Kamui Roku

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I bought a piece of Roku chalk. Tried it last night. Prior to using it I took a pic. What I will do is take a pic once a week as it wears down and log the hours played with.

As for how I like it. I hate the idea of the cost. I love how it stays on the tip (shot 20 draw shots without a miscue). I think it lasts longer because after you apply it, you only "touch up" the tip. It also appears to actually grip the ball more (more action than expected).

Pete

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that's all I do with Blue Diamond. I clean the chalk off my tips always before I put them up after play, then when I play again I chalk up. I then only "touch up" during play, and I rarely miscue. Of course I "touch up" after almost every shot. (about $3.00 per cube)

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Well that's all I do with Blue Diamond. I clean the chalk off my tips always before I put them up after play, then when I play again I chalk up. I then only "touch up" during play, and I rarely miscue. Of course I "touch up" after almost every shot. (about $3.00 per cube)

Same; except I use Magic Chalk.

Several players on my team, including my dad, use Kamui chalk. They love it. All have said they're going to try Roku, next.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does it stick to the cue ball. I tried the kamui chalk because I was mad at my money. Cue call could have been mistake for the two ball, and all the ob's had visible chalk on then as well. No thanks. Magic chalk is grittier than masters and leaves the Cue ball pretty clean.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How Many Readers Haven’t Read Dr. Dave’s Evaluation of Pool Chalks?

Why is it important to be able to shoot a dozen,
2 dozen or even 3 dozen shots without chalking?

Dr. Dave has shown thru empirical data that all pool
chalks perform the exact same way and there is no
discernible difference in brands of chalks when the
pool chalk is properly applied. If you chalk your tip
after every shot, just do it walking to the next shot,
your $25 designer pool chalk isn’t any better or does
anything different than the free chalk at the pool hall.

If the player does not adopt a consistent pre-shot
routine and adhere to it, then using a chalk that lasts
or remains on your cue tip a little longer makes sense.
In fact, you can probably chalk every other shot using
free chalk at the pool hall. Personally, I use BD because
of its cleanliness and resistance to flaking, not because
it is stays on longer. And the price seemed reasonable
for a carton box that I got several years ago for $80. Still
have enough chalk remaining I won’t need any for several
years. I brush my chalk when applying it to my cue’s tip. I
do not twist my chalk and core the middle. You hear players
squeaking the chalk when applying it. What a absolutely
stupid thing to do when putting chalk on your cue tip....OMG.

Anyway, I chuckle when I see guys playing with these premier
designer chalks when their opponent is using the free Master
Billiard Chalk that the pool hall provides. Both chalks perform
exactly alike when properly applied....just visit Dr. Dave’s website.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like the Pyro chalk. Not based on any performance claim but I like how my hands aren't nearly as dirty as they are when I use Master.

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Kamui Rocks

Both chalks perform exactly alike when properly applied....just visit Dr. Dave’s website.

no offense Bavafongoul

This is so far from the truth I don't even know where to start.

Dr Dave is a great contributor but not the end all. There is a great difference in some chalks like Kamui and Masters. Honestly to me this is just another "I can get away with saying anything" and some might even consider this sharking. Literally telling someone to go use the free stuff because it's better. Really? I mean the outright stupidity of these statements astounds me.

Looking at a variety of samples. see attached photo there is a clear difference in the composition between kamui, Taom, old Balabushka and Masters or Diamond. Taom is not pictured btw.

Much of this I would assume goes down to particle size but since it would cost a good $10,000 to test that I'm thinking a Microscope would be enough for me. But it's that size that make a difference in a variety of ways like tackieness, and roughness, and contact effects, and depending on your tip material and the type of chalk your going to be adding in scuffing or not so much. As far as I'm concerned the type of chalk you should use depends on the shot and the tip and the style of game you want to play.

Roku over a base of 0.98 is pretty nice on a Kamui SS but not on my break tips.

Attachments

• chalks.jpg
    chalks.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 485

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Corey Deuel busted the all chalks are the same myth at Expo in front of a crowd a few years ago with a simple notebook... He used the notebook to limit how low he coud go and kept turning pages to go lower until he hit the miscue limit for Master... He then cleaned his tip and applied a premium and continued to turn pages and go lower and lower without miscue.....

SO not all chalks will be the same... Some will be.. Caveat Emptor....

54462776_328458991164635_8456777497583812608_n.jpg

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roku is fine.. I like how soft the original Kumi is so I use that.

