Your first ( good ) cue

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
1981 vertical logo Huebler H1 with black butt and joint.

Sold it later to one of the local regular players for $75. He came by the tavern and picked it up, went home and leaned it up by his dresser in his room and had to go out on errands.

When he got back home, his dog had found the new wood chew toy and destroyed it. He never got to hit a single ball with it.:eek:

Saddest pool story ever!:frown:

I guess that gives new meaning to the term "dogged it."

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Palmer, # 4 in this catalog:http://www.palmercollector.com/1stCatalogOriginalScan.html
Lot of people liked this cue and it was borrowed more than once. After I got my custom Joss from Dan Janes (long before Joss Cues LTD.) I sold it to a guy well known for busting cues and throwing them in the river! Not sure if that happened to mine but the guy was known for it.

Yours looks almost the same as my Palmer except mine had a round butt cap. Yours looks like a brass joint. Was it? Mine was. And mine had a black leather wrap. Loved that cue.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
"Custom" is, really, just the act of "changing" anything on a production cue when you order it. Like, if it comes with a linen wrap and I tell them I want a leather wrap, then the cue is, technically, "custom". By most definitions, though, "custom" means built totally to *your* ( or anyone else's if you buy a used cue ) specs. I have a few of those and, yeah, they cost more. A matter of taste, really. I've had way more production cues than I have had "custom".

Makes sense to me, that's how I looked at it but hate threads that get hung up on semantics. :wink: I did customize as I changed the lizard embossed wrap to black linen and added multiple rings to the extra Maple shaft I ordered. Have to shoot it awhile to see what tips I want on each shaft. Thanks.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Makes sense to me, that's how I looked at it but hate threads that get hung up on semantics. :wink: I did customize as I changed the lizard embossed wrap to black linen and added multiple rings to the extra Maple shaft I ordered. Have to shoot it awhile to see what tips I want on each shaft. Thanks.

Sounds like a nice cue... god luck with it!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
First cue was a Rich. I was earning $42.40 a week. The cue cost about $32. I loved that cue.

bstroud

Deceased
My first good cue was a Willie Hoppe 2 piece with a brass joint and a leather wrap.

I bought it at the Brunswick store in Dallas. (Yes Brunswick had real stores in those days.)

Alfie Taylor and I think Jack Potter were both with me.
I paid $17.95

I was maybe 17 at the time.

Played with it until I bought a Rambo in Johnson City.

Bill Stroud

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My first good cue was a Willie Hoppe 2 piece with a brass joint and a leather wrap.

I bought it at the Brunswick store in Dallas. (Yes Brunswick had real stores in those days.)

Alfie Taylor and I think Jack Potter were both with me.
I paid $17.95

I was maybe 17 at the time.

Played with it until I bought a Rambo in Johnson City.

Bill Stroud

I want another Rambow soooooooooo bad!!! MAKE ME ONE, BILL!!! PLEASE????????

( I'll tell *everyone* it's a real Rambow. No one will EVER KNOW you un-retired long enough to make it. Money is NO object! )

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yours looks almost the same as my Palmer except mine had a round butt cap. Yours looks like a brass joint. Was it? Mine was. And mine had a black leather wrap. Loved that cue.

Mine had a round butt cap also! That catalog was the only one I could find with that cue. Yes, brass joint, linen wrap.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Mine had a round butt cap also! That catalog was the only one I could find with that cue. Yes, brass joint, linen wrap.

We had the same cue! Except for the wraps. Solid black joint rings, right? I loved it cause it looked almost the same ( except no Hoppe ring ) as my Rambow I'd just sold a few months before. Wild Wing has one in his avatar but only the butt-cap is showing.

Solid-hitting cue. Wish I still had it.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine might have been a Rich too.

(insert flashback music)

My first cue was a carefully considered investment I made one day after another of my runs through the sporting goods department of The Emporium, a glorious downtown department store on Market Street, right across from the cable car turn platform. The store was a throwback to San Francisco’s post earthquake glory days, with its huge glass dome, and was the place my family purchased a good many of our necessities over the years.

I saw The Cue that became the object of my lust displayed in a glass case there. The first time I saw it I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. And, with every passing visit, my desire grew and grew until it could not be denied. Somehow I scrimped and saved the $29.00 ransom the store wanted for the cue -- with its own faux leather luggage-style case, with red flocked interior, which I personally felt showed the cue to its best advantage -- and sealed the deal one memorable weekend.

The Cue was a transcendent thing of beauty: polished brass joint; rich polyurethaned walnut forearm; red and black specked nylon wrap (genuine); and a butt plate of iridescent multicolored rings. I thought my Mom and Dad were going to kill me when they found out I had squandered most of my meager funds on “a pool cue?!” and I suffered some withering words, offered in fatherly counsel, about “wasting” my money. But I did not care. It was worth it all.

