Diamond Bigfoot Ten Ball Challenge

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It will be an elite sixteen player field this year once again. The format is $1,000 entry fee per player with $16,000 in added money for a total purse of $32,000. The winner will receive $16,000, Runner-up $8,000, and third-fourth $4,000 each. All matches are a Race to Eleven and it's Single elimination all the way. The Bigfoot Challenge will begin on Jan. 24 (Friday), the first day of Derby City, and end on Jan. 27 (Monday). ALL matches will be played in the Accu-Stats arena, streamed live online and recorded for later television viewing in selected markets.

I have begun to invite players and some have already responded. The field is shaping up just fine. Here are the original invitees. Shane, Francisco, Dennis O., Efren, Corey, Jayson, Alex, Niels, Jon Pinegar, Nick Ekonomopolous, Karl Boyes, Chris Melling, Wang Can, Carlo Biado, CJ Wiley and Phil Burford. It is entirely possible that several of these players will not be playing this year. The alternate list will include John Schmidt, Lee Van Corteza, Rob Saez, Chris Bartrum and Keith Bennett.

Any of the above players (or their friends) who see their names here should contact me asap, if they haven't already. jayhelfert@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I agree with your invite list! Nice to see some new blood getting center stage for a CHANGE!

KD

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
Looking forward to it, love the Bigfoot Challenge games. I noticed a couple absent names from that list that played in the Bigfoot Challenge previously, though recent discussions has hinted as to why this is.

Mr. Helfert. On a side note, I recently read "Pool Wars". That was an excellent read and I look forward to your next published piece as well. I especially loved reading about some of the "somewhat" local (to me) history in the pool scene.
My family owned a small joint where the main focus was the pool tables from the mid 70's to the mid to late 80's in North Columbus, Ohio. (Well the true main focus was the poker house Pops owned and run behind the bar, until the multiple Fed raids put an end to that good fun). I was a young boy when it opened, but as a young teen I cut my pool playing teeth on those barbox tables day & night every chance I got, when I wasn't stocking the bar, cleaning up or sneaking around getting in to mischief.

I'm not going to name drop here, but a couple of the names you wrote about (albeit a quite a few years later) and a hand full other well known local names of the day would frequent Pops place and gamble it up, both on the pool tables and the poker tables out back. I sure do miss those days, a lot of fun was to be had at any given moment at the drop of a hat. Truth be told, I wouldn't want to do a lot of it again though, if you know what I mean. :wink:

Just wanted to share with you that your book was a joy to read, and sparked a lot fo familiar good memories of my youth as well. Like I said, I look forward to your future writings.

Dopc.

Goldcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a great format.
One that could draw a full field even if you did one every few months.
Maybe qualifiers set up the same way for players of the next tier down to earn their way into the big show.
The sport needs some new and different things thrown out there about now.
Thanks for making something happen and good luck with it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two questions, Jay.

1. No Archer?
2. Do you know what the selected markets are yet?

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Two questions, Jay.

1. No Archer?
2. Do you know what the selected markets are yet?

Really Beiber!!!

This has been asked and answered!!!

I am glad he is not on the list! That $27,850 he made this year WILL look more like $11,500 next year, given the NEW WORLD ORDER!!! Hard head makes a soft a$$. LOL

KD

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really Beiber!!!

This has been asked and answered!!!

I am glad he is not on the list! That $27,850 he made this year WILL look more like $11,500 next year, given the NEW WORLD ORDER!!! Hard head makes a soft a$$. LOL

KD

Sorry dude, I don't read every single thread here. At first I assumed it might have something to do with BB, but then I saw Corey's name on the list.

Or maybe it has something to do with something else. In any case, it does sound like it was not a typo that Archer's name wasn't included, and that's fine.

Jay, you can ignore my first question.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
jay, how about Ko Pin-Yi, Chang Jung-Lin and Kuo Po-Cheng for the alternate list? Maybe Johann Chua too and Jeff Diaz from Pi.
These young guns would completely change the playing field.

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Psyched for this. I like the idea of playing all the matches in the arena this year. Easier to watch. Can't wait to get there. Is it January yet?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Hey Jay,

Just a suggestion, but how about an invite to one of the Middle East players! They come a long way and play their hearts out. It would be a sign of good will and a kind gesture. Not sure if they are coming but I have seen their delegation of 5 or 6 players at MOST big events. US open 2012 first round match with Jayson Shaw went hill to hill and they can play! They may say no but I think it best to embrace a NEW market for the sport and be more inclusive. Again, just a thought! Same for china players if they chose to attend!

KD