Kamui chalk

mr8ball

I have got the chance to try some of the Kamui chalk lately and have to say I am impressed. I use a Jacoby cue with the Jacoby Hybird shaft and the Kamui Med tip. The stick has always played great and I have really been pleased with it. The other night while playing around I stared trying a few shots just to see how much the chalk really helped. With the master chalk I could shoot a back cut shot and have ben able to draw the ball from above the side pocket and draw the ball across the table and one rail to about the 2nd to the 3rd diamond below the side pocked. I have done this quite a few times and pretty consist. Now with the Kamui chalk using the same stroke I can draw the ball and scratch or to the bottom rail with no trouble at all. I have also found that if I use a softer stroke I can really move the ball in and out of gaps that I never could before with the master. Anyone else have as much success with this chalk? Just wondering

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
My curiosity got the better of me and I invested in one piece just to see what all the buzz was about. Well, suffice it to say that I can notice the grab easily. I can't go 3 racks without a miscue but I miscue less definitely. I think I get more spin.

Now the real question is, when this one is gone will I pony up another $28 for my next piece ? The way i look at it, if I am playing league, a tournament, or gambling, as badly as I play I need a friggin edge. If I don't miscue at all that night it's well worth it, but chalking on each shot SHOULD be a part of my pre-shot routine. Do I forgo chalking intentionally to save the $28 piece of chalk ?

The jury's still out :cool:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I got a piece for Christmas last year (thanks Santa!) and I too immediately noticed a difference. It grabs good. I shot nine racks of 9-ball ghost without chalking without a miscue and may have played more but I looked at my tip after the nine racks and it "looked" like I needed to chalk, so I did. I no longer use the chalk because of two reasons: I could NOT get used to not chalking after most shots, and the Kamui chalk leaves a LOT of itself on the cueball. It IS the grabbingest (is that a word :confused:) chalk I have ever used.

I will tell you this though, be sure to put it back into the little ziplock bag when you're done for the night, or it will dry up on you.

Maniac (has settled on Blue Diamond brand chalk for competing)

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
there will soon be a better chalk on the market.....i wont say when and i wont say from whom....but it is the best chalk i have i ever used...:cool:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
there will soon be a better chalk on the market.....i wont say when and i wont say from whom....but it is the best chalk i have i ever used...:cool:

I hope it will be inexpensive!!!

Maniac (thinks Kamui is "gouging" us poolplayers)

mr8ball

I wonder what makes it ware out if you don't keep it in the plastic? I put mine in my chalk holder and threw the bag away. It is also hard for me not to chalk after every shot. I did not pay for mine and I hope if it works out I can get some more in the future just in case. I forgot to tell you that I went to jump a ball with my Jacoby jump cue and chalked it with the Kamui chalk and it grabbed the ball so good that when it hit the table it came to a complete stop as soon as it hit the table. I guess it will take some getting use to. Two :thumbup: :thumbup: for me so far.

blucollar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It grabs good for sure. It also leaves a nice mess all over your felt and balls too. Actually ruins the felt IMO. The reason you dont see it too much is not the price...people will always pay for a good poduct no matter what...the stuff just isnt worth it. I suggest trying magic chalk...hard to get but works great!

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I didn't realize that you needed to keep it in the bag either. I cut into the bag with a scissors. Gotta get another bag...:eek:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I didn't realize that you needed to keep it in the bag either. I cut into the bag with a scissors. Gotta get another bag...:eek:

From my experience, when I left it out of the bag for an extended period, it became drier and went on/played more like Blue Diamond brand chalk, which isn't all bad, but if I'm paying darn near $30 for Kamui chalk (which I didn't), I want it to apply and work like Kamui chalk.

Maniac

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I wonder what happens if I put a cube of Blue Diamond and/or Master in a plastic bag with a little bit of damp paper towel? Is it the humidity that makes the chalk grabbier? Worth an experiment.

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just can't pay that price for chalk. Yes, I've used masters my whole life and can ALWAYS attribute all miscues to SOME action on my part everytime it happens, which isn't often, btw.

That being said, for me personally, I just don't see the value.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I attribute any miscues with Kamui chalk to a defective unicorn used in the manufacturing process. Nothing is ever my fault. Ever. Ever. Ever.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Is the theory that the chalk sticks to the cue ball like a wet piece of chewing gum and somehow grabs hold of whitey and twirls it backwards harder?

Whereas a slippery tip with bad chalk or no chalk just slides right off the contact point like a wet banana peel?

I don't think it works that way. Draw is caused by your tip hitting the ball at a certain place, with a certain amount of force. That's it. Having the tip grip more might actually hurt that... I think the ball has all that backspin generated at the moment of impact. you want the ball to get away from the tip, not cling to it for a few nanoseconds longer.

If someone is drawing a ball better it's because they either A: hit lower or B: hit harder.

If you wanna argue that the kamui lets you hit lower without a miscue, that would make more sense than it magically adds spin that your stick didn't cause. But most players can hit lower than they think they'll get away with. Fear holds them back from hitting truly low. So a player with kamui on his tip might hit lower only because he thinks it's 'safer' when in reality he could have done the same thing with masters.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought some to try it out. Liked it a lot.
Didn't make a new man out of me. Didn't change my world.
I just liked it, kept with it, it lasts me a long time, I can afford it.
Nothing more dramatic than that.

I didn't really wanna like it. Magic Rack, either.
Now I prefer, and liberally use, both.
Old dog, learned new tricks. What the hell.

Last edited:

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
You guys are making my pockets turn inside out on me talking like this. I really would like to give some a try, But I also said to myself I wouldent hop on the kamui wagon lol

sfmc-x1

I Sell Out.
Silver Member

A better chalk than Kamui?

You can cut this with Silver Cup and still make a fortune on ebay. :thumbup:

Attachments

• kamui.jpg
    kamui.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 219

Andrewjoseph

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bdorman said:
I wonder what happens if I put a cube of Blue Diamond and/or Master in a plastic bag with a little bit of damp paper towel? Is it the humidity that makes the chalk grabbier? Worth an experiment.

Interesting question. I think i might try it.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

Kamuitipsdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The purpose of the chalk bag is to keep it from making a mess in your cue case. There isn't any moisture in the compound. Adding moisture to the compound will most likely mess it up.

If you are getting a mess on the cue ball and the cloth:
1. you are chalking too much
2. you should be using the harder formula 1.21

I hope this helps.

mr8ball

Well after 3 days of playing with it I have to say I am pretty impressed. Learning just how much I can move the cue ball and with such ease is really getting my game back on track. I do see a few marks on the cue ball after I chalk the first time but I have yet to see anything on the table from it. We play on blue cloth so that might have something to do with it. I am very pleased with it and am getting use not having to chalk so much. I do however find that I will chalk if I am having to draw the ball the length of the table but it is well worth it when I see how easy I can do it now. I am sure they would triple or quadruple their sales if they were to lower the price JMO

Flintlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I got mine a month or two ago, I never heard about having to leave it in the bag, so I didn't. It still sticks like new. The biggest difference for me is if the tip has been prepped or not. My gator grip should be sitting at my doorstep when I get home and i'll try and verify after that.