I remember frequently locking myself in my room and lovingly wiping down the forearm of The Cue, using several paper towels and much of my Mom’s can of Pledge. To this day, like catching the wafting scent of a perfume favored by an old flame, a whiff of lemon-scented Pledge still reminds me of that cue and our first summer together. After a few months I came to realize that the black luggage-style case (with red flocked interior) made my look of aspiring hustler somewhat less than credible and I switched over to a soft plain black zippered case.

Man, I loved that cue.

Lou Figueroa

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Mine might have been a Rich too.

(insert flashback music)

My first cue was a carefully considered investment I made one day after another of my runs through the sporting goods department of The Emporium, a glorious downtown department store on Market Street, right across from the cable car turn platform. The store was a throwback to San Francisco’s post earthquake glory days, with its huge glass dome, and was the place my family purchased a good many of our necessities over the years.

I saw The Cue that became the object of my lust displayed in a glass case there. The first time I saw it I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. And, with every passing visit, my desire grew and grew until it could not be denied. Somehow I scrimped and saved the $29.00 ransom the store wanted for the cue -- with its own faux leather luggage-style case, with red flocked interior, which I personally felt showed the cue to its best advantage -- and sealed the deal one memorable weekend.

The Cue was a transcendent thing of beauty: polished brass joint; rich polyurethaned walnut forearm; red and black specked nylon wrap (genuine); and a butt plate of iridescent multicolored rings. I thought my Mom and Dad were going to kill me when they found out I had squandered most of my meager funds on “a pool cue?!” and I suffered some withering words, offered in fatherly counsel, about “wasting” my money. But I did not care. It was worth it all.

I remember frequently locking myself in my room and lovingly wiping down the forearm of The Cue, using several paper towels and much of my Mom’s can of Pledge. To this day, like catching the wafting scent of a perfume favored by an old flame, a whiff of lemon-scented Pledge still reminds me of that cue and our first summer together. After a few months I came to realize that the black luggage-style case (with red flocked interior) made my look of aspiring hustler somewhat less than credible and I switched over to a soft plain black zippered case.

Man, I loved that cue.

Lou Figueroa

Lou - Reading this strongly reminds me of the narrator in "A Christmas Story" with Ralphie and his Red Rider BB rifle.

'You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

I've missed that National cue practically since the day I sold it. I used to put it together at home ( still do with my other cues, lately it's been the Carmeli ), get semi-hammered with "recreational" substances and shoot imaginary balls on the counter tops for hours. I just didn't want to let go of that cue, literally.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Man, am I in the wrong thread.

1st - a Schon I don't remember
2nd - a Meucci I don't remember
3rd - a Predator I don't remember
4th - a custom shaft on any old butt that I still play with

Eat your hearts out.

pj
chgo

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Man, am I in the wrong thread.

1st - a Schon I don't remember
2nd - a Meucci I don't remember
3rd - a Predator I don't remember
4th - a custom shaft on any old butt that I still play with

Eat your hearts out.

pj
chgo

Eating as I type, Mr. Schmeucciator.

( it's gonna be bloody )

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First cue
Brunswick Willie Hoppe large butt,brass joint about $17

Rambro with white ring,conversion of Ebony sneaky pete
,but it had a smaller butt. I loved that cue,it cost $20

Then I got a Palmer with mother of pearl,I loved it too

Then Billy made me an ivory joint ebony merry widow about the same time
I got a Balabushka. I actually preferred the Joss to play with
Billy tried to get me not to get ebony on ebony,too heavy but i loved it

My first Balabushka was ugly,looked like purina checkerboard squares on the butt
cost about $110,I bought another one with Hoppe style for $125

I was now in high cotton

Not sure which one you would consider to be the first good cue
I thought they were all good ones

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Rambow

Took a one piece house cue (complements of ELMHURST RECREATION) to Herman's shop which was downtown on Wabash via the "L" in 58.

He converted it into a 2 piece cue with primo Cortland wrap for next to nothing.

So it began...

Michael Andros

Silver Member
First cue
Brunswick Willie Hoppe large butt

Rambro with white ring,conversion of Ebony sneaky pete
,but it had a smaller butt. I loved that cue

Then I got a Palmer with mother of pearl,I loved it too

Then Billy made me an ivory joint ebony merry widow about the same time
I got a Balabushka. I actually preferred the Joss to play with

Not sure which one you would consider to be the first good cue
I thought they were all good ones

Works for me! :grin:

How you feeling?

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First cue was a McDermott that I bought in 1980 at the pro shop that Henry Harnish had downstairs from his upstairs room, Towne Billiards in Morristown NJ. Bought a cheap Yanez hard case with it. It was probably a C Series McDermott. I barely had it in my hands when I saw all these other players playing with these beautiful Josswest cues and I immediately knew that I had to have one. So I traded in the McDermott for a 4 point, four veneer, five window, SS joint JW. Cortland wrap. Cost me about $225, as I recall. That was probably in addition to trading in the McDermott, which had cost me about $100, I think. Still have the JW and would never, ever part with it. Will post a photo if I can figure out how to do that.