When people complain how expensive it is I’ve been playing with the same piece of chalk for over a year and I play every day. I’ll easily get another 6 months out of it lol I chalk between racks and I put a lite layer on . So it will come out to less then $2.00 a month. If I got to worry about the cost of $2.00 a month I got bigger financial problems then the cost of chalk lol

I did my experiment because I feel people over chalk. I used predator chalk.. which I don’t think is any better then masters.. the same way I use kamui. Once a rack .. lite coat. I had no miscues. Thats just my personal observation.. opinions may vary.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I use BD because of its cleanliness and resistance to flaking, not because
do not twist my chalk and core the middle.

You hear players squeaking the chalk when applying it. What a absolutely

I really, really tried to stay out of this thread. But, boy, what, what an elitist nit you have become. Oh, those horrible folks that don't chalk just like you, by swiping gently while eating Grey Poupon. You laugh at folks that don't use free Masters. And you want to poke fun at $25 chalk and even referring it as designer chalk, while you actually use...... wait for it..... designer chalk (Blue Diamond) . Do you even listen to yourself. OMG :withstupid:

Last edited:

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member

If the player does not adopt a consistent pre-shot
routine and adhere to it, then using a chalk that lasts
or remains on your cue tip a little longer makes sense.
In fact, you can probably chalk every other shot using
free chalk at the pool hall. Personally, I use BD because
of its cleanliness and resistance to flaking, not because
do not twist my chalk and core the middle. You hear players
squeaking the chalk when applying it. What a absolutely

More drivel from you. You're the same type of person to chastise someone for using a Lucasi or Players cue. You're pretentious about your cues, though:
""My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood) "

Just not pretentious about your chalk. "OMG" and "chuckle" at that.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I just did an experiment, albeit not with roku.

I used predator for like 3 weeks, 1-2 hours a day, and nothing else. In that time the chalk was fine, but I had to keep scuffing my damn tip constantly. It seems the predator isn't abrasive enough to keep my tip in the condition I like it. Masters is, but I miscue a little more with it (I chalk like every 15 shots or so). With masters and a milkdud I have to do zero tip maintenance. Masters seems to coat better, too.

Maybe I'll try something like roku next. I would like to miscue less AND not have to scuff my tip all the time.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CHALK WARS 2019!!!

To be fair, I don't think b'fongoul said that all chalks are the same, he said they all perform the same based off of Dr. Dave's experiments.

Now, Dr. Dave has put a ton of effort into his chalk research-more than I ever thought one man would ever do for free- and I have no reason to question the results.

But- Like so many things in pool it can be subjective. I prefer Pechauer cues, Championship cloth instead of simonis on my table, and green Master's post flag chalk. Why? That is just what I have found most beneficial for me...it is what I like.

However, thanks to the OP for this thread. I am always interested in learning and trying out new things...who knows, maybe one day one of these fancy chalks will win me over.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP here.

So the reason for this thread (from me) was to not permute Roku. It was and will be to show how long it lasts. My thoughts on how good it is. And if I think it adds value if any.

As for now I feel (but this could be in my head) it does grip the cue ball a little more than Master and Predator (but it could be in my head). I took pictures of the Predator chalk that I used for a whole 40 hoursish. I am a chalk before every shot PSR and brusher though I tend to brush center to edge. Now I am trying to do edge to center (like they show in the youtube video). I will if I can figure it out add pictures of the chalk to show it's wear and how many hours of use (mostly practice 3 days a week by and play league once with 2 hours solo prior and Sundays 5 hours 1 hour solo there.

My thoughts are that I go through a Master cube in a month or 2 so if it lasts 6 + months and is 10% (not miscuing) then it's worth it to me.

I also use Kamui Black Super Soft fyi...

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I love how [Roku] stays on the tip (shot 20 draw shots without a miscue). I think it lasts longer because after you apply it, you only "touch up" the tip. It also appears to actually grip the ball more (more action than expected).

I tried this with the 0.98 when it was first released. I played 10 racks of 10-ball without a miscue. However, afterward the chalk had hardened into a glaze across the tip. It was an interesting experiment to see how long I could make it last.

I currently use a base layer of 0.98 and then touch it up with Balabushka chalk as needed (usually every 2-3 shots or when I need a lot of follow/draw/side).

This seems to work well for me. I will eventually try the Roku when I empty out my stash of 0.98.