at it with a lot of practice if necessary, but the question is, do those of you out there feel that it's necessary, or can a player do well enough with an open bridge to be good?

Thanks

I began in 1955 with a closed bridge, because the first person I saw play pool used one. I used it almost exclusively for many years, till a teammate and fine player suggested trying the open bridge, explaining why. My game immediately improved.

I do agree with most all the comments here. Today I don't think about it. I "automatically" use closed on some shots and open on others.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
That's what I meant by 'mostly'.

I'm sorry.

I did not mean to come across as disagreeing with or 'correcting' you.

I was just pointing out that there can be benefits & in fact are benefits to both.

I guess my point was that some should perhaps not just choose one for 'preference' sake without knowing the benefits that each offer, which has been fairly well laid out here.

Best Regards,
Rick

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent post Sean!

FYI, I've added a quote with links to the open vs. closed bridge resource page so it will be easy to find in the future.

Good job,
Dave

Yup. I've gone entire portions of a straight pool run using just an open bridge, or just a closed bridge, or flip-flop between styles (because of a hurt finger or what-not), and not even know, until someone -- a "bridge zealot" (which I'll mention later) -- pointed it out to me. They'll ask, "why did you shoot that series of shots using nothing but open bridge, and then suddenly you switched to closed bridge?" My answer is at first an honest "I don't know," followed by a, "probably because the shot dictated it for ball-/rail-obstruction or draw or follow or comfortability reasons."

It might be helpful to realize that there are different styles of closed bridge, as well. While the "index finger looping over and contacting the thumb" seems to be the "classic" picture folks get in their minds when they picture the closed bridge, there are others -- and ones which are now more popular than that style, due to being more conducive to stability and accuracy.

The mislabeled "Filipino bridge" -- where the index finger presses down upon the top of the middle finger -- is almost a de-facto "must know" in the higher echelon of play. This type of bridge creates a "V"-channel inside that the cue shaft is guided on, which is much more accurate than the meaty loop offered by the classic "index finger looped over the shaft and touching the thumb" style. However, there's a trick to orienting that internal "V"-channel vertically so that it offers the same side-to-side stability that an open bridge offers:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3119239#post3119239

And, one of the most unique closed bridges occurs when you take either of the above two types -- the "looped index finger" and/or the "index finger pressing down upon the middle finger" bridges -- and you fold the top half (last two joints) of the middle finger under the hand. In other words, only the upper segment of the middle finger is visible and supporting the cue shaft; the rest of that middle finger is folded under.

Willie Hoppe demonstrates:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sc4iaJWu8Ak#t=2m38s

What this does is to offer even more stability, and, in the case of the index-pressing-down-upon-the-middle finger bridge type, a naturally vertical "V"-channel without lifting the palm of the hand in the air nor any need for "scrunching." I use this for power draw shots, because folding that middle finger under the hand lowers the bridge close to the table surface, and because of its stability, you can really crank on the draw shots with little fear of miscuing, because the apex of the "V"-channel itself is resting on the table surface.

Summary: it's helpful to learn multiple bridge types, not just "open or closed." I see far too many people who choose one side or the other, as if it's an "either / or" contest, and count how many times they use either type, without really understanding why or what purpose each particular bridge type serves. (Or even worse, you get the "bridge-type zealots" who advocate one style of bridge type "no matter what -- you're a noob otherwise.")

It's a more-tools-in-the-toolbag thing, is what it is,
-Sean

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Practice it. Why take a potentially useful tool out of your bag? It can come in handy for a variety of situations. Most of the time when a closed bridge is uncomfortable it's because you don't yet have the dexterity in your bridge hand that is necessary to manipulate your fingers into position. This comes with time and practice.

FWIW, I think that the closed bridge was more necessary back in the days of nappy cloth and slow tables. You had to hit shots harder in general, and that can be easier for some people with a closed bridge. Now with fast cloth and tables, it's not as necessary as it once was, but it's still useful to have when you do need to hit that table length power draw. Also, people who think they can cue more accurately with a closed bridge probably don't have a dead straight stroke imo. If your stroke is dead straight, you should be hitting the proper contact point regardless of what kind of bridge you're using. If your tip is moving around and not cueing accurately, that's a stroke problem, not a bridge problem.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's my standard answer. It's been modified over the years, but it revolves around the same theme:

-------------------------

I'm open-hand heavy. But, I think that's because the top professionals that I saw most growing up (Rempe and Sigel) were open-hand heavy.

The progression goes something like this:

Can't make a bridge to save my life
Make an awkward open bridge
Make an awkward closed bridge
Make a good closed bridge
Re-incorporate a good open bridge
Use the open bridge a lot

Often times, a properly formed and used open hand bridge incorporated or re-incorporated into the overall American pool game can be a sign of advancement, as opposed to only thought of as a beginner's bridge. Those who only think of an open hand bridge as a beginner's bridge are missing something.

Most if not all top players use both open and closed. There really is no steadfast reason to use one over the other for most normal shots. You'll see more people close it for power and power spin shots, while they open up or finesse and stretched out reach shots.

Freddie <~~~ YMMV

RonnieOSullivan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all your guys' answers; I will certainly begin to practice with the closed bridge. And I'm honored that the great Dr Dave responded to me directly! :D

Cheers all