Score keeping error

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In watching the Jason Shaw-Rodney Morris match in the recent American 14.1 event, the commentators were of the understanding (whether they were correct or not, I'm not sure, and it doesn't matter for purposes of my question) that Shaw had neglected to update his score after one of the racks and was therefore thinking that he had pocketed 14 fewer balls than was in fact the case. This apparent deficit persisted, rack after rack. Shaw won the match (after pocketing 14 more balls than the commentators believed to be necessary), so the uncertainty about the score was ultimately academic. There was no referee.

The commentators' view was that keeping one's score is one's own responsibility, and that it would be improper for them (the commentators) to notify Shaw of his error. It struck me that they were implicitly saying that they saw nothing wrong with a player (here, Morris), if aware of his opponent's error, staying quiet.

Personally, I think that if you are aware that your opponent is shorting himself, you should tell him. Simply a matter of good sportsmanship. End of discussion. But I'm curious as to how this situation has played out in tournament matches that some of you, I'm guessing, have seen or been a part of.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rules don't cover very well what to do about scoring errors. My own feeling is that everyone should do their best to ensure an accurate score. I don't think it should all be on the player.

A celebrated error was in a tournament when the referee announced "Mr. Crane is playing for 3." (That's what the ref is supposed to do as appropriate.) Irving Crane then shot off the remaining balls figuring he only needed the 3 easy ones. Then the scorekeeper piped up, "Oops, Mr. Crane needs another ball."

Crane lost the match and a lawsuit ensued.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The rules don't cover very well what to do about scoring errors. My own feeling is that everyone should do their best to ensure an accurate score. I don't think it should all be on the player.

A celebrated error was in a tournament when the referee announced "Mr. Crane is playing for 3." (That's what the ref is supposed to do as appropriate.) Irving Crane then shot off the remaining balls figuring he only needed the 3 easy ones. Then the scorekeeper piped up, "Oops, Mr. Crane needs another ball."

Crane lost the match and a lawsuit ensued.

I’m curious about the outcome of the lawsuit, Bob.

In snooker, it is up to the player to see that everything is in order when he shoots.
....I’m thinking that should include the proper score.
I’m not giving the Deacon much sympathy here....he lost track.